Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Best 40 Size 3D Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Best 40 Size 3D Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Harleyflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 40 Size 3D Flyer

What is the best 40 size 3D flyer in everyone's opinion? I realize this is open to alot of interpretation but I am really interested in what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
emnm79
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Best 40 Size 3D Flyer

so far, I like my omp yak54 47" profile, haven't had it doing much 3d, but it flies good and builds really light, and so far the 3d is good even with a conservative cg, I've moved it back for the next flight and will try to wring it out

If you want good 3d AND looks, i'd have to go with a funtana, they look and fly great...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I don't have a lot of the 3D planes under my belt but my vote would have to go with the UCD 46. Very fun to fly and learn on. [8D]
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have flown almost all the favourite 3D planes but not the profiles ... I find that the best for pure 3D is the TT Spirit 3D, no bad habits ... she will stick in a prop hang, only down side is you need to reinforce her a little when building, not much work ... just some CA/Epoxy here and there. All the plane needs is a 46 2C and she will prop hang at 55% throttle.

For aerobatic 3D then it has to be the Fliton Extra 330 only. The F40 is not that great a plane anymore and the Magic Extra is passe.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

you could try the Modeltech Magic, for $100(the last time I checked) you can't really go wrong, 90% of all pictures I see of the Magic are of it hovering so I would have to guess it hovers pretty stable. I have one that I was going to build but just never got around to it. Its like 40% done if you want it i'll sell if to you just PM me.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this one a lot. I'm on my second one of these planes.

http://www.raidentech.com/3dgi20240nig.html

It's called a 3D Giles. Wingspan is 49" and it weighs 5 pounds RTF with a TH .75 engine.

You can buy it from chief, GSP, or Raidentech for about $100.

I'm no 3D expert, but I am really happy with the way this plane flies. It's got a nice thick wing and it will fly as slow as you want. It's a full fuselage plane--not a profile. I can do harriers with very minimal wing-rocking. It hovers effortlessly. Flat spins easily--both inverted and right-side up.

It has a few issues that I don't like:
China covering
wire gear needs to be replaced with aluminum
tail skid needs to be replaced with a steerable tailwheel

I have pics of mine assembled with a TH .75, but I am having trouble uploading the images. If anyone is interested in seeing it built--shoot me an email or reply here and I'll send pics via email.

For $100 shipped from www.raidentech.com you can't go wrong.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Wings-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want 3d and a .40 size plane, there is nothing better than a modern 3d profile. Mojo-40, OMP-YAK 54-40, Accel Kantana gs-40.
All will 3D well. They just don't do the other stuff well (like fly fast circles or pattern type stuff).
Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Wings-RCU

If you really want 3d and a .40 size plane, there is nothing better than a modern 3d profile. Mojo-40, OMP-YAK 54-40, Accel Kantana gs-40.
All will 3D well. They just don't do the other stuff well (like fly fast circles or pattern type stuff).
But, profiles are so UGLY.[:'(] All the servos and the guts hanging on the outside of the plane. You can't beat a profile for all out performance and light wing loading. They require a smaller engine--so fuel economy is a plus. Most are simple to build and will fit in the truck fully assembled.

But they're UGLY

Got some pics loaded.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13463.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	299616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81505.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	299617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15382.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	299618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73423.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	299619  
Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

So if you don't care about how it flies, fatties are the way to go.

Eric

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

But, profiles are so UGLY.[:'(] All the servos and the guts hanging on the outside of the plane. You can't beat a profile for all out performance and light wing loading. They require a smaller engine--so fuel economy is a plus. Most are simple to build and will fit in the truck fully assembled.

But they're UGLY

Got some pics loaded.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

If you can find one, kyosho flip 3d
Old 07-21-2005, 03:17 AM
lomcevek1

But, profiles are so UGLY.[:'(]
But they're UGLY

*SIGH* Some people just don't get it.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 AM
tIANci

I know flatties are UGLY but they are almost a pound lighter for a 40 sized plane!!! I am dying to get one ... sigh.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 AM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

Sledge from Morris,

Mojo from Swany

Katana P (the kit version) from OMP
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 AM
tIANci

In Malaysia flatties are not in ... only one i can about get is the Carl Goldberg Extreme ... and it costs almost like USD200
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Wings-RCU

But, profiles are so UGLY. All the servos and the guts hanging on the outside of the plane. You can't beat a profile for all out performance and light wing loading. They require a smaller engine--so fuel economy is a plus. Most are simple to build and will fit in the truck fully assembled.

But they're UGLY

I don't know about that..I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yours is the one that seems to have the guts hanging out, not my profile. Wow, and those colors....Pink & Yellow. I would make sure I had a beer in my hand and a "I love NFL football" shirt on when I went to the flying field.

Now here is a plane...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26614.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	299801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86111.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	299802  
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Wings-RCU
I don't know about that..I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yours is the one that seems to have the guts hanging out, not my profile. Wow, and those colors....Pink & Yellow. I would make sure I had a beer in my hand and a "I love NFL football" shirt on when I went to the flying field.
Hey, it's an ARF--what can I do about the covering? Not about to strip it and recover a brand new plane. I took the skis off when the lakes thawed out--last week.

It flies great. Buy one for $100 and try it out. You can't buy a kit and build it for that price. You guys at sea level should be able to get away with a .46--.50 size engine. I'm using the TH .75 because of my altitude. It hovers at 1/2 throttle with a 13-5 prop.

