Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

magic funfly

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

magic funfly

Old 06-10-2002, 02:12 AM
funfly2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magic funfly

Flew my modeltech magic today. I got it yesterday and had it going by today. AWESOME!!!!!!! TT 46 in it runs great, almost touched the tale on the ground. Hovers a below half throttle and flys right out of a hover. Man this thing in my opinion flew better than my TOP CAP. Going flying wednesday. See how it goes...!!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 03:14 AM
Skoalz

Default magic funfly

That's great to hear! I got my Magic in the mail on Thursday. I'll have it ready for the coming weekend. Did you do anything special in the setup? Where did you balance it?

I'm really looking forward to flying this baby!
Scott
Old 06-10-2002, 02:29 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

Mine should be ready to fly by this weekend. Just a few more things to do and we're ready to go.

Install the motor, balance and control throws. Then airborn. should be awsome.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:28 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Default magic funfly

funfly2005,

now that I am really enjoying my topcap, you go and say something, that always happens,

I like the magic better than my topcap. Now I will probably have to buy the magic. LOL
Old 06-10-2002, 04:57 PM
funfly2005

Default magic funfly

I said in my own opinion I like the magic better. I kinda balanced my magic and it is way nose heavy but it still hovers thats weird. I did it by the book on the building part. Way easier to build than a TOP CAP... lol. I wanted to put the rudder servo in the back of the plane but i wanted to get it flying so i didn't. If someone has done that post some pics and how you did it???.. Thanks Jim
Old 06-10-2002, 05:23 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

I have not read a thread yet on moving the rudder servo back to the tail. Shouldn't be too hard to do. The most difficult part will probably be running the wires through the fusalage.

My friend and I built ours basically identical to each other.

OS 46FX swinging a 12.25 x 3.75 prop

Flying wires on the tail

Receiver mounted next to the throttle servo (cut out a slot in the servo tray, Rx mounted vertically)

Battery pack mounted on triangle stock above the elevator servo (all the way at the back of the compartment)

By adjusting the motor location on the supplied mount my friend's balanced dead on.

His flies great. I will be able to answer the flying question on mine soon.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:34 PM
funfly2005

Default magic funfly

Do you have pictures of how you did the Battery and the reciever...??? Thanks
Old 06-11-2002, 06:39 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

funfly2005,

I'll have to get back to you on that. I need to borrow a digital camera. I will post picture here as soon as possible.

An update on the way mine balanced, I had plenty of room to move the big OS 46FX to achieve the correct balance point.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Default magic funfly

Jim,

I don't think you gave the TC a fair chance!Now that I have it
I'll show you how it is supposed to fly and what it can really do!!LOL.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Default magic funfly

Hmm..maybe I'll have to get one..

Anyone converted this to a bolt on wing??
Old 06-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Mike Rojas

Default magic funfly

I converted mine to a bolt on wing,simple,takes about 30 min.Let me know if you want pics or more info
Mike

i
Old 06-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Default magic funfly

I would like those pics...my friend is going to be converting his to bolt on when he gets his. If I get one I'll do the same.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:30 PM
funfly2005

Default magic funfly

Mike, Now that i have a magic i can show you how too fly one. I won't bust the landing gear everytime i fly it.JJ...The top cap is just as good just that transportation thing and stuff.

Im going to convert mine tonight from the rubberbands to the bolt on.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Mike Rojas

Default magic funfly

It's kinda hard to bust the gear when you're hovering at 75ft off the deck,so you should'nt have a problem!!!When you are ready to get LOW I'll give you some tips!!C-Ya
Mike
Old 06-12-2002, 02:02 AM
jnjacksn

Default Magic Setup

You can find the pics of the setup stuff LATCH66 spoke of here:

http://www.cableone.net/gjackson/p3.htm

This is my second magic, I am seriously considering buying another and having it ready to go when this one hits the big round ball. With the stuff I have been trying with this plane it will eventually hit the big round ball. For that matter I am almost positive all of my planes will eventually hit the big round ball...

