Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Global Freestyle CG

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Global Freestyle CG

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:52 PM
PeteMaurek
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Freestyle CG

Global Freestyle is done except for battery placement. Instructs call for CG 3-3/4 to 4-1/4. Curious what CG you other Global Freestyle'rs are using. Have an Irvine .53 in mine standard muffler. Read some threads about using the UT muffler on the Irvine and 14,000 plus with APC 12.25x3.75......OH YEAH! I'd like to try the UT muffler on my Irvine .53/Freestyle but me thinks it will be a tad bit to long to do the tuck-under..........

Comments?
Old 08-17-2002, 01:43 PM
jumpjet

Default CofG ?!?!?!?!?!?

Hi there,

Pehaps you should put the CG where YOU like to fly it. I have built models of various shapes and sizes over the years and each and ever time people have asked me where is the CG on that ? My answer is always the same. 'It's located somewhere on the wing!" after all I just like the model and am comfortable with it.

Personaly I start where the instructions say . . . . (A good place to do so as this is what it has been desgned for) , after that I PLAY with it, to achive what I like as my own presonal preference. I think that finding out what others do is like asking Tiger Woods (golf) Micheal Shumacher (F1) Jason Shulman (3D) how they like thier gear set up for their sport. It suits them but probably wouldn't suit you.

CG, Expo, Throws, Right Thrust, Mixing and all other things like this are both Model and Flyer dependant. Too many varibles and that is what makes us modellers and this sport so diverse.

Regards,
Old 08-17-2002, 05:36 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 08-17-2002, 10:27 PM
PeteMaurek

Default Freestyle

Mine came out at 5lbs 5ozs using standard servos and 450mah 6 volt pack(need a few more mah but it'll do for now). At that weight I realize the Irvine .53 will be taxed. Hindsight 20 20 I knew I should have gone with the mini sevos to save a few ozs and gone with the YS63.....ah well. My CG is right at the rearward recommended in instructions (4-1/4 from the leading edge root)with the batt/recvr at the back of the tank. I will shove the Battery under the tank for the first flight(s) and go with instructional recommended CG "naturally".
Being a new plane I just thought I'd get input from other Global Freestyler owners to get the variables and any other diversity. As ALWAYS I build/fly/adjust things to suit "my" taste but if its good enough fo you then its probably good enough for me......I'm easy!
MPJ220 what prop are you using? I'm planning on starting with a APC 12x4 and from there I'll play with props until I'm comfortable with it.

Open-minded somewhere in Texas
Old 08-17-2002, 10:43 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

Mine had a YS 63 and it just did have enough to accelarate out of a hover. The CG that I found to best suited to my style of flying was at the 4 3/4" mark. Bought the plane to break in the engine and have since sold the plane. It withstood a lot of abuse. I did add tri stock to the landing gear plate, and sheet of 1/16" ply in between the gear and the mounting plate to give it more thickness so that the blind nuts wouldn't come in contact with the gear. Be careful if you use the spinner it comes with, mine explode on initial moter run up. Still a sweet flying plane for the money.

Jon
Old 08-17-2002, 11:04 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 08-18-2002, 12:26 AM
PeteMaurek

Default hineysight 2020........

......I knew I should have gone with Saito 100 Looks like I'm off the the UT place to order a UT muff.........

Thanks for help fellas!!
Old 08-18-2002, 04:41 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 08-19-2002, 12:43 AM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

I just finished mine last week and have 2 flights on it now. I plan to get a few in tomorrow after work if it aint too hot(again). I put a Super Tigre .61 on mine and the vertical in nothing short of awesome! Multiple vertical rolls and it doesn't even slow down! My engine was sagging badly in the midrange so I wasn't able to hover,but once it quit slobbering,it shot straight up like a rocket.Finished weight was 6lbs.4oz. I put my receiver and battery right behind the tank and it balances on the spar. It does "elevators" like a rock with spoileron mixed in and very easily knife edge loops. Can't wait to get back to the field.
Rusty
Old 08-24-2002, 04:43 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default FreeStyle servos?

My Freestyle arrived today. YS63 is all ready for it. Probably will run a 13x7 prop.

Any servo suggestions? Was gonna use some standard size hi-torque Expert SL571 62 oz servos for the rudder/elevator and standard HS425BB's for the ailerons. Are the high torque servos for the tail just overkill? Could I use HS425's all around?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2002, 10:07 AM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

I am using standard Futaba S3003 servos all around.No sign of flutter and plenty enough rudder power for a knife edge loop!
Old 08-24-2002, 04:19 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Default FreeStyle

Thanks, Rusty! Sounds like I can save the hi-torque servos for my US60. Was a bit worried because that rudder is huge, as well as the elevators.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:07 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Freestyl

Glad you guys like your FS's. I have one ordered from HP but made the mistake of getting the Magnum 61fs. Guess this motor is not going to cut if for hovering ssooo I have Saito 91 I'm going to try up front...by the way it sounds it needs some nose weight anyway so why not power it up a little. how does it waterfall., Lomcevek, flatspin etc? Thanks

Ron