Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Obsession 3D

rtmmh,

The wing mounts to the fuselage on a standard aluminum tube-- but the bolts that secure the tube to the wing go in through the top panels of the wing (rather than inside the fuselage, the way that is seen more typically these days). The stabilizer mounts exactly the same way. I guess it's nice that you don't need to remove the canopy to unbolt the wings!

By the way, I am still hoping to get mine in the air soon-- O.S. 1.60FX with a Jett in-cowl muffler looks like the perfect setup! I will only have a small bit of the upper part of the cylinder protruding from the cowl (easier to attach the glow-clip anyway!). Should have plenty of power for me here at sea-level. The 1.60 is one sweet glow engine!

Still amazes me that this airframe is not more popular at the price you can get one for. I have to hold myself back from bying another!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 PM
rtmmh

RobertC,

Thank you for the advise on the wing installation. just 1 more question, is there a section of the wing cut out or a mark as to where to put the srews? do the screws come with the kit? do you glue the tube to 1 side of the wing? do you have a pic ture so i can visualize it? if not, thank you anyway. on the tube, is there a mark to drill the holes?

I like OS 2 strokes and am considering the 1.60, but, i am also looking towards a Saito 150 4 stroke. the manual shows an OS 1.20 4 stroke doesn't it?

Have a Great day.
Gino
p.s. can't you glue the Stab to the fuse instead of drilling a hole?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Macommy

ORIGINAL: rtmmh

RobertC,

Thank you for the advise on the wing installation. just 1 more question, is there a section of the wing cut out or a mark as to where to put the srews? do the screws come with the kit? do you glue the tube to 1 side of the wing? do you have a pic ture so i can visualize it? if not, thank you anyway. on the tube, is there a mark to drill the holes?

I like OS 2 strokes and am considering the 1.60, but, i am also looking towards a Saito 150 4 stroke. the manual shows an OS 1.20 4 stroke doesn't it?

Have a Great day.
Gino
p.s. can't you glue the Stab to the fuse instead of drilling a hole?
I have the saito 1.50 on this plane. It has that quick torquey response which is nice. It's also nice to own because it is so finely engineered and it looks nice.

On the other hand, you will have to buy lots of fuel and it's only a 1:1 power to weight ratio. I would want more and I would go with the os. I've never had a 1.60fx though so keep this in mind. I know what I read about it.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Yes, the wing is already marked (drilled) for the screw (and yes, all hardware is included with the kit). Both wing-panels use the same method, but I guess that you could glue the tube to one half and only use a bolt for the other (although I have not done it and cannot recommend it). Biggest job you have to do is drilling and tapping the aluminum wing-tube for the bolt.

As for the stab, sure you can glue it in. Probably better anyway since you don't have the chance of a screw coming out. You should be warned, however, that this plane has a LONG fuselage and you will need a large vehicle to transport it. Removable stabs help a bit here.

I cannot comment on the big Saito's as I have never had one. I really like the O.S. for it's fuel-efficiency, low weight, super-easy starting (properly setup it just requires a quick reverse-flip and it starts... always!), and good power. Honestly, I don't think you would be disappointed with either the O.S. or the Saito!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
kochj

Being the saito 150 is working well and the 26gt evolution (mvvs 160) are about the same power, anyone thought of using this gas engine in this plane?
Any input would be helpful\?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Macommy

I have the saito 1.50 and in my opinion the plane is absolutely underpowered. The evo would probably be the same at about 1:1. Maybe well broken in and with a tuned pipe it would have more than the 1.50. If 1:1 or a bit better would be ok with you then the change in fuel costs and lack of needed support equipment could be really nice. I would probably prefer it to the 1.50 for these reasons, but something with more power would be nice. I guess it depends on how you want to fly it.