Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best 40 size 3-D plane???

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best 40 size 3-D plane???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 40 size 3-D plane???

I am looking to replace my current 40 size plane, its Ok but I want better performance, the one I have now is a 300 Magic Extra (not bad not very good flat spins though), I have had a Freestyle (pretty good plane but it just kind of fell apart), and a Magic (flew great couldn't hold a knife edge, but did one of the best flat spins I ever saw, hated the ground manners though).. So anyway I am now in the market for a good quality 40 size plane. I will be using a YS 63 and digital JR standard servos, thanks in advance for you recommendations....
Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best 40 size 3-D plane???

For .40 size planes I don't think anything performs 3D as well as profiles. If you think they're ugly, just wait until you fly one. You'll quickly forget about the looks.

I'm having lots of fun with my Extreme Flight RC Edge. Its one of the best "bangers" (great for bangin' the sticks around) I've ever had. That YS will do an excellent job of yanking it out of a hover, it does FLAT flat spins upright or inverted, and you want knife edge? It doesn't get any better than this!

www.extremeflightrc.com

If you don't like that, look at the Ohio Model Planes (Kits and ARFs) or Morris Hobbies planes. They all perform GREAT with that YS of yours.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:10 AM
lomcevek1

What he said. Profiles are all that I fly now because you cannot beat the performance, the price, and how fast they go together.

That might ruffle some feathers but that is my opinion.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:28 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Try a Hangar 9 Twist 3D. Got mine flying a couple weeks ago - WOW! It's not a profile, but flies (almost) as good as one. Mines powered by an OS AX46, has more than enough power for hovering, vertical climbout. Takes a little effort, but will flat spin with the best of them. Cost is about $90 (at lhs), and only takes a couple hours to get flight ready(assuming you leave the covering alone - unlike me )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81064.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	152470  
Old 07-11-2004, 06:46 AM
Acrobat

The worst thing about profiles is they can't have a descent moment length. They wind up being wobly, and without a descent moment length torque rolls (not hovers) become wobly as well. Best 3d planes are pattern models with 3d controls alowing you to complete smooth 3d flying i.e. rolling circles 2 - 4 rolls per circle, (not sticks in the corners crap). They are the jack of all trades. As far as 40 size the best plane i have ever flown is my Freestyle Rush with a ys 63. This is a small pattern plane with 3d controls. Top little machine and cheap. Last weekend flew it in a mountanious place with nowhere to take off or land. Had to do a let go to take off then hover back down and catch it to land. Awsome stuff when you dont need a runway.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:42 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

It sounds like you're already an accomplished 3D pilot. If you were just starting, I'd say go with a TufFlight 4D. I think your 63 would go really nice on a Sledge, or perhaps one of the lighter ARFs if you keep it at or under 4.5 lbs.

Regarding profiles being great for 3D, I think they do have much better rudder authority, and are THE BEST "40 size" 3D planes around. Non profile planes tend to have very little side area, and don't set up well for high alpha KE moves.

From what I've seen, attempts to make pattern planes (non profile, or box fuse) that do good 3D end up being heavy, and 40 size engines won't power them anymore for good 3D performance. So there really isn't any such thing as a good pattern 3D performer with a 40 size engine. Prime example " Funtana 40 size. Can you really 3D one with a 2 stroke 46? No. Even a 60 or 70 size four stroke isn't enough, so guys end up going with something bigger, and they get a 5.5 lb "40 size 3D plane".

If I've missed a glaring example, please let me know, but also, please list the weight and loading specs.

I'll take a 4.5 lb 750 sq inch wing profile over a 5.5 lb 600 sq in pattern "3D" plane any day.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Country Flier

Go with a profile for 40 size 3D. The Morris Hobbies Sledge, Paul Swanson Burrito, Extreme Flight 540, Ohio Model Planes Yak 54. All are great flying planes. The Burrito will flat spin and not even lose and altitude. Upright or inverted!! The YS .63 will really make them sing also.
Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:32 PM
1fish
My Feedback: (3)

I went ahead and ordered the edge540 profile from extreme flight, I was kind of already leaning twards a profile anyway, I am glad to hear so many other pilots like them too, I dont care for the way they look to much, but the ones I have seen look like alot fun, so now I really dont care what they look like. Thanks for all the responses
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Spacey

After the first flight you will think it is the most beautiful plane you've ever seen.