Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Younger vs Older

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!
View Poll Results: A poll
Younger pilots better
56.52%
Older pilots better
14.49%
Both the same
28.99%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Younger vs Older

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:40 PM
iceyflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Younger vs Older

Hi fellow flyers. I have seen alot of good pilots in the last 2 years i have been in this hobby. Some are kids some are older. I was just wondering who you think is better at flying 3D. Some people say kids are better because they are fearless and other people say the older pilots are better because they are more experienced. Please vote and tell us all your OPINION and explain why you u believe one group is better than the other group. I did not create this to start an argument i was just curious.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Flach

Default RE: Younger vs Older

I 19 years old and I`m not fearless when I`m flying, I think the only advantage we have is that we can spend a lot of time training and flying simulators when the olders barely have time to fly all weekends.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I think younger are better because the spend too much time on video games. My son can fly my RC plane pretty good and he's only flown two days in his life. But he practices before hand on the simulator. Also, quick reflexes. It has nothing to do with being fearless. I'm fearless and will try anything, but I can't do 3D all that well.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

yeah... i agree...younger pilots play games more and so we have more eyes and hand cordinations.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:55 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

all you kids are just a bunch of punks......get a job!

........and for those who don't know any better.....that was an example of heavy sarcasm.....
Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Chip Hyde has admitted that he needs every edge he can get to stay ahead of the younger pilots.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

The younger kids on an average are better. I HATE them when they make me look like a beginner
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I chose older pilots for the hidden reasons. There is no doubt that a kid will have better eyesight and faster reflexes and such, and yes, there are some SERIOUSLY good young pilots out there, but that is all they are, for the most part. All they care about is 3D and winning contests or showing off at the local field (I was young once, too), but older good pilots have a better attitude about their flying ability and generally fly smoother, and handle stressful situations better, and are more likely to compliment others on their flying, and not be so stuck-up about their own flying ability.
I am in the middle, I think, of the young and old - at 30, I have no category[]. But I have been flying since I was about 10 and used to be a top pilot at many of the local fields in Sothern California, sport flying-wise, in my teens. I used to fly just to get a reaction out of people, but I started noticing that the inexperienced flyers were more interested in the guy that did tumbles all day (stick slamming) than they were in some of my precision rolling maneuvers or low slow rolls, etc. I ended up losing interest in airplanes and took a break. Now I am older and I am back into it, and enjoying it for the right reasons. I still get ooh's and ahh's on occasion, but that's not why I fly. I now fly simply because it is a kick in the pants!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: woops

Chip Hyde has admitted that he needs every edge he can get to stay ahead of the younger pilots.
chip started winning competitions when he was 14. not fly in but MAJOR stuff.. i remember it was around 1990.

im also in the middle 35yrs old.. i think i fly better than i did when i was 14.. the thing that gets you when you get older i think you think about the crashing consequences more . but if you dont worry like when you were 14 like i didnt ... like i still dont,, you will pull off new moves everyday you are going to crash reguardless. the question is when..
Old 07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kids, all there good for is checking for cracks in the woodshed and bringing me a beer[X(]
Old 07-13-2005, 06:25 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

kids, all there good for is checking for cracks in the woodshed and bringing me a beer[X(]
just got another beer and i had to get it myself[sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-13-2005, 06:38 PM
raideron

Me Too..... I'm even on the thread subject..... Hard to beat on
one end and lot's of know how on the other...... As bodyworks
said..... It's really about FUN.....

Crashes.... drumbum has said... Not IF..... But WHEN:-)
Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if anyone dosnt really know me im just kidding, my two boys would take me to the woodshed, but when they were young,OOOOOOOOHHHHH were they good boys,who were better than me on the mike tyson boxing game on nintindo. but as far as flying, they better practice more, im the champ now!!!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
50%plane

Practice makes perfect. Anyone can be the best pilot- if they practice harder than everyone else.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:39 PM
wryman
My Feedback: (9)

Finally a dumb poll that "woops" didn't start, I've been waiting for so long!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM
50%plane

Wryman, Why are you following me around on RCU trying to discredit and undermine everything I write? Do you have anything to add to this thread? If so, post it. Then after you have posted it move on to a thread that interest you and doesn't have anything to do with me.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:49 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Woops, I don't know about that. I think natural ability is a factor also. I competed in AMA patters for about 15 years seriously and practiced A LOT. But when you come up against a young guy with natural ability, good eyes, good reflexes and his dad is paying all the bills.....I didn't have enough time to practice enough to beat him.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
50%plane

I'll agree in part. A younger pilot doesn't have to work as hard, but an older pilot can still be on top. (I'm a young pilot)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Alot of young pilots have their parents buying their planes for them that is what makes them fearless! I know I would be if it wasn't my cash ending up in a thousand pieces
Old 07-13-2005, 08:48 PM
iceyflyer

Well im a younger pilot and i boutght my planes and my radio and my engines except the pitts i got for christmas
Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 AM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: FBaity

Woops, I don't know about that. I think natural ability is a factor also. I competed in AMA patters for about 15 years seriously and practiced A LOT. But when you come up against a young guy with natural ability, good eyes, good reflexes and his dad is paying all the bills.....I didn't have enough time to practice enough to beat him.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Man, aint that he truth!!! To be honest, I don't really like most of the father-son flyers I come in contact with. It seams all the fathers think their son is the next big thing, and since they have zero flying ability, they buy their kid everything they want and live vicariously through them and do nothing but talk about how great their kid is and blah, blah, blah...makes me laugh and makes me sick at the same time. I laugh because I watch the kid fly and see he aint got no skills, and it makes me sick that he's gettin' top-dollar stuff from Daddy for nothin' and I think, "man, if only I had my own personal bankroll...My flying would be 200% better than it is now!"
I guess it's a bit of jealousy on my part, too. Especially because my dad's father, who distanced himself from the family about 40 years ago, is now in our lives again, and he is OBSESSED with this hobby (it's 90% of what made him leave), and there was a time when he offered to buy me a Compy 2.6 and the whole works, but I wasn't flying then, due to school, and would have felt bad taking it. If only he would have come back sooner...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

ORIGINAL: iceyflyer

Well im a younger pilot and i boutght my planes and my radio and my engines except the pitts i got for christmas
I bet you take care of and appreciate your equipment and planes alot more being you earned the money to buy them yourself. So it will naturally make you more caustious when you are trying out new manuvers.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kids learn faster, that is why they are better, life is better and they get the opportunity to enjoy such luxury. Still ... age gives experience so as the kids grow up they will be better than we are. Its simple ... were our forefathers better than we are technologically and with ability to do things? That's life ... kids who are 21 are entrusted with the safety of the US ... 5 years ago no one would trust them with the family saloon car!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
spratrbo
My Feedback: (28)

I don't get it... what constitutes a "younger" and "older" pilot? Is this like Logan's run where when you turn 30 you are sent to sanctuary? ( I know I just dated myself with that one!) I drive down the road zipping around all sorts of people young and old and telling my girlfriend if I ever start driving slow like that to put me out to pasture. And what about a lot of fighter pilots and test pilots... they still have reflexes but are usually given the responsibility when older.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:30 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting topic. If you take the computer generated youngster verses the over thirty adult with limited computer skills, I believe the youngster would prevail. I personally have whitnessed two young adults solo in less than five practise sessions. On the other hand we have an individual who is in his fifties that still can't land after a year of flying.

Computers using flight simulator programs have enhanced the proficiency and skills of all age groups but the young have most benifited from this tool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.