Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Spoilerons & Flaperons

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Spoilerons & Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
BrunoB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoilerons & Flaperons

How to setup spoilerons/flaperons for 3D. Should they deploy by a fix amount or should they vary based on the elevator ?

Bruno
Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Spoilerons & Flaperons

I think thats personal taste. I set mine a fixed amount on a switch so they are on or off. Dont like the dial much because i have to look down at it to make sure it is centered. Tried the side heli slide on the 9cap with the same results. The beep on centering helps but not loud enough to be sure and easily bumped. Would work better if it has a center stop so you know when you hit it.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly sailplanes and 3d glo. In the sailplane world flaperons refers to drooping both ailerons some to act as flaps, increasing wing camber for lift at slow speeds and increasing drag to burn off excess speed when landing. Spoilerons raise both ailerons to reduce camber and lift. I have a Royal Evo 9 transmitter that I have set a slider to raise or lower both ailerons together. I have read some fliers mix the ailerons to the elevator such that up elevator causes the ailerons to rise - and this is what they call spoilerons. When you refer to spoileron do you mean you flip a switch that activates elevator/aileron mixing, do your maneuver, then turn off the switch or do you move a slider or equivalent, do the move, then return the slider to neutral?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I use a 9C and I mix them to the elevator 100%. I use the trainer switch to turn the mix on and off. I only use spoilerons for certain
3D moves so I don't have a flaperon mix. I friend uses a 7C and has his on a switch. Not a mix but a switch to kick both AILEs up. It works but is not near as effective. He also uses the spring loaded trainer switch. If you are going to use this mix that is the safest place to have it IMHO.

David
Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am not a 3D pilot but I use 12% elevator to negative flap mix so the ailerons follow the elevator movement.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,
So I now understand what you mean by spoileron and that you engage the mix momentarily for "certain 3d moves". I have read spoilerons reduce wing rock in harriers. What else is it useful for?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:50 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Dave, using the trainer switch is a darned good idea. I was doing harrier landings, forgot about the mix and left it 'ON', then the next time I took the plane off it wouldn't come off the ground! The spoilerons were deflecting with up elevator and killing the lift. My plane was just hauling ass down the runway...good thing I had plenty of room...it was funny at the time but it could have been a disaster.

-Tom
Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Jack you are correct about the wing rock. For 3D it helps on Waterfalls,Walls,Tic-Toc,Knife edge spins and mostly Elevators. The Funtana I fly won't do an Elevator with out the mix. With the mix it will drop straight down slightly nose up inverted. It's a site to see for sure. The other manuvers I mentioned can be done with the mix off but are easier with it on.

TT2, I started with the mix on a regular switch also. It was always a handfull at the end of a Waterfall until I could switch it off. Someone here at RCU made the suggestion to me about the trainer switch. Being a thumb flyer it has worked perfectly.

David