Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Heli radio for a plane?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Heli radio for a plane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
jaardesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli radio for a plane?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone is using a helicopter radio for a plane. I have the 7CAP/7CHP and the manual sais the only differance is that one switch is on the other side and that there arent notches on the throttle stick. I was wondering if thes make a big differance or hardly any? The radio has programming for planes.

Thanks alot for the help.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM
mgruenba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heli radio for a plane?

Hi Jaardesign,

I fly planes but I decided to go with a computer Radio. I am running an Ultra-Stick .40, an Avistar, and a H9 Miss America Mustang off a JR XP 8103 helicopter radio. Even though it is a heli radio, I prefer it over an airplane radio. I hate the ratchet in the radios for airplanes. I am in the process of building a Raptor .30. If you had to ask me, I would say that heli radios are way better.

Regards,
MAMustang101
Old 07-05-2005, 08:09 PM
jaardesign

Cool thanks for the info MaMustang! the manual sais that the ratchet helps keep from making unwanted throttle changes when making adjustments to the rudder, when im on my sim flying planes i can see how the ratchet would help in that way. Or at least you would be able to feel if there was a change. But i guess its not a big deal? maybe would help a little when 3Ding a foamy. Anyway Ide rather not have the ratchet when flying heli's and I deffinetly am not going to buy another radio!

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I like the lack of notches in the throttle stick...feels better.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
miniCAP
My Feedback: (3)

I am using hte JR 8103 Heli and I like the switch layout better than the airplane version. I also don't care much for the ratchet on the throttle. Of course, it's very easy to make it a ratchet throttle if you ever wanted to and it would be cheaper than buying a new radio.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Same experience here, I prefer the non-ratchet feel and switch layout.
Current Radios: JR 6102 & PCM10, both heli version by choice.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
brokensolo

I have a Futaba 8UAP with the ratcheted throttle. I'm soon going to flie the teeth off of the plastic arc that makes the throttle ratchet. I have done it with all of my other Futaba radios because I also prefer the smooth throttle. I can see it helping with isolating rudder control, but flying 3D like I do I am always manipulating both, and hover power is ALWAYS right between notches [:@]
Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fly whatever has the better "feel". The airplane doesn't care. Through the 60's, 70's, and 80's, many transmitters didn't have a ratchet on the throttle, just friction. Kraft, Pro Line, PCS, EK, all didn't have ratchets on their most widely-sold models...the ones with the closed gimbals.

brokensolo: You don't have to file off the notches. Just take the ratchet spring and turn it over. You'll still need some friction for the throttle, and that helps keep it.