Oh, and I hate football, and hockey, and baseball, and golf, and basketball, and boxing. No engines or nitro fuel involved--just doesn't hold my interest. I guess I'll buy an NHRA tee-shirt for wearin' to the field.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Spacey

Rcpilet: I am dead serious when I say I am not here to launch a personal attack on you. And I am not here to get into an argument with you although I know what I'm about to say is reason to start one. Buddy I just want to share with my thoughts with you as I've flown two of those China Model Giles 3D planes in the last year. Both of them had very good powerplants and were properly setup.

See here's the thing. That planes doesn't come ANYWHERE near ANY of my profiles from OMP. Not even close! It's a dog compared to the planks. I will admit that between all the .40 size 3D fatties I've flown it is definitely one of the better ones as it can knife and do the 3D thing if you're an expert 3D pilot. But the lack of tail authority just doesn't do it for me. It gets very funky in the harriers and the hovers are not great. Just not a relaxing 3D plane. You have to stay ahead of it for miles to get something out of it.

I really wish I could let you fly out a couple of tanks on one of my profiles. Heck I'll even let you pick the one just so you can see what you're missing out on. If you can 3D that thing I have alot of respect for you. Heck you'll look like one of the TOC pilots on one of my planks then.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Nitro10

But, profiles are so UGLY. All the servos and the guts hanging on the outside of the plane. You can't beat a profile for all out performance and light wing loading. They require a smaller engine--so fuel economy is a plus. Most are simple to build and will fit in the truck fully assembled.
Most of the Morris profiles have the servos flush mounted in the wing and the fuel tank is in the wing as well. You must not have been around too many "real" profiles

My vote goes for the MOJO or a Morris profile...Sledge, Top cap etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Spacey
If you can 3D that thing I have alot of respect for you. Heck you'll look like one of the TOC pilots on one of my planks then.
I'm a decent pilot, but I'm not an expert. I consider myself a reasonably smooth intermediate pilot. I can do 3D with it. I've found it to be pretty darn stable in a harrier. Both upright and inverted. It does have some mild wing rocking--but it's easily controlled with ailerons and rudder. I think it hovers effortlessly. Like it was built to just stick the nose up and hang there for hours. I can torque it for a whole tank. It will knife edge at very low power settings, and hold a line.
I'm not sure why you think it is lacking in tail authority. I think it has plenty. I have my elevators set up with 70degrees deflection and 55% expo. My rudder is all I can get with no expo. Ailerons have 45degrees deflection with 35% expo. I got all the control I can use.

I've built the Sig Ultimate Bipe Profile and thought it was ugly. The gas tank is strapped on the side of the fuse. I had to mount 3 Hitec HS-81MG in the tail to balance it with a 61FX on the nose. That was pretty ugly--all the extensions and servo cases hanging out the sides. It's no 3D plane. Mild sport aerobatics at best. And it weighs 6 pounds.

I've built the Lanier Pro Twister. That plane had a Tower .61 on the nose. Same problem. I had to mount servos in the tail to balance it, and they looked ugly. The tank is strapped on the side.

Also built the Sig Fazer. That plane had a TT Pro 61 on the nose. Same problem.

Maybe the problem is that I live and fly at such high altitude. I'm having to use HUGE engines to compenstae for the altitude, and it makes the planes nose-heavy--so I put servos in the tail to balance.

I want to build an OMP plane, but I'm struggling with the idea of building another profile. I like the Edge 540--but I'll end up using a .65--.80 size engine to make it hover up here at this altitude. So, I suspect I'll end up in the same situation again. The plane will weigh 5 pounds and have servos and linkages hanging out all over the place.

I like the CMP 3D Giles because it has a full fuse.--and I can bury part of the servos inside to hide them. It weighs 5 pounds with the TH .75 engine and it hovers at 1/2 throttle. It's got lots of wing area and flies very light.

I can 3D it--so maybe I'm a better pilot than I realize.

I'm not saying that profiles don't fly well. They have great thrust/weight. And they have lots of wing and tail surface area for good control. I just hold the opinion that they don't look as good as a plane with a full fuse. Thats all.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

OK, now I understand. If the only profile experience I had was the Sig Fazer, Ultimate Bipe, and Lanier Pro Twister, I might not be too excited about profiles either. Try a profile from OMP, the Mojo or Burrito, or an EF Edge and get back to me. The three examples you listed are not exactly on the cutting edge.

While I don't agree with your opinion on the looks of profiles, I understand. I'm the same way about planes with cowls - can't stand them.

Eric
Old 07-24-2005, 06:14 PM
richohealey

where can i get plans for MOJO 40???
Old 07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
exeter_acres

Here is the page for the kit

http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojo/mojo.html

Might want to contact Swany about plans
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
richohealey

thanks dude. do you know if there is an australian distrbutor???
Old 07-24-2005, 09:27 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I don't have a Australian distributor... But I've shipped several planes down there... Shipping is between 20 - 30 USD..... Not to bad....

If that doesn't work for you, I can set you up with a short kit...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM
mgruenba

It would have to be a H9 Twist. It is an awesome 3D and fun-fly. It does everything. I am putting an OS 50 SX in mine. I am getting the Twist in a few months. I have flown my Dad's Twist with an OS 50 SX in. It does great 3D.

Hope this helps,
mgruenba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.