Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Anyway to reduce the landing speed of Katana 50?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Anyway to reduce the landing speed of Katana 50?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:46 AM
richng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to reduce the landing speed of Katana 50?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I've recently finished building the Katana 50, and would like to have some advises on anyway to keep the landing speed as low as possible without stalling and to create a gentle landing. I've thought of using the flapon to bring both ailerons down by a certain percentage .. .

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-01-2005, 04:02 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyway to reduce the landing speed of Katana 50?

One of the most practical way is NOT to lower flaps. If you think the plane needs to land fast so as not to tip stall the flap will kill you. What you can do is to use SPOILERONS, raise it by 1/8" and this will assist in avoiding tip stall hence you can slow her down more. Try to reduce weight too. You can again use a prop with a larger diameter, this will give you more prop wash and the plane will slow down a bit more as the prop wash gives you some lift.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Luke 3D returns

Are you talking about the yellow and blue one?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:50 PM
flyjunkie

No Luke i don't think he is, if your talking about the YT international 50 size Katana I think you will find he is talking about the Flair 50 size Katana or as they call it on this site the Ultra RC Katana.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 PM
flyjunkie

In reply to richng i don't think there is many ways of slowing this plane down due the fact it has such a sharp and slim leading edge and wing. I land mine on tarmac at a RAF station so i have plenty of room but this baby stalls badly if there is not enough air flow over the wings as you try to land slowly i think one of the only answeras is to just find out the right technic of getting it down as i have been or land it as a three pointer..... Hope this helps
Old 07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
richng

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the CMPro Katana 50 with APC 11.5x4 prop, OS .46AX and JR2610. I've also been flying the WM CAP 232 46R Castrol, also with OS .46AX (my current favourite) for a short while, which is quite OK in landing generally as I guessed, this is due to its lighter weights. Here, I just hope that those with experience flying in the same Katana that I have just finished assembling, could provide a summary of overall setup including what to look out for besides those good suggestions mentioned above. I'm hoping to enjoy flying the Katana for a long time as I really like it very much.

Thanks
Richard
Old 07-02-2005, 04:36 PM
flyjunkie

Hi richng i am just replying to what you said about the setup and other things to look out for on the Katana as i expected we are talking about the same Katana (i looked up CMpro) this plane does not 3d well so don't try and push it to go to slow or you will have a problem and maybe even a bin-bag job Stick to the control throws if you want nice aeros and if i was you i would set-up dual rates if you can on your transmitter but once again don't make the movement to big or you could face my problem when they started canceling each other out! I really think you have made a good choice i love the way mine flys the covering is FANTASTIC along with the look the plane and its colour scheme ...... Happy flying

Just one last thing to add it helps if you make some kind of tool to help you undo the spring in the wings me and my dad use a piece of control linkage wire with a hook bent into the end and believe me it make life alot easier.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 AM
richng

Hi flyjunkie,
Many thanks for your suggestions again. Also thanks on my choice with the Katana. I really like the look of the Katana, and I certainly agree with you on the covering is fantastic plus the easy-to-see color scheme. Doing just nice aeros is OK though, but I would slowly but surely try to do some limited 3D with it higher up when I'm more comfortable flying it since I'm also just make-do with a OS .46AX. Meantime, I'll be on low rate.

By the way, since you mentioned about the tool to undo the spring in the wings. I was just wondering if it is common for people to just bring their katana 50 to the field with the wings already assembled onto the fuse (i.e. never take the wings out at all). And, is there any way to make it easier for the whole process to install the wings when flying an uninstall it after flying? Reason I asked is, as with my cap, it is easy... just remove the 2 screws under the wings and I'm done. Thanks.

Richard
Old 07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
flyjunkie

Hi richng, I am the the only one with the Katana in my club and me and my dad have to take the wings of for storing and transport so i don't know if other people just leave the wings on. The answer to your question on the wings is i really don't think there is a easier way of putting the wings on and taking them off if you can keep them on whilst storing and transporting the model then DO IT!!!!!!!!! . You would not believe how annoying[:@] the whole process is and the stuff i have to carry here is a list:
1. a philps screwdriver

2. a alan key

3. bag to keep the stuff in

4. screws

5.the tool to get the spring through and out of wing

Hope this helps
Old 07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
richng

Hi flyjunkie,
This Katana really requires more time to put the wings on and take it out. This is likely to generate more maintenance than the 1 piece main wing plane. I rather transport it with the wings already on so that I can focus more on flying. As a result, I've put on only the canopy without it lower tray so that I could do occasional check on the hardwares without removing the 4 screws - .. also save some weight as well.

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 AM
flyjunkie

This is a good idea and i don't think you will regret it anyways the lower canopy tray is not easy at all to stick to the actual canopy and it is not good quality at all. If you still have not read this post by the time you test fly your Katana let me know how it went!! .......Flyjunkie
Old 07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
richng

Hopefully, I could run-in/test fly it next week end at my club's field as the winter weather forecast here in my area is not too good these coming week end.

Just a couple more questions...
1. Where do you put your CG? Particularly, where do you place your battery and receiver?
2. On the servo's elevator, I noticed that when its arm is pushing for a up elevator, the servo tilt backward a couple of degrees, and this tilting to and back is ongoing as the elevator moves up and down. Did you CA a small block of wood besides the servo to reduce its movement as I've done so? I've done it for the rudder servo as well though I've observed that it's movement is quite minimal.
3. On your fuse tank, how do you hold it in place? And, did you put in any thing next to your fuse tank to minimise the vibration?

Thanks .. Richard
Old 07-09-2005, 05:03 AM
flyjunkie

Hi, Richng in answer to your questions:

1. We put are battery and reciver just behind the throttle servo, and this balances out nicely.

2. As for question two we have this same issue but the movement is so tiny we have not had any problems but i think your are wise in putting the block of wood behind the servo.

3. Are tank did come lose after a couple of flights so my dad packed it with lots of soft foam and this seem to both hold it in place and cause less vibration.

Hope this helps..... Flyjunkie