Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Should I Quit RC for a While?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Should I Quit RC for a While?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Quit RC for a While?

Should I quit flying RC for a while? I am 18 years old and don't make that much money. After many obligations, I have $85 left to spend a month. This month I spent $80 on a Tracphone because the car I borrow to drive to the flying field might leave me stranded. After buying fuel, I don't have much left to buy stuff to keep my models in good working order every month. When my radio system started to go, I took as much money as I had made the previous year to buy a 9C because I was told that it could do everything I needed it to do. While not having any money during that time, I used 6 year old fuel that I was given to attempt to fly my planes. I have made substitutes for just about everything on my planes. I'm an excellent builder and I design my own planes. I am a pretty good pilot, but my planes keep breaking on me resulting in many crashes making it look like I should be flying on buddy box. I bought G3 on sale using my savings from the past couple of months so that I wouldn't lose my ability to fly well. Most pilots at my club are getting wary every time I fly. I do dumb stuff sometimes( flying a telemaster inverted about 5 feet off the corn with a broken needle valve- you guessed it, it started sucking air resulting in a high speed inverted landing) because I forget how fragile my planes are. Many members of my club try to support me by giving me their old planes. I have told many members of my club that I'm a good pilot, but they are starting to think that I'm a fraud because I don't have anything to show for it. What should I do?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
50%plane

Default RE: Should I Quit RC for a While?

Wryman and Rryman, Please don't post in this thread.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Mudsurfer1234

NO! Dont quit, "quitters never win.... cuz they quitted" if that makes sense..

if you quit for a while, when you come back, you'll be out of "the loop" and have to get readjusted. I would just slow it down, get something really small you can fly at home to ease the "MUST NEED TO FLY" monkey off your back. My dad bought a foamy "Teddy", which is the EASIEST most boring plane you can get, elevator, rudder, and a pusher motor up on the high dihedral wing... it's below a trainer, and i have a blast just cruising around at like 6 inches off the ground, then going up, shutting motor off, and gliding.

I vote to get a park flyer and fly either at your house or somewhere close, if it allows.

dont quit, just take it easy and save up that money. get a nice good quality plane, and have fun with a parkflyer (not to insult that you cant fly anything else, just to save money) till then.

Hope it helped you out,
Scott[8D]
Old 07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Yep, invest in a foamy (or buy a stack of bluecore for $30)

THen get ;ots of free plans here on RCU... sell what you have to get a HiMax 4266 and some 12x6 props and then a couple thunderpower 1320 packs.... oh yeah a charger....

Then you can fly as often as you want... the foamies will increase your capabilities better than any sim and you'll be blowing the doors off the other club members in no time...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:44 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

back when i was in college i use to build planes for money to fly. i built 2 or 3 a week (kits) the LHS i was dealing with was a guy in his back yard selling. he was a good guy and i built them in trade for stuff to fly with.I had a goldberg ultimate with a G23..because i couldnt afford glow fuel.It flew like a brick but it was all that i had and i enjoyed flying and just going to the club and the people there.the best thing i can say is fly when you can if you really enjoy it and things will get better. you dont have to have the best of everything to enjoy what you are doing ......
Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

The best stuff will come in time. I am 33 and still waiting[:@]
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 PM
former spad

I have tried electric foamies, the Li po batteries get expensive if you are not very careful. I got more flight hours for the dollar with the SPAD designs. Simple Plastic Airplane Design, a crash that totals the airframe may only cost a few dollars if you get lucky and don't break anything else.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:13 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

The best stuff will come in time. I am 33 and still waiting[:@]

im 52 and its just getting to the real fun part not to pop your bubble or anything but you need to make more money(not you extra but the originator)
Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
3dbob37n

Hey Virginny: Naw, don't quit. If you flew your Telemaster inverted over the cornifield you must be pretty good and just maybe you've got some folks a little jealous of your flying ability.
The suggestion to build models to sell in order to raise money is a good one. Electric would require a larger investment.
Suggest you stick with what you have but I get the impression that you are not taking care of the little details. Sucessful flying is 90% details right from building to first flight. The other 10% is actual flying.
So take care of the details and don't get in such a rush to get something in the air.
May I suggest you look at a Funtana .40 or 90. These are great airplanes and fly like a feather.
Mountain Bob
Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 PM
emnm79

Electric won't always be more expensive in all cases, my foamy setup including a charger is cheaper than a good F40 setup, and will take as many crashes as you can dish out, provided you have some glue Maybe look into a R3d or other epp planes, they are pretty much indestructable, and even if you do rip them, its an easy fix...

I flew Realflight G2 for over a year before flying my first plane, if you don't keep flying, just keep at the sim and you'll be fine...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 PM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

yeah..i got great advice from guys here... save money to buy foamies. save your model rite now... but go for foamy
Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 AM
BoneDoc

to stop the bleeding, you have to be more mindful of what you fly and how much you can push it (take that telemaster for example). I'm sure that if you can avoid "doing stupid things" as you put it, you'll have more money ore other stuff.

