Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

H9 Twist Engine and Servos

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

H9 Twist Engine and Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:39 AM
mgruenba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H9 Twist Engine and Servos

Hey Guys

I am going to be building myself a Twist. I have a .46 AX, do you guys think it will be powerful enough. What about hovers?

I have JR 537 Standard non-digital servos. Will those be good, or do I need digitals?

Thanks
MAMustang101
Old 07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Walt and Sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Twist Engine and Servos

Hi 101,

I have a TWIST with an OS 46ax and it flys OK...
I know that everyone LOVES 4 strokes but mine out performs
ALL other TWISTS at our club and ALL with 4 strofes...
GREAT inverted flat spins...

Used standard Futaba 3004 bb servos...

You MUST use a 12x4 prop to hover... will pull out slowly...
The plane is a little on the heave side but a lot of fun...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49914.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	296027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70414.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	296028  
Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 AM
mgruenba

Thanks Walt and Sage.

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it. Would a 12.25 x 3.75 work for a prop?

Thanks,
MAMustang101
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Got an AX on mine too. 12x4 prop. Hovers ok, but not excessively powerful.

A 12.25x3.75 should work ok. If you don't like it, you can always change it.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Walt and Sage

I tried the 12.25x3.75 APC and if I remember right it did not
perform as well as the 12x4 Zinger prop...
I think MY motor at least does not like a heavy prop...

Old 07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I have the APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop on my Twist and it works fine. I have, however, considered trying a 12 x 4 to see if the engine (TT .46 Pro) will spool up a bit faster. Slow spool-up is a characteristic of most two-strokes so I don't think the prop change will eliminate it completely. This is the reason most people like running a four stroke on this type of plane. Your .46 AX will work very well and should leave you happy. A YS .63 or Saito .82 are the best engines on this airframe but not really necessary.

I have always run standard Futaba 3004 servos on mine and the only problem I have ever had is one stripped gear which I luckily found on the ground while cleaning the plane. I have well over 200 flights on mine and I always fly it pretty hard so I can't complain about one bad gear.

The only other problem I have ever had with it is two broken CA hinges. The outermost hinge on each aileron broke (two separate occasions) but they have both been repaired. My 3D rates max out the throws and I think the combination of extreme throws and wild maneuvers have taken their toll on the outer hinges. Using pinned hinges wouldn't be a bad idea. My CA hinges did last a while before breaking, however, so they aren't all bad.

Your setup will be just fine. You're going to love this plane. It isn't a perfect flyer but it sure is a lot of fun to toss around!
Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
mgruenba

Thanks FlyerBry,

I cant tell you how much I appreciate your input. I am 14 yrs old. My Dad and I fly RC planes together. He has a Twist, which has an OS 50 SX with a 12.25 x 3.75 prop. He has DS 811 digital deluxe servos. I gather that it is unneeded. I have flown my Dad's before, which is why I decided to get one. I have an Avistar, which as soon as it crashes is going to be replaced by a Twist. The engine does 12,200 RPM, when running rich. I could probably get 15,000.

Thanks for your input.
MAMustang101
Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

I saw one with a Tower 75 on it and it was INSANE! The plane was trully remarkable at what it was capablie of doing. It was in the hands of a guy who just got out of his trainer and he was pulling off all kinds of stunts. You really might want to consider a bigger engine in it.

Why do I say all this because I had a OS 46FX in the same plane and sold the airframe to the guy.

Standard servos are more than enough for it.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:53 AM
mgruenba

Thanks Ken Bryant,

The only reason that I am going to use a .46 AX is because I have one in my Avistar. When my Avistar crashes, I will replace it with a Twist. I am going to upgrade the Hitec servos to JR. She will be awesome. My Dad has a .50 SX in his Twist with a 12.25 x 3.75 prop. I think the .46 will be fine, though.

Thanks,
mgruenba
Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

A .46 is good on the Twist (I have a OS .46 SP on one of mine and a ST.45 on the other). Both have great performance. But I am looking for a 4 stroke for one of them. A friend of mine has a Saito .50 on his and the hover is great. I am running 11X7 and 11X7 on my engines. I am having a lot of fun with Flaparons on mine - 40% flaps stops the the Twist in the air - makes my landings look outstanding. SInce the wind has not been really getting up, I still have not been able to do backwards flying.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:42 PM
mikeboyd

If you are using an APC 12.25X3.75 prop and aren't happy with the spool up. Invest $15 in a Tower .46 muffler. Your Dad's .50SX will come alive on this muffler both at the upper end and the midrange. It might fit the new .46AX as well, don't know if they kept the same bolt pattern for the muffler as the SF and FX had, if they did, then it will fit. The APC 12X4 spools up fast and loads the engine less, but doesn't put out the thrust in the midrange as well. It is really a matter of preference, flying style and atmospheric conditions, when it comes to prop performance.

The twist is a short coupled airplane, if you want something that really flies 3D better, look for a lighter weight plane with a longer fuselage, such as the new .46 harrier or something like that.