Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

first 3d plane

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

first 3d plane

Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 AM
kzimmerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first 3d plane

I'm Looking for a good first 3d plane. I have a supertigre .75 sitting around that I would like to use, although I wouldn't mind getting a different engine if necessary. What do you look for in 3d planes? Is it better to go with 2stroke or 4?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:53 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first 3d plane

U-Can-Do 60 size would be just about perfect.

I prefer 4 strokes in everything but that's just me. I look for low wing loading (light weight and lots of wing area) with the max size engine. A wing loading less than 20oz per square inches is ideal.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Like bubba said, 4 strokes are the way to go in a 3D plane. The powerband is wider and they will swing bigger, wider props which are better for 3D. You want torque at mid-range, not hp at high end.

When it comes to the plane, there are a number of them out there & it is really dependent on the type of flying you want to do. Tons of funflys out there like the UcanDo, 3D Mayhem or the twist, any number of profiles, even some of the sticks are pretty good 3Ders.

Next step up would be something like a Funtana or Showtime, any number of 90-1.20 size Yaks or Edges, Extras or Caps. They fly better then the funflys but are still excellent 3D machines. Take more work to learn 3D with too.

If you have money to buy "use 'em up & move on" planes, buy one of the first group. If you want to buy a plane that will allow you to grow into and that you won't grow out of any time soon, buy from the second group. It all depends on what you are REALLY looking for.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:28 AM
scolpit

Buy a profile, they are perfect to learn 3D. Check it out here: [link=http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com]OMP[/link]
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
kzimmerman

Well, I have a few .50 4s sitting around. A saito gk.50 and two os 52 surpasses. I was looking at the U can do 3d, but was unsure about the skill level required to get into this plane. I am getting back into the hobby after a hiatus, and am going to spend some time with my four star 40 and rascal 40 before i moved up to a 3d plane, so I might go with the second group and get a larger edge.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

I think you're going to need more power than that. Look into a profile like the EF Edge or the CG Extreme 330. I had the CG Extreme and it was good plane. I'm just not into the whole profile thing and now I live in a cramped apartment with a 28% Wild Hare Edge. I'm getting back into glow, but it's just going to be a 3D Mini Bipe with a Saito 100. You may look into one of those to. They can be left together or taken apart. A Supertigre 75 may be the ticket for the Mini Bipe.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: kzimmerman

I'm Looking for a good first 3d plane. I have a supertigre .75 sitting around that I would like to use, although I wouldn't mind getting a different engine if necessary. What do you look for in 3d planes? Is it better to go with 2stroke or 4?

Take a look at the Fusion 3D 90 from GCBM R/C. Your .75 two stroke would be great in this 5 pound model. [link=http://www.gcbmrc.com]www.gcbmrc.com [/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33360.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	373359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67487.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	373360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85756.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.6 KB