Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

extra 300L engine question?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

extra 300L engine question?

Old 11-29-2002, 08:59 AM
mndbndr3d
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extra 300L engine question?

Hi guys,

I need help! I just purchased a kit made by ohio rc, it is the extra 300L with 74inches wing span, 11lbs flying weight. The kit ask for a 1.50 to 1.80 4 stroke but I would like to try out Gas powered. Are gas engines too heavy for this plane or should I stay with 4 stroke glow engine? Has anyone flown this kit with gas engine? any comments and suggestion would be great.

Harold.

[email protected]
Old 11-29-2002, 12:36 PM
EXCAP232

Default Engine choice

In this size plane the glow engines work best. The plane is a little small for a gas engine. It can be done with a BME 44 cc (which would overpower this plane) however the performance would be better with one of the recommended 4 strokes or an OS 1.6 2S or a Moki. If you get another plane in the 82" + range then the gas becomes a really nice option which fly and present better.
EXCAP232
Old 11-29-2002, 10:30 PM
mndbndr3d

Default engine option

EXCAP232,

Thanks for your advice. I figured that It would probably impossible to go the gas route, since it's too heavy. I think I'll settle with a saito 180 for now since I'm starting out with big scale aerobatic. this would probably good for sportman level IMAC.

Harol.d
Old 11-29-2002, 10:35 PM
EXCAP232

Default Re: engine option

Originally posted by mndbndr3d
EXCAP232,

Thanks for your advice. I figured that It would probably impossible to go the gas route, since it's too heavy. I think I'll settle with a saito 180 for now since I'm starting out with big scale aerobatic. this would probably good for sportman level IMAC.

Harol.d
Glad to help. Sent a PM. The Saito should be a really good combination for that plane.
EXCAP232
Old 12-01-2002, 12:34 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want it to really perform don't use a gasser. That 11lbs might turn into 13lbs with a gasser and that just increases the wing loading and decreases it's performance.

I'm not saying you can't put a gasser on it but if you do I don't think you'll be as happy as you might be with a large glow engine. Hell an OS160 would over power the hell out of it and still be in the 11lbs range.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:37 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, can you post some pictures of the kit? I am going to build the 24% CA Extra 300L soon and it too has 74" wing. Some have told me the two kits are the same but I don't believe it.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:05 AM
mndbndr3d

WreckRman,

I saw some pictures of the CA model in a thread here on rcuniverse. The only difference that I see so far is the wings. The CA model has a foam core wing while the Ohio rc is a built up wings. I'll post some pictures once I get the kit, The person who I bought it from is still waiting for UPS to open due to the holiday. hopefully I get it before the weekend .

Harold.