Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

GOT MY SAITO!! it's so cool

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

GOT MY SAITO!! it's so cool

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
richohealey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOT MY SAITO!! it's so cool

I finally got my saito 82 this weekend, it's se purty. i was just wondering if it matters how it's set up for running it in. will side/inverted be ok? i have reservations about a new 4 stroke inverted, but wasn't sure about side mounting? also i sould use a 13x 6 for break in?

thanks in advance

Richo
Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Edge 540

Default RE: GOT MY SAITO!! it's so cool

Comes packed with all the style of a new Rolex watch or any other fine piece of jewelry. Mirror finish on valve covers, perfect machine work, nice stuff! It's worth buying a new instead of used, just so you can have the pleasure of opening it up for the first time! Almost hated to run mine....I said ALMOST!!!! It's a great engine. I broke mine in on a 13x6
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
richohealey

couldn't agree more.... it's sitting on a shelf in the loungeroom at the moment so i can look at it while i play guitar. how much should i run it on the bench before flying it?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

13x6 is a little too small and will let the engine rev to over 11,000 rpm which is too high IMHO. Do yourself and the engine a favor and go by the book and keep it under 4,000 rpm and rich for the first 10-12 minutes. I just broke-in my third 82 last week and it is now mounted inverted and runs great after about 4 ten ounce tanks of fuel with a 2,000-2,100 rpm idle. I have 7 inverted Saitos in use right now and the only thing special I do is to use an OS F 4-stroke plug. On board glow is not needed if the engine is tuned properly, again IMHO.
Fred
Old 05-14-2006, 09:19 PM
richohealey

great that's what i needed to know.... will the 13 x 6 really be that small...it's in the range suggested by the amnual.... i will be using 10% fuel, do you use higher?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

If you want some real performance go for 30%. Its all I have used in all my Saitos. Serious performance much better idle. Get the Curtis Youngblood Mix if you can.

I break mine in with 15% and usually just run two tanks on the ground. Then its all prop hanging from there.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
richohealey

would love to fly 30% but gawd is it expensive. i'm sure i will be happy with 10%, and willk bolt a bigger engine on if i'm not. on my income i simply can't afford to fly as much as i like to on 30%
Old 05-14-2006, 09:54 PM
airborneSGT

The solution is simple! Go regular gas I only have one glow motor (Saito 180) and the rest regular gas. Gas motors also get much longer flight times on a tank. I got like 30mins one tank in my 35% plane and would get an easy 20 mins in the 28% planes.

My first venture into gas was a 1/4scale Edge 540 with a Roto 25. Very fun although not unlimited 3D. 28% is prolly the smallest gas size you want to 3D. 33% and up gets much easier but costs go up.

Figure on a limited budget you could get a nice gas plane going for about $1200-$1500 at most. You find them used RTF in the states for $1000 all the time with nice gas engines and everything ready to go. You figure in a smaller plane you can easily tie up $500. So for the price of a couple small planes you can get a larger plane that flies much better and saves you on glow fuel cost.

Or just get foamies...lol.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
richohealey

yeah i know bud.. that's the next step, but i'm 16 and unemployed.. so it's not easy. the next plane will be the precision aerobatics Edge 540t with a 3w 50..... but not for a little while. thanks for the help with the motor
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 AM
airborneSGT

Man I feel your pain. When I was 16 my hobby was robots and computers (computers still very much a hobby). Both really expensive and hard enough to pay for with my parents help. I had to work my rear end off just to make enough to pay my car insurance which was insane in the US. Not to mention the conflicting interests of g/f and at the time what I thought was a lot for a phone bill.

My first venture into RC was cars which are really not much cheaper than planes.

If you run 10% just make sure the oil content is ok. Saito has a recommended nitro I think of like 15% and oil content of like 20%. Keep it up and you might be the next Somenzini! I am noticing the younger generation is really starting to kick butt in this hobby.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:22 AM
richohealey

ha ha thanks. yes, i know to run lots of synthetic oil. not trying to blow my own trumpet but i am one of the better flyers at my club, especially for my experience <2 years. thanks for all of your advice!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 AM
3D er

Hi,

Would the Saito 82 be enough to power the Weston UK Hype 3D (2kg total ) , im looking for enough power to prop hang and do 3D with it. What prop would you recommend somthing like a apc 14x4w? Do you think it would be better than an 0S 50 and pipe.

Cheers

Robert
Old 05-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Edge 540

I ment to say 14x6. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28604.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	462088