I do agree with the foamy deal though. you can do all the stupid things you want with that .
Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 AM
50%plane

Thanks for all the great advice. In a few months, I'm not going to be around for a while. I would love to get a foamy, but I don't think I will have the money before then. I love flying RC, but I'm not able to spend as much as I like. I(as I said in my origional post) make my own little pieces for my planes and they are holding together for the most part. It's a struggle just to keep a .40 size plane together. I want to finish a Kaos that I was given, but I want to do it well. That will require about $70. It will be a while before I can. What's really sad about the Telemaster is that Rryman gave it to me and I crashed it while he was there. It's funny because I brought it in within a foot of the corn and around 3 feet off the runway inverted the night before. Other stuff happens to me also. I crashed landed a Laser arrow around 200 mph in a wheat field at a different field.(my motor had a problem that wasn't avoidable)My own fellow club members are starting to want me out of the club for another reason, but using these things as an excuse. To them I'm an overrated irritating person. I can't help these things on my budget. I can't afford a F40 in a month or two so it doesn't matter that much. I don't want to give it up, but I don't have the respect of most of my fellow club members. I've asked if I should leave the club, but Wryman(club president) told me "Oh no, you don't need to do that." I'm doing my best every week to help who I can, but my experiences are looked upon as lies. Don't get me wrong here, I love helping people from telling them congratulations to holding a plane or giving them a screw. I'm the only person at my flying field that hasn't bought an ARF that I've seen more that twice a year.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 AM
JasonS

You won't gain respect by worrying about what others think of you. They will judge you by your actions. At most clubs, even the MOST experienced pilots will catch flack for doing inverted on the deck flybys, especially with known issues with the equipment. Slow down and fly at your experience level and you will get much more respect. Its much cheaper too.
You sound like you have a great radio and a running engine. What else do you need? You can build an airframe out of just about anything. Spad, bluefoam, foamcore - there are lots of internet guides to airframes under $25.
If you really love flying, you'll base your decisions on what keeps you in the air. Not what certain club members think of you. Funny thing is - if you keep flying, the social part works itself out.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:00 AM
50%plane

It's not a matter of what they think of me, it's what I need to do to not be thought of as a danger to everyone. I can't afford that right now so that's why I'm trying to decide if I should quit for a few years. I could care less about what anybody thinks of me as a person.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:30 AM
raideron

I would say do not quit.... Use what you have for now to enjoy the hobby,
But understand it's limitation... You said your a excellent builder and
design your own planes.... That being said, that will truely help in keeping
your cost down and still have a safe plane, as long as you fly within it's
envelope... And on Club members.... If you fly within you and your plane's
envelope.... And are truely haveing a hard time $$$$$ wise in this hobby
some members will help in keeping you going......
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was in college I was fortunate to have a dad in the hobby. I might not have a plane but I could go home on the weekend and fly his. That said, you don't have to get out of the hobby. You might have to hang on the simulator for 6 months but you can have a very fun plane for around $100 bucks. My dad and I have scratch built our own profiles for under $50.00. You can get a Thunder .46 pro for around $65.00. They might not be impressive at the field but they are fun to fly.

A word of advice from someone who has been there, if money is a problem don't be doing low inverted passes. Have fun flying high. This will help with the dumb thumb accidents as well as engine failures. It is a rush to fly low but it isn't so much fun when you bust your only plane. Again, not being able to afford planes is another reason to be very meticulous with your maintenance and care of your equipment.

It is hard when you see the cool stuff at the field. When I was in college I thought I had arrived when I got a 25%er. Then I wanted a 33%. I got one a few years later and wnated a 35%. I now have a 35%er and want a 40%er. You just have to learn to enjoy what you have.

My thoughts,

Dan
Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM
50%plane

Thanks for all the great advise. I think I'll stop saving for a car and put the money toward my Kaos and a few other projects. After this Telemaster situation, I've stopped doing low inverted passes. See, I can learn. Maybe when the parts for my Evolution TPS come in I'll be able to fly my Kaos. Does anyone know if an Evo TPS is supposed to go 200+mph?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
50%plane

I'm back to the same problem again. I am a responsible person and don't want to borrow the money to have something to fly, but I want to fly. As I said before, I'm the only one paying for my hobby needs. (Others in my club donate to my hanger, but I spend a lot on suplies to restore/finish these aircraft.) Does anyone have any advise here?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

[&:]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:49 AM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Yes I believe that at the TPS was origionally designed to be a 200+ MPH Ducted Fan engine capable of smoking any of those turbine junkers for the money. The turbine manufacturers paid Evo keep it under wraps and detune it with the flywheel weight and 3 bladed RPM reducing prop. It was then discovered to be an amazing powerplant for 40 size trainers. You must have taken the weighted flywheel and prop off and foiled thier plot.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:09 AM
50%plane

It comes with a normal hub. I used a 10X7 on my Laser Arrow on a full throttle downline that started out of sight. I then pulled level about 8' off the ground right before the carb retainer flew out. Knocked the nose off in my hard landing(80mph) in a wheat field.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Kurt P

If you're thinking of quitting for the reason you gave, you're not born with the modelflying-virus.
You can fly very well on a low budged, been there, done that. That were the years that I had the most fun with my hobby. I was carefull not to crash due to mistakes, and that works well. Then of course you must not show off to your flying buddies.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:07 AM
50%plane

I'm thinking about quiting for a couple of years because I really shouldn't be spending any money on RC. I'm not having fun with a poor record because I don't have that much for even a clevis. I have rigged just about every thing on my planes at one time or another.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:34 AM
georgec

I say quit because that is what it sounds like you want to do anyway. Man talk about beating a dead horse to death. Good Lord

Also whats this doing in the 3D forum anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.