Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Flat spins Anyone??? >

Flat spins Anyone???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Flat spins Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spins Anyone???

i've always had trouble with this one. I have a Pizzaz 40 with a Saito 80 and it's a blast to fly. it would be even more fun with flat spins, which proves a problem for me. i know i'm at my limit of throw for the plane, yet it doesn't quite stay flat when attemptin the spin.

Any suggesstions[sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-04-2004, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Flat spins Anyone???

CG as rearward as you can go. Lots of power. I have a plane that will only do it inverted. When inverted, the rudder and aileron go the same way (what I mean here is both sticks in the upper right corner - full power, right rudder, right aileron, and full down).
Old 03-13-2004, 10:32 PM

Rearward CG should help.

As for the stick movements, I'm not sure I would explain it that way - for inverted flat spins, the aileron and rudder should start off reversed. Then as you add power, the aileron is moved toward neutral, and in some cases (some planes) you must go past neutral and end up with ailerons and rudder in the same direction to flatten it out. But if you don't cross the rudder and aileron first, I think in most cases you'll more probably end up in a knife edge spin.

I think most planes flat spin left better than right. Here are my stick movements for inverted left flat spin. I guess its more of a blender really:

Enter vertical dive at low speed and throttle. Add full left aileron to start rolling. Do 2 rolls, add full down elev at the same time you add full right rudder. It will be in a weird spin. After a bit of that, simultaneuously and slowly add power and shift the aileron towards neutral (while holding full down elev). Again, the final location of your aileron input (and throttle) depends on the plane. Some require full opposite aileron to really flatten out. I find my aileron ends up about 75% past neutral for my UCD.

There is a good description of how to do an UPRIGHT flat spin on p. 38 of the March 2004 issue of Fly RC magazine. The only difference for upright flat spins is up elev instead of down.

Hope this helps.
K
Old 03-14-2004, 01:32 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Ditch the pizzazz and get something cool
Old 03-14-2004, 02:23 AM

ncflyer2004, when you say you are at your limit of throw for the plane, do you mean YOUR limit or the PLANES limit? If its your limit then maybe you need to just fly it some more to get used to it, use dual rates or add some expo, maybe all three till you feel comfortable with the plane.

If you mean the planes limit, have you tried longer servo arms to get some more throw?

Good flat or climbing spins with the pizazz takes lots of rudder and elevator. Like many planes it has more that enuff aileron that if you go all the way over it will cause it to snap out of a flat spin.

Ed M.