Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

You Guys Talked Me Into It

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

You Guys Talked Me Into It

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You Guys Talked Me Into It

Alright, after reading and posting in another thread about a good 40 size 3D plane--you guys have convinced me to build a profile plane.

I've built a few in the past--but recently stayed away from them--because I generally don't like the looks of the profiles.

But--you guys are right, and you can't beat a good profile for all out performance on a small engine.

So, the Morris Hobbies profiles seam to get pretty good press around here. What do you think about the 25 size Pen Knife? It is 36" span and 500 squares. Weight is 1.5--3 pounds.

I've got a few .40 size engines lying around. That should be about the right amount of power for my altitude and the size of the plane.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You Guys Talked Me Into It

Have you looked at the AccelHobby profiles, I dont have one but they are supposed to be absolutely awesome 3Ders. Not to mention how easy it looks to 3D em in the videos
Old 07-23-2005, 05:45 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Rcpilet,
Several or our club members are building the MOJO 40. Excellent kit and flying qualities. All the right qualities of light, strong and the best flying habits.
EXCAP232
Old 07-23-2005, 08:21 AM
rpmrpm
My Feedback: (1)

Check out Swanys 40size MOJO or 25size TACO they are the "new generation" of profiles. A pen Knife with a 40 will blow your wing loading and althought you will have the power to hover it will not fly into or out of 3d manuvers well because of the weight. If you want a small profile look into the Fat Free Taco with a Saito 40 4stroke running on 30%swinging a 12x4 prop.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:23 AM
gixxer01

Not to mention that Paul Swanny's kits have the glass tube down the length of the fuselage for extreme durability. One place that profile planes fail(besides when the pilot runs out there after dorking it and stomps on it for the video!)is at the wing TE intersection on the fuselage. With the glass tube, the fuse will never snap at the wing TE unless you step on it repeatedly.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:37 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Nothing wrong with the Pen Knife but if your going to go profile then do it right!!! All of the above mentioned planes are fine. If you must have something in the .25 size range then the Mini3D from Extreme flight is the best (If you can get one). If you cant I would say go with a .40 size there are a ton of profiles in that size range that rock!!! Maybe a plane from OMP is what you need.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 PM
YNOT

When it comes to the current generation of profile, you want a Swany bird.

When compared to the mass produced profile on the market, the Swany planes are the Ferrari's of the sky. Light and reactive.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: southern_touch9

Nothing wrong with the Pen Knife but if your going to go profile then do it right!!! All of the above mentioned planes are fine. If you must have something in the .25 size range then the Mini3D from Extreme flight is the best (If you can get one). If you cant I would say go with a .40 size there are a ton of profiles in that size range that rock!!! Maybe a plane from OMP is what you need.
I'd like an OMP Edge, but it's gonna take a really hot .60 or a TH.75 to hover 5 pounds at my altitude. I already have 2 of the TH .75 engines and they run like a raped ape. But one is mounted in my LT-40 and the other is in my 3D Giles. I wouldn't have a problem buying another one.

Do you think the weight of the TH .75 will ruin the loading on the OMP Edge? If I can keep it 5 pounds or less--I would think it would be fine.

I like the price of the Pen Knife. It's only $60. And I got a shoebox full of .40 engines. I got a bunch of Hitec HS-81MG and HS-225BB servos too. I also got a 555 RX that needs a home. Right now--the Pen looks pretty attractive because I got everything but the $60 plane.

I will do a search for the Mojo, Taco, EX Mini3D, and the Accell planes.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I am not really familiar with the Swany designed planes. I have seen them fly and looked at some planes and they seem AWESOME. I think they make one for like a .30 something sized engine which could translate to a .46 where you live. I would say that yes the OMP would accept the extra weight b/c I have seen some .40 sized ones with saito 1.00's and heavier .91 four strokes. Im not that sure about the altitiude thing b/c I fly in the Coastal region (2 hrs from the beach but you can still find sea shell fossils in the limestone beds) [:@] Make a trip down and I will let you fly my Accel Katana W/ saito .72 AUW 4lbs 2oz
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Rcpilet-------- I have the OMP 540 Edge profile with a Magnum XLS 52 on it and it is ballistic. The vertical is unlimited And the weight of this engine is not a problem. I am using an APC 12.25 X 3.75 . By the way I am about 1700 ft. I fly this plane more than any other I have owned, though it will fly much better than I will ever be capable of.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Rcpilot

I've made a decision. Well, actually, 2 decisions.

I'm buying a Pen Knife next week, and an OMP Edge 540 week after that[X(].

As I posted earlier, I've got everything I need for the Pen Knife. I can build that kit and have it flying in a week or two.[:-]

I gotta try the OMP plane. The way all you guys rave about it, I just can't walk away without trying one. Once in awhile, a good manufacturer comes along, and your just cheating yourself out of a bunch of fun if you don't try one of their planes.

I've got a TT Pro .40 for the Pen Knife. It's an Ebay engine that I bought with only a tank of fuel through it for $40. It runs great, but I've only had it on the test stand. I'm excited to get it bolted up to a plane and run it. I'll most likely get another TH .75 for the OMP Edge. I really like that engine. I run 5% nitro on the one I have in my LT-40 and it's a nice runner. The one in my CMP Giles is newer, and I broke it in a little differently than the first engine. This second engine usually turns close to 1000RPM more. Maybe I'll get lucky and the third engine will out-turn the second one by 1000RPM[&:]

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 02:50 AM
Spacey

Well I'll be! Really glad we got you convinced to give it another shot buddy! Curious what height above sea level are you flying at? I am flying at about 4000+feet above sea level. I have a OMP 47" Yak 54 with a OS .50 SX on it. A OMP 46" Katana P with a OS .46 FX and tower muffler. Both those planes have great power already and fly very light. Just curious why you want to go so big on the engine? I am sure the Edge can handle the extra wing loading just fine though.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Rcpilot

I used to fly in Denver at 6000' elevation and a 61FX will just barely hover 6 pounds at full throttle with a 13-4 prop. It really does take that much engine to do the job.

The CMP plane weighs right at 5 pounds the way I have it set up. Maybe an ounce or two less than 5 pounds, but lets call it 5. I can hover it in Denver just under 1/2 throttle.

I'm currently flying at 10,421' elevation or there is a club 50 miles from my house at about 8000' elevation. I can hover at home at almost full theottle, and at the club at about 5/8 throttle.

The TH .75 engine is as light as most 60 size engines, but loads more HP. I'm generally running a 13-5 Pro Zinger on the .75 engines with 5% fuel.

I really don't want to be hovering at full throttle. So, thats why I'm using such a big engine. I figure--why bother with a 60 size engine--when the TH .75 weighs almost the same and puts out more power?? It's also priced real nice.

I'm moving back down to sea level or close to it. I've been threatening to leave Colorado for a couple years--just putting it off. I grew up in Kansas City, Kansas and want to move back to Missouri. I'm looking at the Springfield area. The elevation is like 800-1000' above sea level and the fishin' is WAAAY better.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Spacey

Ooof yes that is high! Ok now I understand. I would then also go for the .75. Heck I would have made a plan to get my hands on a Saito .91 for the plane then

Let us know how it goes!