Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Funtana Engine Advice? >

Funtana Engine Advice?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana Engine Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana Engine Advice?

So I’ve ordered my Funtana and eagerly await its arrival[8D]. I just decided that I can also afford a new engine however I cannot decide between the following three engines.

O.S. FS-70 Ultimate 4-Stroke w/Pump
YS 63-S
Saito FA-72 Golden Knight

I guess this is almost impossible to make recommendations but some pros and cons would really help me (I am pretty much sold on a 4-stroke but my mind is changeable).

Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 AM

Default RE: Funtana Engine Advice?

I fly mine in pretoria on a Irvine 61 2C and it works well. Bigger engine would be nice but you're at sea level so don't worry too much. I'm always worried about wing loading and well the 72 has been proven to work very well. Just remember one thing, support for the ys in SA is still a bit of a problem. OS has great support with JK being so close to you but OS is heavy. Why not go for a Saito 82 or 91? The 91 is lighter than the os 72.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM

put a saito 91 with 14/4W prop.

make a search on RCU, there are thousands of threads about it, everything has been discussed.

end of story
Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dany boy

put a saito 91 with 14/4W prop.

make a search on RCU, there are thousands of threads about it, everything has been discussed.

end of story
Watch the throttle. That's not really enough prop but it would be fine with a careful pilot. Very quick spool up.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying the Funtana 40 since the first ones came out and here are some of the things I have learned.

1. Two strokes work, but the torque curve and throttle response of a 4-stroke is usually prefferable for 3-D.
2. If you are choosing a 4 Stroke, the .70-.72 size as recommended by Hanger 9 is a good starting point.
3. Weight is EVERYTHING with this plane. OS .91's are too heavy for the plane and you will lose some of it's potential.
4. To much power WILL overstress the airframe.
5. For all out performance the Saito .91 is everything you need and doesn't kill the plane, but you need to give it attention before/after everyflight. (you should be doing this anyway).
6. The Saito 100 is unbelievable but maintenance on the plane goes way, way up. I think it is to much but thats just me.
7. The advertising for the new Saito .82 kinda leads one to believe it MAY have been designed for just this type of application.
8. Weight is EVERYTHING with this plane. Did I say that already?
9. Prop choice is almost as important as engine selection. A good 4 pitch such as apc 14-4 is an excellent choice.

With all of that said, I am rebuilding my Funtana for this flying season and bought one of the new Saito .82's to try in it. I used a .72 in the plane all last year and had a buddy of mine who flies his with a .91. Both fly very well but his had an easier time of hovering/ prop hanging, mine flew lighter. I think the .82 will be a perfect mix for the plane.

I also have the new 90 size Funtana on order and that one is getting a Saito 1.20 or a YS 1.10 . Gotta see the plane before I decide for sure.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:08 AM

or maybe a Hacker C50 10L with 5S3P lipo setup for ultimate performance. of course it comes with a much higher initial cost however.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Banned

I have the Funtana with the Saito 91, perfect combination. Go for it with a 15x4W prop. You will not be dissapointed. I hover at half throttle and had to add 3 oz. at the nose for balancing.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: ..., everything has been discussed.

end of story
No need for arrogance Dany Boy, I only joined RCUniverse recently and did not go through the complete forum. Anyways no one is forcing you to read or reply on this post. Rather post the link to the already discussed post, now that will be useful.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (19)

We have been flying the Funtana with the new Jett .76L (46 size engine). Turns the 14x4W a bit over 11K rpm, with awesome throttle and midrange. Almost too much power for the plane. But the size and weight are perfect.

The Funtana 90 will have a jett BSE-120 in it as soon as I have one in hand.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:52 PM
My Feedback: (6)

YS 63 hands down! best choice!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:58 PM

DA150
Old 05-21-2004, 08:41 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The .72 in mine is great. BUT I have to run 30% fuel to swing the 14x4wAPC with authority. The YS63 is a great engine also. However I think the hot ticket will be the new Saito .82. It is the same size & weight as the .72 with more power.

david
Old 05-21-2004, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Spacey

I fly mine in pretoria on a Irvine 61 2C and it works well. Bigger engine would be nice but you're at sea level so don't worry too much. I'm always worried about wing loading and well the 72 has been proven to work very well. Just remember one thing, support for the ys in SA is still a bit of a problem. OS has great support with JK being so close to you but OS is heavy. Why not go for a Saito 82 or 91? The 91 is lighter than the os 72.
Support for YS is right in this forum. It worked for me.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 AM

WeedFix,

You might want to steer clear using excessively powerful heavy weight engines and other heavy equipment on your Funtana or you may be back here like many others whining about lousy flight characteristics. Blasting out of a hover is not the only thing that a 3d model needs to do well. I'd go for the Saito 82.
Take a look at this video and see what this kid can do with a little YS63 on his Funtana.
http://www.rcsites.net/kyle300s/kyle%20hey%20ya.wmv
Old 05-22-2004, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

WeedFix,

You might want to steer clear using excessively powerful heavy weight engines and other heavy equipment on your Funtana or you may be back here like many others whining about lousy flight characteristics. Blasting out of a hover is not the only thing that a 3d model needs to do well. I'd go for the Saito 82.
Take a look at this video and see what this kid can do with a little YS63 on his Funtana.
http://www.rcsites.net/kyle300s/kyle%20hey%20ya.wmv
I've seen this video many times. He is a DARN good pilot. Goes to show that it is not only the setup but the guy at the sticks making that Funtana look so good. I bought the YS63 for mine after seeing this video.

