Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best way to learn 3D manuevers?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best way to learn 3D manuevers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:59 AM
epeltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to learn 3D manuevers?

I am going into my 4th year of RC flying an wanted to try and learn 3D starting this winter on my RF G2 sim. For someone who knows how to fly, what is the best approach to learning 3D. What should the maneuver sequence be, that is what is the easiest to learn to help you with the next maneuver that follows? Also I have been looking at both the Mini 3D and the .40 size 540 from Extreme Flight. Both are smaller size, which is nice for loading the truck. My plans are to practice all winter with the sim to just get the feel of what the sticks should do, then fly my sport planes and feel comfortable doing fast rolls and knife edges, etc with high rates, then move to the 3D plane with low rates and move toward 3D rates as I get better. I downloaded the oversize Cap from G2 sim web and it is a bit to get used to. I can tell most of you have been doing this for a while so if any can remember what steps they took to get better at 3D it would be great. I have found some good web pages and I am trying to learn from them also, but will take any tips on where to begin as well as if those planes I am looking at are a good beginner 3D plane or not. If any one knows of how to use the G2sim to get the most practice, as in plane ans setup to use that would also be great. I am not even ure about which surface I should be moving to correct or hold each position, but am learning.
Thanks
Ed
Old 12-21-2003, 09:11 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: Best way to learn 3D manuevers?

There are a couple of "course snippets" in our University. These will soon be linked to books that you can get on 3D. But at least it's an intro!
Old 12-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best way to learn 3D manuevers?

Ed,
I think that G2 is a great training aid for getting used to controlling the airplane in unusual attitudes. My advice would be to practice some of the more traditional maneuvers like knife edge(both sides) and then work into the harder 3D stuff.

Unfortunately G2 has some limitations with some of the more extreme maneuvers like blenders. That being the case it won't give you everything you need to become an accomplished 3D pilot but it will get you started.

I started out by working on knife edge, you can use the small CAP 232 that comes with the sim for familarity with the maneuver. The small cap requires some speed to maintain altitude while in knife edge flight. Once you have the feel of knife edge move into slow rolls, these combine knife edge stick inputs during the roll and to do them well require a LOT of practice and coordination. Start out with the little cpa and the move up to the CAP 232 2X available from the Realflight downloads page. The larger cap will fly much slower but getting the rolls and knife edge down with the smaller one will help to "round" out your technique. Knife edge at slower speeds requires a lot of throttle management. Just remember, you are going to crash A LOT, don't give up, just keep at it till it "clicks" and it will.

After getting this far you can move to hovering to get some practice with orientation of the airplane in a fully stalled condition. The big CAP actually hovers pretty easily but also loves to torque roll so I don't consider it the best first plane to hover in the sim. There is a large Ultimate that is available for dowload that is not very realistic in level flight but is a great hover trainer. Just remember when the plane is in a hover and turns it's belly towards you, you will have to push the rudder stick towards the low wing to shove the fuselage back into the vertical.

I can't stress this enough, practice hovering DOWN LOW and right in front of you. Attempting to practice hovering up high actually makes the task more difficult. Yes you are going to crash a lot but like I said above just keep at it, this is where you are really going to appreciate having G2.

Once you start getting it down on the PC, if your like many of us, you'll think your ready to try it with the real thing. Just keep in mind that while G2 is great for getting you mind and thumbs working in the right directions, real airplanes will still throw curves at you. I felt like I was starting a whole new learning experience but had a LOT more confidence after getting used to flying on G2.

Patience
Practice
Persistence