Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rollingharrier to the right or left

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Rollingharrier to the right or left

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Marcos Nieto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollingharrier to the right or left

Hi guys................I´m learning (trying to) some techniques on 3D flying on Simulator and trying to practice them them every weekend at the field. I´m also watching some videos of the different 3D tricks.
When in normal straight and level flight it is easier for me to roll to the right; I can do slow rolls with no problem and some times I can also get a decent rolling circle........why??? Probably I learned to roll to the right in the first time. Now, when trying the rollingharrier it seem difficult to overcome the engine torque when doing it to the right; the plane has little or no air speed and an air blast is needed to make things going(rolling)
Is there any difference in rollingharrier to the right or to the left??

Any comment will help

Thanks
Marcos
Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Rollingharrier to the right or left

Yes, and you already stated the difference - engine torque. Still, it is important that you learn everything you practice in both directions, so start with what you are most comfortable and then go to the opposite direction.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:26 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

I am the same way. The roll to the left just messes with my mind. I guess I have the stick movements memorized for the roll to the right and need to re-learn for the left.

Something that helps me in general is to set up the control throws so that the plane react exactly the same way up/down left/right roll and left/right yaw, i.e. +x amount of stick travel gives the exact same roll rate as -x amount of stick travel (just in the opposite direction). This means that I typically have more left aileron travel than right (to counter torque).

Another thing that helps me is to set up the rudder and elevator to generate the same effect about the center of gravity. A certain amount of elevator stick travel produces the equivalent pitching moment that the same amount of rudder stick would give. This makes hovering MUCH easier for me.

I am still working on that left roller, but I can perform lllooonnnnggggg slow rolls either direction. Go figure.

Brett
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

for some reason i am the most comfortable left,, it is hard for me to do them right. and im right handed so i dont know the reason. but i have learned both ways. but even now the right is hardest for me
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rolls were always right when I first tried them on my trainer. So I still like to roll right. My rolling harriers are the same. I can do them better right than left, I think it's just a brain block we all put up. Either way can be done with equal practice.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:28 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Its easier to roll to the right in the rolling harrier b/c the rolls are slower. If you do it to the left it will speed up and is a bit harder to control. I dont know of a plane that you dont have to bump the throttle on to keep it in a good rolling harrier, especially when you turn it into a harrier rolling circle with a little wind blowing. Start off with what feels comfy and then reverse it.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an easier time rolling to the outside of the circle. The left and right arnt as important as CW or CCW circles. If that makes sense.

David
Old 07-16-2005, 10:20 AM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: drumbum

for some reason i am the most comfortable left,, it is hard for me to do them right. and im right handed so i dont know the reason. but i have learned both ways. but even now the right is hardest for me

I couldn't agree more drumbum. I can do it both ways, but to the left rolling inside is almost effortless, but to the right takes slightly more effort for me and I am right handed also.

Experimentation has shown that the two different sides or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

LEFT BRAIN
Logical
Sequential
Rational
Analytical
Objective
Looks at parts

RIGHT BRAIN
Random
Intuitive
Holistic
Synthesizing
Subjective
Looks at wholes

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

My Brain Lateralization Test Results from were as followed. I am considered equally hemisphered.

Right Brain |||||||||||||| 52%
Left Brain |||||||||||| 48%

Maybe that is why I can write with both hands.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:21 PM
3D-kid330

It takes practice, and I agree with all of the above statements about the torque, etc. When I first started flying 3d, I was more comfortable rolling to the right. Now I can roll each way, start and stop one way and then the other, and stuff like that. On some planes, the effect of the torque is felt more than others.

Brandon
Old 07-16-2005, 05:06 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: DTB

ORIGINAL: drumbum

I couldn't agree more drumbum. I can do it both ways, but to the left rolling inside is almost effortless, but to the right takes slightly more effort for me and I am right handed also.

Experimentation has shown that the two different sides or hemispheres, of the brain are responsible for different manners of thinking. The following illustrates the differences between left-brain and right-brain thinking:

LEFT BRAIN
Logical
Sequential
Rational
Analytical
Objective
Looks at parts

RIGHT BRAIN
Random
Intuitive
Holistic
Synthesizing
Subjective
Looks at wholes

Most individuals have a distinct preference for one of these styles of thinking. Some, however, are more whole-brained and equally adept at both modes. In general, schools tend to favor left-brain modes of thinking, while downplaying the right-brain ones. Left-brain scholastic subjects focus on logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy. Right-brained subjects, on the other hand, focus on aesthetics, feeling, and creativity.

My Brain Lateralization Test Results from were as followed. I am considered equally hemisphered.

Right Brain |||||||||||||| 52%
Left Brain |||||||||||| 48%

Maybe that is why I can write with both hands.

