Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Harrier Rolls

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Harrier Rolls

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 06:20 AM
TimDavie
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harrier Rolls

When doing the harrier rolls, I noticed my 40% Edges want to rotate quickly through the inverted portion of the roll. Seems if I get on the right top rudder early it seems to slow the roll down a bit. I'm looking for a good 3 sec. roll on the deck. I've done it easier with a 43% Extra 330. Anyone else notice this tendancy to roll quickly through inverted w/ the Edge?

http://members.home.net/tadavie/rc.htm
Old 12-20-2001, 04:34 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Harrier Rolls

Hi Tim!

Had not noticed that as an Edge only attribute... seemed all my planes do/did that. Of course, my biggest Edge was from H9... I plan on putting together an AW ARF/DA-100 next month, though.

As a side point... I don't think I could have a high enough roll rate doing harrier rolls. It just allows you to roll fast at a slower air speed... which is really kool. :-)

Nice videos of you on your site!
Old 12-29-2001, 10:49 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Harrier mpeg

Tim, Is it my puter? Can't get the harrier mpeg to load Dag! My first venture into gas and larger planes was a kit version of the Aeroworks 540T. I got it late October but haven't had a chance to fly it yet. It was a gas n go deal. Can't wait though. Weighs 24 pounds with a 3W 80. Happy Holildays_Bob
Old 12-30-2001, 12:38 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harrier Rolls

When inverted the rudder is more effective at high angles of attack....Perhaps your heavy handed on the rudder.....This can happen as you are rolling from inverted the direction of Ail and Rudd is the same and the plane will respond....

See the fin and rudder hanging down in the clean air will inverted at High angles of attack it is very effective there....if upright the Stab can block the fin and rudder so you need a little more stick upright to get the same effectiveness.

Play with it you'll get it figured out....Also some blips of throttle on Knife edges will help you maintain altitude so your not hanging so heavy on the rudder.

Good Luck and let me know how it works for ya

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 01-01-2002, 06:51 AM
TimDavie
My Feedback: (15)

Default Inverted Harrier

Thanks Troy, good explanation

Usually when it is rolling quickly through inverted, I have full down, full Left Rudder, and full R. Aileron. I have found that full Right rudder at inverted (while rolling)has been slowing it down some, but will just ease up a bit on the rudder when inverted.

Tim
Old 01-02-2002, 04:53 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default your causing it to Snap

Outside Snap roll is Down elevator and opposite aileron and rudder......I bet your getting a little snap type action when rolling from inverted you should be giving top rudder...when rolling right from inverted is right rudder. If it slow it down you a little heavy on it perhaps and stalling things out...try a little blip of power and less rudder.

But I think it might be snapping that 1/2 roll from inverted with the imputs you describe....

give her a shot. Thats the great thing about this sport its all about learning new stuff.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 01-03-2002, 07:03 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Default Harrier Rolls

Happy New Year all, just saw this post and found it interesting as our son Chris (13) was just having a blast with our H9 1/3 CAP 232 on Mew Years Day (COOOOLD & WIndy) and he desided to try some harrier flip flops and it looked great and so sweet, most of the folks out were amazed how it would just hang there and flip from upright to inverted so slow and easy ! Chris said all he was doing was slow 1/2 snaps and stopping 1/2 way thru. it really looked nice and he was smiling big time as always. Just another awesome tribute to amazing H9 CAP 232 with the wonderful ZDZ -80 , what a blast !! Keep em flying JB and all. Have a Great New Year with much good flying !! Rod & Chris in PA.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:38 AM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Default rod and chris

Hi Rod and chris,
What field do you fly at up at allentown? I fly at Buc le in quakertown- you guys ever get down that way?
-jon
Old 01-04-2002, 06:56 AM
ramrod

Default Hello Jon at Buc-Lee

Hi Jon , yes we come down to your meets for the big birds and the Warbirds over PA. Always have a good time there. Chris has flown his big yellow and black checkerboard Tri-plane there several times !
We are members of the LVRCS club in Easton near T&L Hobbies. If you ever want to come up and fly with us , just let us know !
Take care and Happy New Year !! Rod & Chris
Old 01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Harrier Rolls

Hi Rod and Chris!

Nice to see you here. :-)
Old 01-04-2002, 05:13 PM
ramrod

Default Hello JB

Hello JB , good to see you as a moderator !

Happy New Year !! Rod & Chris

PS , hope to get our new/used AW Edge soon with a strong 3W 78 in it !

Have FUN , keep em torqueing good !!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Default rod and chris

Hi Rod and Chris,
We'll have to get together and fly sometime soon.- Either at your place or mine- I think i might of met you guys at buc le last summer- Does Chris have a funfly type plane? I had the red and white 80" cap at the last buc le giant scale flyin. Hope all is well,
Jon
Old 01-08-2002, 07:51 AM
ramrod

Default Buc -Lee

Hello again Jon, yep - know i know who you are!
You were set up beside Rick Meyer and his big CAP.
You are the stunt and Airline pilot and I was impressed
with your cap and its good 3D ability !
Have you flown a H9 1/3 CAPPY yet ? If not you will have to
try ours and see what ya think ? Hope we can meet up soon !
Do you ever meet up with Mat Chapman and fly full scale or models ?
Take care and Happy New Year !! Rod & Chris
Old 01-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Johnny_Rebel
Banned

Default Harrier Rolls

Hi Rod and Chris,
I haven't flown one of those caps yet though I've heard great things about them! I'd love to fly yours. It should be a great spring/summer- alot of people at Buc-Le have bought giant scale aerobatic planes. Once it warms up a bit we'll definately get together.- I bet Chris is beating up the tail on that cap with hovers and t-rolls :-) Also if we get a nice enough day soon it would be great to fly- I'll keep an eye on the wx. As for Matt I haven't seen/talked to him. I just see him in passing once in a great while- (he's big time ya know) :-)
I'll talk to you guys soon,
Jon