Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

More light 3D planes please....

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

More light 3D planes please....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:31 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More light 3D planes please....

If you do any amount of reading on here, you come to the conclusion that if you want a scale 3D plane (not a profile although I love profiles), the only planes to buy are the Extreme Flight Yaks (68 and 87"). I'm glad EF has raised the bar but I'll be darned if I can get my hands on one of these planes. Great for Chris, bad for us.

Come on guys (H9, Aeroworks, Wild Hare)!! Do you really like reading posts that call you second best? I know these are all nice planes but for example, 50CC 3d planes, is there anything close to the EF 87 Yak? More wing area and less weight than all the other competitors. At first I thought it was just the typical hype, but the numbers speak for themselves. I know H9 has the 33% Edge looking pretty good on weight with a ZDZ 80, but what about the new Extra 260? Pretty airplane but needs to be quite a bit larger and the same or less weight....for great 3D anyway.

I'm sure the manufacturers all understand the demand here, but the bar has been raised and you guys are still flying under it!!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: More light 3D planes please....

The wildhare 33% extra 260 at 21.5-22 lbs with a ZDZ 80 is pretty impressive. Also, the line of TOC planes are similar to the EF planes and they have more to choose from as far as color schemes as well as several different types of planes. BME is coming out with a YAK that promises to have a light wing loading. So if you look hard enough, you can find good planes out there. You also can't judge a plane soley on weight. Overall design and flying characteristics are just as important. For example, Carden and AW planes are some of the best flying planes on the market, yet most Cardens are noted to be a tad on the heavy side.

Greg
Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I have read about "The hangar 9 260 is too small, too high wing loading." Fact, you can build the plane at 13.5 pounds with a light 50cc engine (DA ZDZ BME). Fact at 13.5 pounds the wingloading on the 260 is a touch over 27 oz. Fact at 15.5 pounds, which is what most of the EF Yaks are coming out at, the wingloading is a touch over 24.5. That is 2.5 oz/sq.ft. difference. That is not much at all. And with a Carbon wing and stab tube, and other weight saving tecniques, this plane could be brought down to close to 13 even. Which would bring the loading down to 26 oz or so. Plus from what I have read, the 260 may infact be better in moderate wind due to the slightly higher wingloading and less draggy design. Oh plus it is 200 bucks cheaper than the EF Yak.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aero-works will have a new 540 out 86in. wing 1450 squares and will way 15#s. Ive flown the prototypes and man they are awsome. I thought it flew better than the 68'' yak from extreme flight. Carbon gear and all good hardeware they should cost $450.00 and you wont have to wait like extreme flights stuff. also before all the wild hair guys get on here and say those planes are better think about this 50 bucks more 2#s litter good haredware 15#s with all the same stuff it dosent make sense to go wild hair any more.

Mark
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 PM
aviti

Mark, that's what I'm talking about! Something in the 50cc class to compete with EF's 87 Yak. I'm just getting ready to maiden my Aeroworks 33% Edge ARF but I'd love my next plane to be a 50cc. Any idea when this new Aeroworks 86" Edge might be out? How did the prototypes 3D? Solid harriers?

Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Mark Dennis

How do they 3d I can anser that in one word PERFECT wi'll i'm flying i'm asking Rocco if he has anything programed in and he said no. No mixxes what so ever. Harriers high alpha knife edge water falls torque roll blenders you name it it would do it. But it wont compete with extreme flight its going to blow them out of the water. Roccos saying late summer or really early fall.

Mark
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM
aviti

Sounds like a winner to me....can't wait to see it be released. This is what I was talking about....sure an Edge with 84 wing span, 50cc and 17 lbs will fly good, but if you can go 2 lbs lighter, bigger wing and same price....now you got something. I'd like 10 or 15 planes like this to choose from....are you listening manufacturers?????
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Mark Dennis

Well I can give you two more to choose from how about a 260 and a yak. All in 50cc 75cc and 100cc sizes coming soon.

Mark
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

If anyone is interested in something scale like on the smaller side--the Fliton Extra sure looks good. 82- 90 sized 2 or 4 stroke motor

Old 06-15-2005, 04:09 PM
aviti

Yeh, I was just checking out the video on Fliton's site for the Extra. It really looks nice especially in a harrier where a lot of the smaller planes just don't seem to do as well. Looks like a Saito 100 would be great in that plane....
Old 06-15-2005, 06:37 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: aviti
Yeh, I was just checking out the video on Fliton's site for the Extra. It really looks nice especially in a harrier where a lot of the smaller planes just don't seem to do as well. Looks like a Saito 100 would be great in that plane....
Thanks for the tip. I had not seen the video. They are really starting to get their web sight together. Looks as great as people are talking about for this sized plane. What are they using for a power plant in that video--looks like a 13 x6apc?

http://www.fliton.com/new/doc/frame.asp
Old 06-15-2005, 07:50 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

The picture on their website of the Extra has an OS FS-70 Ultimate on it I am pretty sure. That is the only OS I know of with a blue valve cover. http://www.rcgroups.com has a review on this plane E-powered with video as well I know it gets an A+ in my book I love mine!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:16 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I have a fliton extra with a saito 1.00 on it. I just havent gotten around to putting it in the air yet. Im too busy flying my Yak.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
aviti

The Fliton video says it is Axi electric power actually. I would think that would be a bit heavier than a Saito 100 nitro. If it 3D's that well on electric it may even be a little better on nitro.