Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

intermittent interference

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

intermittent interference

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 05:18 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default intermittent interference

Gents

newbie lookin' for a little rudder steering. I just purchased a RTF H9 Extra 330s with a 3W78 twin. the performance has been a rejuvinating experience for R/C. I counted the days to this weekend so I could get some more time on the gas burner. I'm loving this portion of the hobby.

however, during certain aspects of maneuvering there is some sort of RF interference. antenna from TX was rotated near vertical to minimize cone of silence out top of antenna. the delays were long enough to notice a slight delay in servo response (failsafe set to hold and throttle to low).

range check engine off / engine running (both idle and full power) is roughly 300 feet

Everything is brand new and isolated from each other. I've got a Team JR member and another very experienced IMAC buddy scratching their heads regarding the source of interference also.

I"m going to double check the engine setup (looks good but I'll double check again for any metal to metal) ignition wiring etc to start but was hoping you guys might be able to zero in on the problem area.

the ignition power cord coming into the fuselage is a cermos connector if that helps any. 2000mah NimH battery pack to the ignition module (it's a DA ignition module on a 3w engine). Futaba HD switch to RX and Ignition, JR HD switches to Duralite servo packs.

antenna is in a nyrod running away from all servo leads and into the turtle deck.

any help is appreciated

thanks

buck

Old 07-04-2005, 07:30 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: intermittent interference

ORIGINAL:

antenna is in a nyrod running away from all servo leads and into the turtle deck.

any help is appreciated

thanks

buck

So you are saying the antennea wire is running through a nylon tube in the turtle deck area and aft. Does it come close to servos back there? The reason I'm asking is that I had some major interference problems with a new Twist that I had set up. The nylon tube runs from under the cockpit area to the tail area and in the process right past the two servos in the back. I couldn't get the planes surfaces to stop glitching untill I removed the antennea from the nylon tube and ran in on the outside of the bottom of the fuse..... problem solved.......[8D]
Old 07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
yeahbaby

thanks bro'

it runs along the fuse beneath the canopy and then into the turtle deck. It's not super close to any servos but basically parallels the extensions to the elevators and rudders.

didn't think about that one. I'll give it a try.

buck
Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 AM
yeahbaby

I pulled the cowl off again tonight to see if I missed anything and found something I thought was interesting.

the shielded cables from the spark plug covers run underneath the aluminum standoffs for the engine mounts. they don't touch the standoffs but there is enough slack in the cable going to the ignition box that they could feasibly run against them.

I slit some tygon tubing and placed it over the part of the cable that could touch the standoff, then wrapped it in electrical tape and bound it with zip ties.

is it possible that any rubbing from the ignition cables against the engine standoffs could cause RF while in flight?

thanks again

buck