Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Global Freestyle 3D first flight successful!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Global Freestyle 3D first flight successful!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 01:38 AM
3D-kid330
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Freestyle 3D first flight successful!

I have a Global Freestyle in the box and I was wondering what equipment to put in it. There is an OS 61 Fx with a Pitts muffler somewhere in my dad's garage I might be able to use. Is the 61 too much? If it is which engine should I use? What oz/in rating servos should I put in it? Also if there are any mods to be made for crazy 3D flying, please let me know. If there is anything else I need to know, please tell me.

Thanks!

3D-kid330
Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Global Freestyle 3D!

The .61 is fine, I used the same engine with an APC 14x4 and it works great.

The minimum I'd use is standard servos on ailerons and elevator, heavy duty (70oz or more) on that big rudder and a mini on the throttle. Assuming you are on 6V.

If you have the money Tower sells the Futaba 9001's for $30 each, they are coreless and 70oz on 6V, great all around servo.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The review should answer your questions...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=86
Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Nik
My Feedback: (12)

I put a Thunder Tiger .61 in mine, didn't fly it yet,
only modification needed is: You have to use a disc cutting tool and cut alittle of the eninge mount off, also strengthen the landing gear, by putting a 2-56 rod inbetween...

-Nik
Old 01-29-2004, 07:17 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Ooops I should have told you that review was up Brandon. Let me know how it goes my friend. Your a good pilot too so we will all want to see the turn out on this one

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 AM
Abraxxas

A flying buddy and I both have these at our field, mine has an old OS .91 Surpass four stroke in it with a 14x5 Zinger and 15% nitro and it is absolutely beautiful... hovers at 1/2 throttle with full tank and climbs out real nice. Buddies has a remotely tired .61FX and it wont hold hover wide open, sloooooooowly tailslides down. Just my personal experience. 91 Looks nice in here too [8D]

Good Luck,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12839.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	95559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67319.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	95560  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:34 PM
3D-kid330

So the 61 is too small? Its fairly new. If it's too small, there is a Saito 100 fs that I could borrow from my Shoestring for now, is that too much? Some people say its heavy. Geoharry-RCU said the 61 is fine. Is your friend's plane heavy? Like you said, the gear seem super soft and bendable.

Thanks for the info, guys!

3D-kid330
Old 01-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Funtanas56

put some plywood behind the fire wall and you can get the saito 100 on their with out risking pulling out the fire wall.[8D]

Happy Landings
Old 01-30-2004, 11:30 PM
wildnloose

Not sure why a 61 won't hover a 6lb plane. The first review I ever read about this plane said they had similar performance from the ys 63 and a os 50.

My plane is set up similar to the review here on rcu. I have an inverted ys 63(30% heli fuel, 13x4W apc), can take off <10ft(without flaps) and hover at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Unlimited vertical(not a rocket but it will scoot). Mini throttle servo (hs81), standard 425 on ailerons and 605 on elevator and rudder. No problems yet.

I put my tank on cg(had to do a little butchering of canopy area). Moved rudder servo back to about 12" from tail (still pull-pull).

Do yourself a favor and get the Sukhoi 40 landing gear from hobbypeople ($10 - part # 42019 Hurry, they go fast, I just went to hobbypeoples site and the search turned up no results, but was able to find the gear by looking up the global freestyle plane, its at the bottom where it tells you "Customers who purchased this item also purchased one or more of the following."). The gear will allow you to put 13-14" props on with no hassles (plus it taller, stronger and just looks good).

Its my favorite plane to fly, just love the slow flight characteristics.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:59 PM
George E.

The .61 should be fine with a 14x4 APC. I do have a Macs muffler on mine but that's only to shed 4 oz. Some people aren't willing to experiment and if the first prop they try doesn't hover the plane, then the engine's too small.

I have the .61 on a Funtana right now that's around 5.5lbs, very similar in size and weight to the Freestyle. Full throttle will yank the plane up if it's falling out of a hover. Unlimited vertical doing consecutive snaps on the way up. All I can say is it works for me.

