Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Need Advice Please... 3rd Plane, 3D Wannabe

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Need Advice Please... 3rd Plane, 3D Wannabe

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice Please... 3rd Plane, 3D Wannabe

I'm currently flying an Ultra Stick 60 with a .91OS FS in it - this is my second plane. It's a great plane and has been great in teaching me to fly level, fly more precise, fly inverted, hover (still working on that though), and many aerobatics. From what I understand, the US60 isn't the best plane for 3D, so I'm thinking about getting into a new plane. Perhaps it has a lot to do with my lack of stick skills, but it seems impossible to knife edge this plane very well, or inverted flat spin it which turns out to be a big upside down flat circle at best.

My options: Keep the US as a back up plane and use an old K&B .45 I have lying around to throw into a .40 size profile or ??? that'll be a better 3D bird. Or, yank the .91 and get a bigger 3D plane.

I guess I'm looking for a good 3rd plane that'll be better in teaching me 3D than the US60.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Liberator

Default RE: Need Advice Please... 3rd Plane, 3D Wannabe

I have my U-Can-Do with a Magnum .91 in it and it is a fun machine with that set up. If I had it to do over again, I would pick up a digital servo for the rudder and increase the throw to help that out a bit. The flat spin needs some help, but I may have the plane balanced weird. It's a great plane imo to learn some stuff on, but I am sure that you will have others with very strong opinions about their pet planes.

The other thing that helped me a bunch is going to flyingcirkus.com

They have a thing called 3D university where they teach you how to do various manuvers. They show the sticks super imposed over the video of the plane so you can watch the stick imputs and see how they are effecting the plane.

Plus you will get to learn a whole new vocabulary.

You best get to huckin it!

Tom
Old 07-12-2005, 11:37 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put your old K&B in an Accel Katana 40. That would be a great plane for you and they are getting cheaper every day ($115). Look at Accel Hobbies or Ohio model planes. I guy at my field flew one with an OS 46FS and the thing flew like a dream. Any 3D manuever you can throw at it and on low rates would handle better than any trainer out there.

PS: It's a profile plane but it would make a great 3D trainer.

http://accelhobby.com/2p_katanags40.html
Old 07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
TSuppa
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Sig Mayhem with a OS 120 and it flies great.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go with the Fliton Extra 330, amazing. Its about freestyle aerobatics. I have flown the F90 and I have much more fun with the Extra 330. The US will not teach you to 3D that well, its not meant for that. It can prop hang etc but the deisign is not for pure 3D fun. An OS91 on the Fliton Extra will be amazing. Try viewing it at www.fliton.com ... from what I see this plane will be much better than the Funtanas, just that its a big 40 sized plane ... 60" w/span.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

I would second the ucando with your .91 It'll do anything in the book.....and inverted flat spins....I like doing them while climbing.....Not many planes manage to do that.

Neo
Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the input. I have it narrowed down to a couple choices, the Fliton Extra being one of them.