Thats odd i can write with both hands too, i eat using both to. for EX: i cut the steak with my right and use the fork with my left. instead of sitting the fork down and switching to the right with it.. I also play drums (hince the name drumbum). but that is pretty wild.. I just wished i had learned to fly the pinch method instead of the thumb method i learned back in 81. ive tried to change but i guess im stuck..
Old 07-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Fly-n-3D

Is the pinch method or thumb muthod better?
Old 07-16-2005, 06:10 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: Fly-n-3D

Is the pinch method or thumb muthod better?
i dont know if one is better that the other but. trying to fly on the sim ive found it is easier to get in some of the corners faster on the side that your thumbs are "binding" a. but i learned thumb and to me its like learning all over again when i try the pinch method.. serves same purpose though
Old 07-16-2005, 07:38 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fly thumbs, but I suspect the "pinch" method gives you more control, it almost has to. It never mattered that I flew thumbs until I got serious about 3D. With 3D you spend a whole lot of time working both sticks on both axis all at the same time and you need very precise control of all 4 at once as well to make maneuvers clean.

Ocassionaly I find that 1 of 2 things happen to me, I end up with my thumb slipping off of the stick or I have marks in the end of my thumbs from bearing down on the sticks.[>:] I would like to switch to pinch but I have tried but it is very uncomfortable for me. One concellation is that the more my 3D skills improve the better my thumbs subconsciously "stick" to the sticks.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:01 PM
gjeffers

well i guess i fit both molds, i fly thumb on left stick and pinch on right, have tried to pinch left but after a while and i think to check im back to thumb. i do eat fried chicken with the pinch on the left
Old 07-16-2005, 09:05 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I've been comfortable harrier-rolling to the right. But as I work on harrier rolling to the left, I find that my elevator timing is off, not because of my brain, but because of the thumb placement. I think the way how I hold the transmitter result in less control in my right thumb when the right stick is banked all the way to the left. By the way, I still hold the stick with thumb and index finger, the old patter style. This is not good when the right stick is all the way left.

Really good fliers like Andrew Jesky will do harrier rolling circle both ways.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

well i guess i fit both molds, i fly thumb on left stick and pinch on right, have tried to pinch left but after a while and i think to check im back to thumb. i do eat fried chicken with the pinch on the left
I also fly thumb on the left and pinch on the right, but I started out using both thumbs, but learned the pinch method worked better for my right hand, but worse for my left and vice versa.

I don't think about it when I get the controller. It is automatic.

Oh btw, Drumbum. I eat steak the same way. I cut with the right and eat with the left, but I am dominant to the right hand, but the left has no problem taking over when I eat steak. I play the trumpet with either hand also.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Fly-n-3D

When I do piro flips on my G3 sim with helis, sometimes my thumb slips off of the stick. I was trying to learn pinch method but it dosent feel right after I am used to using my thumbs.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:53 PM
gjeffers

ok seems to be a few that cut with their right and fork with their left and are right handed here(same as me )now i wonder do any of you like this shoot a rifle left handed and shoot a pistol right handed,and i do this proficantly, and by the way i like rolling left.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
drumbum

interesting stuff..

my thumba also will slip. and when you are torque rolling about 1 foot up it makes you go[sm=stupid.gif][:-]

plus you get those spots on your thumb where the stick has been digging all day
Old 07-17-2005, 03:28 PM
C140 Brothers

come on just remember its the opposite way to rolling right

its easy once you know one way [8D]
Old 07-17-2005, 03:34 PM
C140 Brothers

practise makes perfect
Old 07-17-2005, 05:47 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: C140 Brothers

perraps you should take a pointer from this boy,here he is on a windy day

watch this video

http://static.rcgroups.com/gallery/d...5956Movie1.wmv

C140, no offense intended and not to be a butt or anything, but what were we looking for? The torque roll?

If you really want to be impressed, check these out.

Dial up's beware!!!

Click here the links below:

DROP'N IN
DROP'N IN 2
Hey-Ya

Old 07-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Marcos Nieto

Hey guys.........I´ve seen both thumb and pinch doing a great job.....I think that matter depend on how do you feel comfortable when rolling or in general flying, and at the end it largely depend on how did you learn to fly in the first place. I fly thumb and never bother trying to fly pinch. The point here is different..........where to start when beginning to roll-herrier, to the right or to the left.....

Marcos
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Marcos Nieto

Hi DBT................have you any idea on what engine on that Funtana 90???
I have a new Funtana90/OS 120 combo and plan to test flight next weekend. I hope mine will have as good vertical as Kyle plane does...??????.......

Marcos
Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: Marcos Nieto

Hey guys.........I´ve seen both thumb and pinch doing a great job.....I think that matter depend on how do you feel comfortable when rolling or in general flying, and at the end it largely depend on how did you learn to fly in the first place. I fly thumb and never bother trying to fly pinch. The point here is different..........where to start when beginning to roll-herrier, to the right or to the left.....

Marcos
just wich way feels comfortable to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.