I wouldn't buy the .61 for the plane but if you already have the engine it will work.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
3D-kid330

Default RE: Global Freestyle 3D!-elev. pushrod problem

Thanks guys! I have encountered a problem with the elevator pushrod that has me puzzled about what to do to fix it. The elevator will go to full diflection, but with little pressure on the elevators the Y pushrod's metal ends flex and the hardwood pushrod knocks around back and forth around inside the fuse. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Global Freestyle 3D
Hitec 5625-rudder
Hitec 635ht- elevator
Hitec 475x2-ailerons
Hitec Hs81-throttle
Engine- OS 61fx
Estimated weight when finisnhed:5-5.5Lb
And of course, the best radio in the world for guidence, JR!

Thanks!

3D-kid330
Old 03-01-2004, 12:10 PM
wildnloose

I replaced the standard y-pushrod with a cf one (I think it was a Dave Brown pushrod) and 4-40 rods. It worked fine. Now I have modified my plane and used a mk bell crank and cf pushrods on the elevator (along with cf pushrods on all surfaces, except rudder). I have not tried this setup yet.

Some have tied the elevators together and put the servo in the back. The only reason I did not do this is that I want to keep the separate elevator adjustments.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:55 AM
3D-kid330

Thanks guys! A friend of mine brought up an idea to glue Gold N' Rod pushrod snake outers on each side to guide the pushrod through the side of the fuse. Works perfectly!

Hopefully, the maiden will be tommorow! Any tips on flying will also be appreciated!

P.s: Did you use the stock hardware? ( clevises, control horns etc.) I am using all stock for now and if needed I will upgrade the hardware.

I'll let you know how it goes!

3D-kid330
Old 03-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Balsa Masher

The wooden dowel elevator pushrod in my Freestyle was broken when I opened the box so I replaced with a carbon fiber shaft and 4-40 rods. It has worked pretty well after 100 flights. Mine is powered with a Magnum 52 XLS with a 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop and I hover at about 3/4 throttle. The 52 pulls the Freestyle out of a hover fine but not as quickly as I would like. I found that the Freestyle does some maneuvers better with spoilerons activated. Blenders are a lot more violent and tight with spoilerons and harriers are much more stable.

Good luck with your Freestyle, I think you will like it a lot.

Ken Pavlou

P.S. Make sure you replace the stock landing gear! It is way too soft and flexible.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM
3D-kid330

This past weekend the Freestyle didn't fly due to a severly dead battery.[:'(] The engine ran for a little while before the batt. went dead. Amazing power even at half throttle! The engine is OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD because just now I realized that the muffler has no baffles at all!Sounds like an engine without a muffler. A .61 with "prop bark" is funny just to think about.

It just sounds intimidating.[8D]

My hopes are set for next weekend for the next attempt. (I'll remember to charge both my radio and my rx batt this time.[>:]

It was pretty hard to squease all the radio stuff in that narrow fuse, but now that all is said and done it balances perfectly. It was necessary to raise the rudder servo to get the pull-pull cables to clear the other servos.

P.S: I'll try to post some pics of the Freestyle, and I will fix the problems before next weekend. I'll bet I would annoy the club if i leave the engine like that.

3D-kid330
Old 03-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Nik
My Feedback: (12)

So you used a TT .61 like I told you to?

-Nik
Old 03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
3D-kid330

Actually, I used an OS 61fx that had been laying around doing nothing. I have the TT 46 which is the best running engine I have EVER had. TT's are great. Never had one quit unless it ran out of fuel. I figured I would use the OS because I needed money for the servos. If I ever need to change I can.

Well I fired up the OS again today and it sounded like a dragster or a formula one car! Idles like a Moki, so it will sit still on the ground. Prop bark still there, It sounds cool. Mabey because I am running a small break in prop; I will switch to a 3D prop later. It seemed reliable, requiring no adjustments at all, but we'll find that out later. Only thing is, since the tank centerline is above the carb, the engine siphons fuel out like crazy.[>:]

I think I'll like this plane a lot. I'll keep all you guys posted on how this goes.

Hopefully, it flys next weekend!

