Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick Extra and Edge- O.S. 1.60 FX

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Dave Patrick Extra and Edge- O.S. 1.60 FX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 02:15 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick Extra and Edge- O.S. 1.60 FX

What are the experiences with the O.S. 1.60 FX engines on the DPM Planes? they are suppossed to be 120-140 sized, but everyone is putting big glow and gas engines on these planes. Whats up? I would hope that I could get either of these plane going for 12.5-13 lbs with the 1.60, and from my experience that is fine for UNLIMITED 3-D! are these wieghts feasible? Prop is 18X6, 18X8, or 20X6 for the O.S.
thanks!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Bob101

Default RE: Dave Patrick Extra and Edge- O.S. 1.60 FX

Even if you got the plane at 13lbs with an OS 1.60 that will not provide "unlimited" 3-D as you state. I have 4 planes currently with an OS 1.60 and if it weighs 13 pounds it's not going to be "unlimited". I guess it depends on what you define as unlimited - but at 13 pounds your not gonna want to risk your DP Extra/Edge to hover less than 50 feet off the ground.

To get what I call unlimited - put it on the deck 3-D your gonna need around 12 or less - the more the better. From 12 to 13 you can get it down there but it gets dicey and pullout near 13 is gonna be sloooow. Past 13 it's purely an aerobatic plane at that point with big control throws.

I've seen 2 DP extras. I don't know why Dave recommends the 1.60fx for them. They are BIG airplanes. Not just wingspan wise - there's a ton of drag on these planes.

Maybe someone with one will chime in that has run a 1.60.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
baronbrian

So 12lb is unlimited?I had a Sig Cap 231ex that was 11.5 to 12 plus 18 oz of fuel at takoff- It was unlimited- hover at 1/2-2/3, pull out of hover, etc. wasnt a lightning fast pull out of hover, but moderate speed. I run 15% in it, what Altitude are you flying at?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Bob101

47 feet above sea level. I have 4 planes with the OS 1.60. Like I said it depends on what you call unlimited. I had a wildhare 73" edge that weighed 10.9 pounds with one - it was unlimited. I had a GP Extra 73" that weighed 13 pounds and it was nowhere near a 3-D machine because of the extra weight. BTW hovering at 2/3 of throttle is not enough "head room" for unlimited in my book . There's more to unlimited 3-D than hovering at 2/3 throttle.

I've flown a 12 pound CapX with an OS 1.60 - and I would say that's as heavy as I want with the OS 1.60 if you want to 3-D on the deck - not just hover but torque roll at ground leve, harrier roll at ground level etc...

The one DP Extra that I see most often has a Brison 3.2 on it. I think it weighs around 17 pounds - give or take. Once you see a DP Extra up close you realise it's not even in the same size category as most planes that recommend a 1.60 size engine. It dwarfs my wildhare 73" edge.

What you realise after looking at several of these planes is that the DP is a more to scale in relation to wing size/fuselage while many planes that fly in this size are not . Like the wildhare edge, and other similar 73-75" planes are one size wing with a fuselage from a scale slightly smaller - to make the wing area higher for the weight etc....

There are several build threads on the DP planes. Maybe someone with more experience in these planes can chime in. I know I've read several and I remember seeing that most people questioned why he recommended a 1.60FX - other than liability reasons.

Here's one of the threads I was looking at earlier....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63.../tm.htm#634380

One guy put a 1.60FX on it - couldn't do an unlimited IMAC sequence because with the 1.60fx it would not do 2 vertical snaps in a row...Just food for thought. Looks like most people came out closer to 14 pounds even with the light glow engines.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:32 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

I have a DPM Edge with a moki 210 (dave patrick version of moki) It weighs 16 pounds 2 ounces dry the only thing i changed from stock was to mount the tank on the cg...not a significant weight addition. I dont believe 12-13 LB is very feasible. My moki flies it great it will do anything, however it has absolutely no pull out power from a hover It will hover and harrier well you just wont be doing it very low unless you like replacing your plane. I have tried serveal different fuel /prop/ muffler combos and my conclusion is that it just isn't enough power to 3D I have just given up on the moki and bought a ZDZ 50 for it. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE JUST GO GAS FROM THE BEGINING and save yourself some money doing it once.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Moki 2.10 too and it is not enough power for the plane at 15 pounds 3.5 ounces. Yes these are very big planes and an OS 1.60 will not be enough. I'd also recommend a 50cc gas engine since there is no glow engine with the power to weight to pull this thing around. Anyone who thinks an OS 1.60, Moki 1.80, Moki 2.10, or any glow engine out there is enough power, is making a big mistake.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:24 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, I have the DP Edge 540 / Moki 210 combo and think it makes a great IMAC precision type plane. I'm not much into 3D, but IMO the wing loading is too high for good 3D. Lack of power doesn't seem to be the problem, just the fact that it flies "heavier" than my similarly equipped H9 Alitalia CAP 232. For IMAC work, it's great: vertical lines are as long as you want with an APC 20X8.

I helped a friend w/ his OS 160 DP Extra and agree with others that that combo only makes for a nice sport flyer - nowhere near enough power for either IMAC or 3D work.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
baronbrian

Thanks guys for the input- maybe the new G.P. 1.60 size Ultimate will be better- Only 1 engine is recomended for it, and I got one!!! or the gene soucy extra
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 PM
sport10

The OS 1.60FX would work great in a DP Ultimate 1.20. The DP Ultimate is the best flying 1/4 scale size ultimate available.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Dandy

i fly a dp extra330L for a couple of years and after a bunch of props later my 160 loves 10% nitro and an APC 18/6 wide,,the only prop to not flatten out afterhalf throttle,,and i believe it is very much unlimited,,at least at my elevation,my plane wieghs just over 12 lbs. with 7 servos,,, hovers just over half throttle,,and will go straight up out of sight,,
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a DPM Extra 78" ... I don't have the manual, can anyone please let me know where the CG should be at? Thanks! I got a Moki 210 for her. Hehehe ...