BTW, my fav part of that video are the rolling harriers a foot off the snow. Also the waterfalls on the deck are most impressive.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,

I ordered the Funtana with the Saito 82. It will be here Monday, that is if UPS doesn't damage it. I'm benching the engine and will run a gallon of 30% CP though it to dial it in and then mount it. Can't wait to see what the .82 will do with this model. I bought an APC 14X4W today for it.

I'm going to drill the landing gear to lighten it up and use a mini-servo for the throttle. I'm replacing the stock wheels with light wheels.

I've heard the stock spinner is heavy, so I'll proably replace that as well.

Is there anything else that cane be done to lighten up this model.

I'd like the final weight to be no more than 5 1/2 lbs.

BTW, I was at my LHS today and the guy who works there showed me the wing joiner for the .40 Funtana. It failed in flight. He recommended increasing the length of the joiner to reduce the possiblity of this type of failure happening again. Has anyone else heard of the wing joiner failing?

Regards,
Chuck
Old 05-22-2004, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (24)

the funtana i know don't have a wing joiner
Old 05-22-2004, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Scooterpilot

BTW, I was at my LHS today and the guy who works there showed me the wing joiner for the .40 Funtana. It failed in flight. He recommended increasing the length of the joiner to reduce the possiblity of this type of failure happening again. Has anyone else heard of the wing joiner failing?

Regards,
Chuck
The elevator joiner? Mine hasn't failed and I've put it through hell. Full throttle into a "Wall" time after time and it holds up just fine. I can't believe the entire plane holds up to the abuse I put it through. Making it light is not easy. If you build it without any lightweight gear, it will be probably 6 lbs. My last two were but they fly fine. Put in the HT Electron 6 rx, use light throttle servo, use CF main gear. All that will only save you 3 ounces. The stock wheels are only .6 ounces so what wheel is going to be lighter than that?

I just bought a used one today. It's my experimental one. I took off the wheel pants, cowl, and canopy. I'm using the Irvine 53 so I won't have a heavy spinner. I'll just use the Harry Higley prop spinner nut (.8 ounces). Also I'm using a very small battery and will recharge often. All of that will save me almost a half pound. It may not look pretty but I'm trying to see if I make it as light as possible, how it will fly. I am not using a mini servo on the throttle and not using an electron 6. That would save me another couple of ounces. If I went to CF gear that would save an ounce. So maybe the lowest I'll get it is 5 lbs, 5 ounces stripped. That's assuming that the frame was as heavy as the last two I bought.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Prophanger1,

Whelp, that tell how much I know about airplanes. Makes me think I should stick with what I fly the best, heli's

Regards

Chuck
Old 05-24-2004, 01:46 AM

JoeAirPort
I doubt this forum is going to get him spare parts. I gotta be honest as well though, I've seen what the YS can do with a 40 sized profile and the engine sure is impressive.

WeedFix as soon as you find someone in SA that does import spares please let me know? I'd also love to get a one. I doubt I'd put in the Funtana though. Like a lot of the others stated. My dream engine for the bird would be a Saito 91. And the stuff arrived in full force at my LHS about a week ago so now I can actually get my hands on one as soon as my ship comes in. Best of all is their cheaper than OS. Woohoo!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Support for YS is right in this forum. It worked for me.
Just ordered my YS63S so you better help me in my time of need. BTW which engine mount would you recommend.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:49 AM

JoeAirPort
I doubt this forum is going to get him spare parts. I gotta be honest as well though, I've seen what the YS can do with a 40 sized profile and the engine sure is impressive.

WeedFix as soon as you find someone in SA that does import spares please let me know? I'd also love to get a one. I doubt I'd put in the Funtana though. Like a lot of the others stated. My dream engine for the bird would be a Saito 91. And the stuff arrived in full force at my LHS about a week ago so now I can actually get my hands on one as soon as my ship comes in. Best of all is their cheaper than OS. Woohoo!!!

I hope no one minds me posting this e-mail I sent to Performance Specialties:

Mail

… There are no YS distributors in South Africa as far as i know.

1. Where will be a good place to buy these engines, can I order it from you?
2. If I manage to get hold of them, how will my warranty be affected?

Hi,
It is no problem to sell the engine directly to you. We will honor the warranty from this end.

Good flying.,

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might have to wait a week or two for spare parts, but that is why i keep more than one plane ready to fly.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:49 AM

Are you importing the engine WeedFix?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: WeedFix

Just ordered my YS63S so you better help me in my time of need. BTW which engine mount would you recommend.
Always willing to help [8D]

If it's for the Funtana, the stock engine mount is fine.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Hey Weedfix,

According to your acronym, I would say that You should stop smoking that grass, it is getting you a bit "oversensitive..."

There is nothing arrogant in what I wrote, the engine duscussion for this plane has been disscussed rewally really much and is really well documented on RCu that's all I meant !

Use Goole and make a few search that all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.