Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Twist and Somethin Extra-homebuilt hybrid >

Twist and Somethin Extra-homebuilt hybrid

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Twist and Somethin Extra-homebuilt hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 03:20 PM
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist and Somethin Extra-homebuilt hybrid

Hey. Don't you guys think that the Twist and Somethin extra look real similar? I am scratch building a new set of wings which will look like the Twist wings. They will be straight and not tapered. That is from the fuse to wing tips. I just ordered a somethin extra fuse kit today. My wings will pop on that. But i'm thinking of throwing out the tail section and building my own design there too. Bigger rudder and elevator? What do u folks think.. I'll be fitting this with a .46 os la. I know kinda cheap, but that's all I have laying around. If anything it will be a good fun fly plane.. here is a pick of one of the wings. See what yall think.................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49425.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	128797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49223.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	128798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78032.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	128799  
Old 05-03-2004, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Twist and Somethin Extra-homebuilt hybrid

Anyone have any good or bad comments?
Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 AM

I can't believe no one has anything to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:40 AM

I'll say something just so you don't go crazy!

I always like my SE but it just didn't have the 3D ability that I was looking for.. Now if you put an OMP 540 Edge PFF tail on it I would think that may be sweet. Massive throws and lots of surface area to the control surfaces. I just got a Twist but haven't got it out of the box yet. I can tell you from experience that it is a major disappointment and a big waste of money when you become the experimenter and it doesn't end up doing what you want. Good luck at what your doing and I wish you the best and keep us posted on how it works out.
Cheers
Don
Old 05-04-2004, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having designed several planes, I will make a few comments. Good flying planes are either hit on by accident or they are developed. This means building and trying and changing and trying until you get it right. The problem with designing a 3D fun fly plane is it needs to be light. Any time you change anythng, you add weight so you end up trying a few things, then building a new plane. This is a lot of work.

On your wing, next time, draw a straight line from the spar to the trailing edge. Check out the profile fun fly planes. Nearly all of them have this airfoil. Older planes had airfoils with the normal, bulging rear section.

Keep your plane light. For a .46 LA, shoot for under 4 pounds. Let's see, ways to save weight.
-Use a NiMH 720 battery pack, it's light.
-Use Hitech 225MG servos. They are 1 oz each compared to 1.8-2.0 oz for standards.
-Don't use long metal pushrods-too heavy.
-Use a wire landing gear. Lighter than aluminum. Or spend the money for CF.
-Use the light, foamy wheels.
-Don't ever add weight. Move the battery or servos first.

Many fun fly planes tend to pitch down with rudder so I would mount the stab half way down the rear of the fuselage, not on top like the UCD 60-90.

On the tail, make the control surfaces around 75% of the total area. For sure don't go under 50%. You can also save weight by using pull-pull on everything like the Morris kits.

When you are done and test flown, send me some photos and I'll use them in my R/C Report column.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Ok. thanks for all the comments. I'll keep all of that in mind. I completely understand if my model doesn't work. If it does it does, and if it don't then it don't. I'm very bored and was layed off from work a few weeks ago. Too much time on my hands.. hahah
Old 05-04-2004, 04:51 PM

Please add lateral area !! this is the main drawback of this planes thus they don´t knife edge neither harrier rolls well. I mean make the fuse much more taller (to the belly), this is the cause because profiles flies a lot better
Believe me, it works
Old 05-04-2004, 05:40 PM

I had the sig SE for a couple of years and I really liked it! What I didn`t like was the small controll-surfaces, slim fuz (as mentioned) and it is too heavy with the 2-piece wing. All in all I`d say it`s a sports type plane more than a funfly.
Thats my opinion anyways!

LP