Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Saito 180 pipes >

Saito 180 pipes

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Saito 180 pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 180 pipes

I didn't know where to post this so applogies if its in the wrong place.

I have a Saito 180 in my Capiche 140 and due to the cowl being so big I have opted to use the Saito flexi exhaust pipe instead of the standard silencer. The standard silencer will look horrible sticking out the side of the cowl.

It runs fine with this flexi pipe but is very noisy. I would like some sort of a pipe to quieten it down a bit and hopefully give me more power However I don't want to spend a fortune just to make it a bit quieter, although price against power is never a consideration

As a last resort I could always join my standard silencer to the flexi pipe to reduce the noise but its a bit of a clumsy solution.

There is no pipe tunnel on the Capiche although I would be happy for it to run underneath the fuse if its not too long and ugly.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what pipe to use and where to get one in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Old 04-20-2004, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Saito 180 pipes

ORIGINAL: ColinM

I
As a last resort I could always join my standard silencer to the flexi pipe to reduce the noise but its a bit of a clumsy solution.

There is no pipe tunnel on the Capiche although I would be happy for it to run underneath the fuse if its not too long and ugly.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Your standard muffler should simply screw on to the flexipipe. I use this setup on my H-9 73" Cap, not sure how it would work on your particular aircraft.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 AM

Colin, where did you get the flexi pipe from? I would like one for my Saito 100, no idea where to get one from though.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 AM

Sprink, its Simon.

I got mine from Inwoods but it was the only one he had.

To be honest with you I wouldn't bother buying one, they seem to be very loud.

I have only had one flight with mine and i'm taking it straight off. The system I am going to replace it with is as follows:
I have bought from Inwoods a new exhaust bend (the bit that joins the engine to the silencer) and a length of stainless steel flexi pipe. I will cut the bend in half and solder a length of flexi pipe to it and then solder the other half of the bend to the other end which will then allow me to screw my existing silencer straight on it.

I'll post a pic tomorrow to show you the finished result, it might explain things better.

Simon
Old 04-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Sorry Simon, you really need your own log on [X(]

Just a thought on the flexi pipe. Noise is a big issue at my field, so cant go that route
Old 05-07-2004, 02:38 PM

I have the same problem on my Dave Patrick Extra (see my post) I got my flex extension from Just Engines for £75 and it broke, guys dont do it. I have gone extension route with a copper tube extension but have to 'fix' the exhaust end as with the length and vibration it works loose at cylinder head. Looking to use an engine vibration mount (like for car exhaust) for this. Another way out I have found is Slimline do a Pitts type exhaust which may work and at the Dollar/Pound rate is better than an extension from Just Engines (about $89). Macs from the States do a good flex exhaust system and I believe Mick Reeves does the same, also someone from Germany and am still trying to get their web address.
How is the 140 for building I've got the 50 and it was a mare flies well though, plans not as good as could be considering publicity.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:54 PM

Flying Eng,

We tried the Saito flexible exhaust pipe with a collar brazed on to the end so that we could screw on the normal silencer and though it was well supported, the flexible pipe snapped off at the engine end, so that was consigned to the bin. Cut the cowl out a bit more and reverted back to the standard set up and that worked fine, seemed a better throttle response too. I think the added length of the exhaust caused throttling problems, but not too sure.

Dave Stevens (The Boy) set it up for Simon at a fly-in a couple of weeks ago and flew it round superbly, but then when my son was flying it we had a bit of a disaster. The throttle servo arm came off the servo, I hadn't loctited the screw on. Needless to say the resulting pancake landing caused a bit of damage, but not too severe. Should be flying in the next couple of weeks, I've been a bit busy lately so not had much chance to work on it. There's a fuller report on the build and flights here

http://www.*************.co.uk/4um/i...;threadid=7284
Old 05-07-2004, 10:12 PM

Yes same problem as I had with the flex pipe breaking. Also the Macs set up as well broke. Am looking at the Slimline Pitts set up if that doesnt work will revert to big hole in the cowl and original set up (silencer screwed to engine) or throw the Saito away and put a Moki in.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:36 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of people using the pitts style with the Saito 180 and it worked great. If I need nose weight in my CAP232 120, I'll put in the pitts to add good weight instead of lead.