Thanks for your input![8D]

3D-kid330
Old 03-10-2004, 03:10 AM
George E.

Don't forget to try the apc 14x4
Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 PM
3D-kid330

The Freestyle flew successfully last weekend! First flight was uneventful, takeoff was straight down the runway. It flew great! With the 61 on it it sounds cool and is a rocket from a hover! More than enough POWER on 10% nitro with a 12x6 break-in prop. I will switch to a 3D 13x4 and a 14x4 later. Going with the stock landing gear for now. Tommorow I will fly it again. What a fun airplane! No flying pics yet, but I will get some hopefully soon. I still have to figure out how to post pics. If i figure it out, I will post pics here. Thanks for all your help![8D]

3D-kid330[8D]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Tbanister
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

When setting up the ailerons are you putting a straight edge on the top to the wing and making them flush to that or are you eye balling it to be centered with the wing cord?

the reason I ask is because when I use the straight edge on the top to the wing the bottom is way out from center?
Old 03-21-2004, 02:12 PM
George E.

I put a straight edge on the wing tip, using it as a chord line. Line up each aileron then look from the back of the plane to make sure the ailerons are are even, they should be pretty close but might require one or two turns of the clevis to bring them perfectly even with each other.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:13 AM
3D-kid330

Default RE: Global Freestyle 3D first flight successful!

I eyeballed them from the tips and from the back of the plane. It seemed like it took very little trim input to get it flying straight. Yesterday I was doing some crazy rolling harriers with it. It just sounds soooo cool! The C/G needs to go back some as it was very unstable in a harrier and a hover.

Lets see if I can post some pics of the building process.
[img]P1010398.JPG[/img]

If that came out, I'll be amazed. [X(] I have no Idea how to post pics.

Hopefully, some more where that came from!

I will try to get flying pics next weekend!

P.S: Mabey this can be a forum to discuss and post pics of your Freestyles!

3D-kid330
Old 03-23-2004, 01:27 AM
3D-kid330

Darn, It didnt come out[]! How do I post pics?
Thanks

3D-kid330
Old 03-29-2004, 05:44 PM
dudley43

I have about a dozen flights on mine as of yesterday (beautiful day!). I used standard BB Hitec servo all around and a new Thunder Tigre .61 GP. Not quite broken in as yet but will easily hover at 3/4 throttle! Flies very solid and slows to a craw. Stalls are gentle and simply drops the nose and recovers immediately. Using flaperons will allow it to land at about 10 mph! Bought it on sale from Hobby People for $99. What a buy! For the money, I can't say enough good about it.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:56 AM
3D-kid330

Good to see that you guys like your Freestyles! I have a few questions about mine. Here they are.

When I pull up a little it starts to snap all over the place. Is that normal, or did I do something wrong balencing it? Lateral balence off maybe?

The harriers and tork rolls that it does are very unstable and very hard to hold. Any way to fix that?

If I pull a wall, it will snap. So I pulled less and it was still trying to snap. By the time I got it into a hover without snapping, I was at least 100ft. off the ground. Could be a problem with its balence, but I don't know.

Anyway, enough of the problems. The knife edge is amazing! I could just roll it on its side and throw in the rudder and take my hand off the ailerons and the elevator and it would hold it perfectly! I have never had a plane that does it sooo cleanly. No coupling what so ever! The roll rate on high rates is insane! It's like a Funtana If you know what I mean.

That gear is sooo soft that it bends in weird shapes on takeoff.[X(] When I am done with my flight, I have to shut the engine off to land in order to save my expensive 13x4w 3D APC prop. A 14x4 will not allow me to set it on the ground when running. I will probably get the Sukhoi gear for it.

And speaking of weird shapes, It bends into an "S" kind of shape which scrapes the tips all over the runway while making a weird sound![X(] If it even bounces an inch, the gear does an immediate split and stays that way until you bend it back.[>:] If you leave it parked for a long period of time, the Freestyle's weight makes the wheels slip and the gear flattens out until you bend it back. (and it's a light plane too)

Other than that I love it, Its a great plane!

Thanks in advance!

3D-kid330

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.