The flying wires really help with those inverted landings. Don't laugh, if you have seen the landing gear that comes with this plane you would probably agree it would be better to land it inverted too!

Great plane. Probably needs a better pilot, but I get my moneys worth!
Old 06-12-2002, 02:53 AM
Skoalz

Default magic funfly

ROTFLOL!

The weak vertical fin is easily a match for the crap they are calling landing gear!!!!

I still have not had the time to put mine together. I'd better add the tail wires. Maybe add wing bolts as well.
Scott
Old 06-12-2002, 03:11 AM
1whopper

Default Magic Gear

Evening kids -

Regarding the flimsy Magic gear, I found this place with a carbon replacement gear....

http://moosecarbonfiber.tripod.com/

I ordered up, $23.00 to my door within a week. Good service from the vendor.

Haven't flown mine with it on yet but it looks real cool ! ( add a set of Tru-Turn aluminium wheels for the full effect ! )
Old 06-12-2002, 04:02 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Default Flying behaviour

I have seen the posts on how well this plane hovers, and I assume it will do a great harrier as well. But how about flat spins and waterfalls. Also, how about Knife Edge flight. Any pitch or roll coupling with applied rudder?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:58 AM
jnjacksn

Default magic funfly

Plane Flat spins great, someone with a little more skill could probably climb in a flat spin wit a 46 fx. Waterfalls are great! I have not been able to make this plane snap with any amount of up elevator. Dive it directly at the ground full speed, pull out 5 feet before you see balsa scatter! AWSOME...

Nife edge... Kinda like the landing gear. It just aint got it!
Old 06-12-2002, 12:14 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

jnjackson took care of the picture post for me.

Mine is set up the exact same way. Easy to find the sweet spot on the balance. No added weight to the tail other than the flying wires.

Mine will be ready to fly this weekend. Just a few minor things to do.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Skoalz

Default magic funfly

Would one or two of you mind adding a picture of the flying wires on the tail. I've never used them before. I'd like to see a good pic.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-12-2002, 01:09 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

Skoalz,

Check out the web link on jnjackson's post (post number 15). It shows you the flying wires and the battery/receiver location.

You won't be sorry your bought this plane. Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Default magic funfly

I wish I could get mine together! I got it last week and started to glue the wing panels together. I had them laying on my board and noticed they rocked. I checked some more and found the left panel had about 1/2" washout and the right panel had just as much washin. I called hobby people and they said they'd replace but I had to send in the root section of each panel. I didn't want to wait for shipping both ways so I had them send me a wing kit and charge me for it them when I returned the root sections they'd give me credit. They also shipped for free which was decent but slow as it was ground UPS. (5 days) I got the wing kit today. One look at the box told me I had trouble again. It was completely crushed on one end. I took a few photos for proof of shipping damage. I opened the box and of course both panels damaged as well as both ailerons. I checked hobby peoples web site and they are out of complete kits as well as wing kits so now I'll be waiting who knows how long. I was counting on getting this together tonight so I could get some time on it before our club funfly this weekend.
I haven't decided if I'm going to send it all back and get something else or not. I was trying to decide on getting an Ultra stick a dazzler or this magic. I'd be flying right now if I had chose one of the others!
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 06-12-2002, 08:43 PM
latch66

Default magic funfly

My wings weren't the most square things I have seen either. But, I got out all of the warps on mine with a heat gun and a lot of patience. The covering is super low temp so be very careful. It will not take you long to burn a hole in the covering. I sealed the hinges with supercote. I found superkote is a good match for the yellow and the red (haven't had to use any of the blue yet). And, with it being low temp it works great for patches.

Mine is now ready. The weekend is coming and I have to work. There is just no justice in this world.

Maybe Sunday I can finally fly. Weather permitting.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:51 PM
jabowil-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Default botl on wing-pictures

I would appreciate seeing the pictures.

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.