Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Motor for top cap

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Motor for top cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 07:25 PM
3Dfalcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor for top cap

I know what the manufacturer recomends but I want to know what the real flyers are using in there planes. Any input would help. Thank You
Old 11-28-2002, 07:28 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Easy.

Saito .72 or YS .63
Old 11-28-2002, 07:30 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

ervine 53, os 46fx or 50sx, tt46, any good 46 and up will do.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Pattern freak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the MVVS49(Green Head)with the full lenght tuned pipe,unlimited vertical power,with 10 precent fuel,i hand launch the plane and watch it disapear in the skies ,wile i`am doing rolls.This is the best engine for the Top Cap.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:48 PM
wgeffon

There are plenty of motors in the .40 sized range that will give unlimited vertical performance. Matter of fact, most motors on the market will when you figure that the Top Cap is only supposed to weight 4 lbs or a little more.

These planes are designed for Hoverbatics or 3D.
Key with 3D is to keep the wing loading and the total weight of the plane down.
If you have to add a tuned pipe or a tuned muffler to get the desired performance you are adding weight.

3D requires lots of air over the tail while the plane is flown in a stalled condition. 4 cycles have the advantage over two cycles because #1 they swing larger props and #2 they develop more power throughout their entire throttle range.
A 2 stroke has to be turning higher RPM's to develop the power needed for 3D.

This is not to say you cant 3D with a 2 cycle on a profile. You most certainly can but its much easier with a 4 cycle.

These planes are not supposed to be flown fast!
Old 11-28-2002, 09:18 PM
3Dfalcon

Thanks guys

Wayne,

I fly a 35% plane and am heavy into 3d. I am able to do almost all of the 3d tricks and thought it would be fun to try one of these profiles. I have never seen one of these fly but have heard they will do alot of the stuff that i am doing in the larger planes like harriers, t/rs, blenders and walls. Is this true? Looks like buy your picture you know what you are doing. I have an OS 70 for it . I also from using DA 100 twins would rather have the torque of the 4 stroke. Is the OS 70 ok? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:22 PM
robert

Yeah, I'd say that would pull it, or the Saito 72, or the YS 63. The YS is obviously the best! hehehe...
Old 11-28-2002, 09:38 PM
wgeffon

3DFalcon,

I also fly larger planes with gas for 3D ( H9 Cap ZDZ 80 and a 29% Edge before that )

The bigger planes are definately easier to 3D as you know.

I started flying profiles a few years ago and have had at least one ready to go at all times since then.
They do 3D well. Plus the fact that #1 ....no assembly at the field and #2... cheap to operate. Usually when we dork one, we just laugh about it.

You can do all the same maneuvers with the profiles. Walls, harriers, elevators, H.A. rolls, Hovering, TR's, waterfalls.... the list goes on and on. Look at it this way, your 35% is probably flying around with a wing loading of around 30 oz/sqft and it most likely feels like a kite in the air. Imagine a plane with a wing loading of around 16-18 oz/sqft.... TOO MUCH FUN!!

Get a Top Cap, a Sledge, or a Su-do-khoi. Put your .70 in it and go have a blast.
You'll see what I am talking about.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have a saito 72 for my Topcap,and an os 70 for my sig, you will have no problem ! like wayneo said