Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

H9 33% Cap TOUCHY Elevator

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

H9 33% Cap TOUCHY Elevator

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 33% Cap TOUCHY Elevator

Hi guys.

My 33% cap has an extremely touchy elevator. CG is per specs (foreward edge).
Does the other Caps out there exhibit this tendency? Its extremely sensitive on landings.

Oh, I am running Expo (-99) and my throw at this time is around 1 inch.

Thanks in advance

Stan
Whymee
Old 05-22-2002, 11:52 PM
Mike Brown99

Hi Stan,

I wouldn't say that mine is "extremely touchy " can be a little on the touchy side of things if you aren't used to it. With 99% expo on low rates you may be hitting the end of expo and the elevator move alot with little stick movement. I think i only have about 45 or 55% expo on low rate, maybe less I can't remember.

once you get used to it, it will be a fun plane.

later
Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 02:08 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that on Futaba's you have to have negative expo and others you need positive to get the desired results.

Don't know what kind radio you have, but could this be the problem? ie- you really need pos expo.

Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 03:39 PM
bdrannik

If you are using a JR radio a negative expo number will make control response more sensitive around center. I would start out with 25% on elevator/rudder as a starting point, and then on subsequent flights adjust for desired control feel. Always use a positive expo, at least with a JR transmitter..

Brent
Old 05-23-2002, 11:18 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On hitec you have to have negative for a soft center. I only run about 20% on a stik.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:04 AM
downhumpty
My Feedback: (1)

Default Expo:

Seems to me Futaba 9 CAP defaults at - 50% on high rates and 0% on low rates. Check out manf. web sites, they normally post manuals online.
I try not to program in expo. I find it makes my fingers lazy.
Just a Thought.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:35 AM
Whymee

Thanks for all the replies.

I use a Futaba 8US. I tried -75 last evening. It gets touchier around center. Went back to -100. Going to recheck my CG this weekend.

If I follow basic CG logic, I might even try adding weight to the nose, even if CG is on the money.

Stan
Whymee
Old 05-24-2002, 05:05 PM
Mikerjf-RCU

Try this post, explains a lot regarding elevator sensitivity.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...035&forumid=31

Mikee
Old 05-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Whymee

Mikerjf,

Your post alerting me to the above thread, well, thanks alot!!

Honestly, that was the thread I needed to read. I have also posted there.

I thank you, my plane thanks you & my cat on my lap thanks you!! LOL

Blue Skies

Stan
Whymee
Old 05-28-2002, 03:13 PM
Mikerjf-RCU

Stan;

You're welcome. I think everyone of these type planes should have a copy of it in the box. Let us know how it works out.

Mike
Old 05-29-2002, 12:12 AM
Whymee

well I did some adjusting this weekend. Kept the CG where it is at. Forward as per the manual.

I reduced my elevator throw from 1" to .75". Kept expo at -100.

With this setup the elevator is still touchy, but not like it was.

From what I have been reading this plane (33% H9 cap) has a touchy elevator. Its the nature of the beast.

I have to step up to the plate & learn to live with it!

I hope the 33% Sukhoi isn't this touchy!!!

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Stan
Whymee
Old 05-29-2002, 02:26 AM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

Default CAP 232

I don't have the 33% H9 CAP---but I do fly the Lanier 28% CAP. I think you'll find that all CAP's tend to be extremely sensitive around CG. I think this is a result of very large tail surfaces and relatively short tail moments. Anyway, the Lanier CAP is extremely "touchy" when CG is set according to "plan"---which is on the wing tube. Most people I know (non 3D) flying the Lanier CAP have moved the CG forward of the "plan" spec---by as much as 1" (depending on pilot preference). Mine is 3/4" forward of "plan" CG and my elevator expo is a -35% (Futuba). My plane is smooth as glass and very easy to fly. Your -99% expo just doesn't sound right---I would imagine you'd want expo in a range of -20 to -40%. A -99% expo leads me to believe you're unduly tail heavy. If your expo is moderate---say a -40% and your CAP appears to "porpoise" while in level flight, that's a sure sign you're tail heavy---move the CG forward until the "porpoising" disappears. As a temporary experiment, take a good size wrench, wrap it in foam and secure it inside your engine box---and test fly the plane. I'll bet it's much smoother and you won't need so much negative expo. If I'm right, you can re-arrange your batteries or servo's for a "permanent" fix. If I'm wrong, you can simply remove the wrench with little effort and return to the CG you've got now. Of course, if you're a 3D pilot, ignore everything I've said here. You'll want the CG aft and the plane very "touchy"---that's just part of the 3D tradeoff. Good luck,......WarpedWing.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I finished a little .61FX powered GP CAP 232 over the winter. I've only flown it a dozen times or so but here are MY observations. The plane takes off straight, climbs out nice and flies around the patch just fine. I can even fly it quite slow. But as you approach the stall, WHOA! Anything can happen. I am trying to figure out now if it CAN be flown in tight and do litlle funfly manuevers and stuff. If I can keep it balanced it will hover all day. I have had it unintentionally spin with no warning. It spun out of a stall turn last night and I had to catch it. It spun out of a flat slow turn also. I know I am experiementing seeing what I can get away with.

It weighs 6.25 lbs, CG is 1/2" aft of plan and it flies very neutral. I've shimmed in a little down and right thrust and it flies hands off inverted.

With this one I am in search of small plane nirvana . I am hoping to find a fun-to-fly .40 size plane that I can haul around whole and fly conveniently. It needs to be able to fly with some precision and it should be 3D-ish . This plane could do all that maybe.

-Cheech
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12642_4831.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	8035