Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Recommendations 40-size 3D ARF

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Recommendations 40-size 3D ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:48 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations 40-size 3D ARF

I'm looking for a replacement for my Laser 3D, which met its demise in a mid-air several weeks ago. I'm interested in ARFs, as I want to get back in the air while the flying season is still young. I want to use my Saito 72, which survived the crash.

I'm thinking of the 40-size Sig Mayhem (due out in July?), but I would like to hear other suggestions and opinions. I'm not looking for another profile right now - I already have a Burrito.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations 40-size 3D ARF

For a scale plane that can 3D this is the bomb:

http://jaghobbies.com/rc_cars/edge_46.htm

I love this ARF. The only thing is that the Saito 72 is not a ton of power on a 40 sized ARF. You are going to come out at 6 lbs with this ARF and just about any ARF out there (one that looks cool anyway).
Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
jsenicka
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black Horse Diablo
http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/diablo3D.html

I have a Magnum 61 four stroke on mine.
Silly amount of power.
Weighs 3lb 9oz without fuel.
I am using HS225 for aileron, HS225MG for elevator/rudder and HS81 for throttle.
The only modification required is to run a pair of birch strigers from former at the wing to the firewall.
Thse can actually be run long enough to use as wooden mount beams.
The plane looks to be designed with wood beams that were later deleted to allow setup for electric.
I epoxied standard Sig motor mount beams from firewall to the next fuselage former to stiffen the nose,
then ran a Dave Brown glass mount for the Magnum.

Will climb out at anything over 1/3 throttle, and knife edge all day with 1.3 throttle
Old 06-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

For your Saito 72 there are quite a few options. You could go with a Funtana 40, a profile from Accelhobby, Ultra-rc's Yak-54 or Katana, those are just a few that came off the top of my head. If you search around you can find ALOT more!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:31 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

If you really wanna do 3D with that engine, the only good choice to get the power to weight ratio you want is a profile. The Accel Katana 40 was already mentioned but OMP has 40 size ARFs, Edge and Yak. The Edge is widely known as one of the best 40 size 3D planes out there...

And if you think you don't like the looks of profiles, don't worry, when you see your profile doing rolling harriers and rocketing out of a tail touch, you'll love the looks of it....
Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned two Funtana 40's and they will come in at 6 lbs with the Saito 72. It will NOT be enough power to 3D unless you like buying 30% heli. A guy at my club had one with a Saito 72 and was not happy. I had one with a YS 63 and it was just enough power to 3D using 30% heli.

For a Saito 72 you will need the plane to come in at 5 lbs no more or you will be dissappointed in the power to weight ratio. Now if you had a Saito 82 it would be a totally different story, Then you could go up to 6 pounds max.

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

For your Saito 72 there are quite a few options. You could go with a Funtana 40, a profile from Accelhobby, Ultra-rc's Yak-54 or Katana, those are just a few that came off the top of my head. If you search around you can find ALOT more!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
rcflyer96

ORIGINAL: aviti

If you really wanna do 3D with that engine, the only good choice to get the power to weight ratio you want is a profile.
I agree with aviti.... best choice is a profile.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Laser came out at 5.2 lbs and was ok with the Saito 72. The Mayhem is listed at 4.5 to 5 lbs on the Sig website. If that is accurate, it should be pretty good with the engine. I thought there might be others in that weight range.

I'm fllying a Burrito and have a Sledge on the buliding board right now. I'm not really looking for another profile just yet.

Thanks for all the great information!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Shogun

I have had 2 of the OMP Edge profiles and the plane is a ball with either a .46 or a .72, the one I fly the most has the .72 on the nose and on 15% fuel is simply balistic. AUW is roughly 4.5 lbs, fuel capacity is 6 oz. and even with that small tank it will fly for 15 minutes since I fly at such a low throttle setting. You can really fly cheap with one of these since they burn so little fuel in the first place.

These just recently became available as ARF's and for $150 you simply can't go wrong. All of the included hardware is name brand SAE stuff and that alone puts it head and shoulders above all of the other ARF's on the market IMO.

Stay away from the Funtana 40, I had one and while it's a nice flyer it's too heavy to 3D on a .72, the weight becomes a real hindrance on planes this small where light weight is everything.

Get the profile, you won't regret it.