Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Ultra-rc Yak-54 or Katana

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Ultra-rc Yak-54 or Katana

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-rc Yak-54 or Katana

Hey, well anyways I've been lookin at getting a new plane and I really would like a Yak. I looked at Extreme Flights 68" Yak but i'm 15, I don't have a job yet, and it would cost well over $1000 to get one off the ground. So I turned around and went lookin for a smaller Yak and I remembered the Ultra-rc yak. I check it out and it was were I had stuff like servos and receivers and batteries laying around for it that are supposed to go in my Modeltech Magic but I don't know I think I'm going to sell it. Anyone want it. Its like 45% is already done. But anyways how does the Yak or Katana fly 3D? My next plane will definetly be a 3D plane so it will be set to max throws and kind of overpowered. For the Yak I was thinking Saito 82 or YS63 and same for the Katana. But anyways how do they fly? Like KE and hovering and rolling harrier cirlces and every other manuever you can imagine. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:45 AM
flyjunkie

Default RE: Ultra-rc Yak-54 or Katana

Hey man sweet choice i have a Ultra RC Katana with a OS 70 surpass in it and it flys great!!!! I do fly a little 3D but have it set up for nice scale like aeros Theirs a review of it on the review page where it is doing some pretty nice 3D The only problem i have encountered are the fact that mine requires quite alot of of up trim to fly straight and level but i think this is to do with the OS being a fattie i would definetly recommend you use some cheap digital servos (i used JR DS811 in mine). The Saito .82 is a good choice and i have one in my funtana and it hovers so sweetly Knife edge with this baby is good too and i needed no mixing for it to perform well the only of trouble is that you hane to watch how you land it because being a thin wing it has to be flown all the way down and with power i fly off tarmac so space is not a problem. I really think you will not be disappointed with this plane if you choose to get it
Old 06-20-2005, 11:25 AM
diggs_74

I have the Yak with a 91 4s on it... It's no 3D plane IMHO.. I've heard that there was going to be a vid out with someone 3D'ing it but I have yet to see it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great flying plane and does most stuff quite well but it's pretty heavy and the wing loading is up there. Mine hovers with no problem and will do a better rolling circle than my thumbs are capable of but I just wouldn't consider it a true 3D plane. I will say that the blenders with this plane is about the most violent thing I've ever seen.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:49 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: diggs_74
I will say that the blenders with this plane is about the most violent thing I've ever seen.
Ditto ... full throttle downlines for hundred feet and slams into a nice flat spin. I tried to get a couple to film me doing it but they can keep up with it.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
diggs_74

I had to move the CG back to get it to them (blenders) consistantly but now it does them quite well every time. I don't even know where the CG is I just kept moving the battery back until it did it. Dion, you're the one who told me they did them so well and you were right, but it took a little CG work for me to get it....
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: diggs_74
Dion, you're the one who told me they did them so well and you were right, but it took a little CG work for me to get it....
Have you gone into them full throttle? Don't worry I've done it 500 times ... each time I cringe ... but it always holds up. There's no way those wings are going to rip off.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Super D

I have the accel hobby Katana 40 GS. I love it, currently my favorite plane for 3D stuff. Harriers are awesome with 50% flaperons. Hovers great and I only have a 46 AX with a 12x4 prop. Several others club members are getting them also. I couldnt find much positive feedback on the Yak by ultra-RC.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
STLPilot

Well I have both Katana profile and Katana from Ultra RC. They are like apples and oranges. The Yak was not desinged for low and slow 3D but it is capable in the right hands. The Ultra Yak is more for scale aerobatics and precision and crazy tumbles.