Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

G-62 for which plane?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

G-62 for which plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-62 for which plane?

I have a G-62 laying around aside from biplanes(pitts ect) What
3-d planes would be a good match for this engine?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:01 PM
YNOT

Default RE: G-62 for which plane?

Heavy, low torque, bad transition motor, makes it hard to find a 3D plane for it.

The Golden Eagle plane may be your best bet for hovering and slow flight.

Drop that G62 in plane to do SA and pattern type flying, I have yet to see any plane do serious 3D with a G62.

As much as a DA 50 is a 3D motor, the G62 is a warbird motor.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Doolittleraider

Golden eagle plane? Which arf is that. You are right by the way thats all I usally
fly is warbirds.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:22 PM
AeroDave

I completely agree with Tony in that the G62 is just too heavy for this application. I have one I use in an extra for precision and the occasional TR, but its just too heavy. You can convert it to electronic ignition and save a ound while smoothing out the idle. In that way many of the Wild hare airplanes fit the bill pretty well. I will say this, my G62 runs great, is a stump puller and has very good transition. Its still not a 3D motor

Dave
Old 05-27-2006, 09:45 PM
YNOT

I can't find the airplane, I know it's out there. It is a BIG profile, kinda. Made for 50cc motors. It's orange. I am sure a link will pop up soon.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

YNOT...

Chip Hyde makes a50CC profile. Maybe that's the one you're thinking about. Looks pretty neat.

Thanks
Barry

http://www.chiphyde.com/html/aircraft/vision3d.html
Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at this video and read the thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4258648/tm.htm

Let's see:
Rolling Harrier, Elevator, Torque Roll, Hover, High Alpha Knife Edge, Pop Ups, -----------last time I checked, those were all 3D maneuvers, and this guys does all of them with a STOCK G-62 on a WH plane.

I'm using a G-62 in a Kangke Laser (87" ) , a BME Edge 540 (85" ), AND a World Models Extra 300S (80" ).

I fly in Colorado at 5000' elevation. The engines turn a 22-10 prop at 7200--7500RPM depending on which brand of prop you use.

EVERY ONE of these planes will 3D WAAAAAAY more than most flyers are even capable of. I not very good at 3D, but I've let a few really good pilots fly my planes, and they had nothing but good things to say. These were DA and ZDZ pilots too. They were impressed with the power of the G-62. These were guys that were always talking the BS about the Zenoah engines too. Always slamming me for my "overweight boat anchors". They don't say anything now. They've flown the planes, and now they realize that the engines perform just fine.

YES, a DA is a little lighter. But, it won't swing the same prop as a G-62. Those 12 extra CC in displacement costs you a little bit in extra weight, but it spins quite a lot more prop than the DA 50. You don't think 12cc is free--do you?

If you've already got the motor, then buy the plane that you like and do it. Put pics up here to prove these guys wrong.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Doolittleraider

RCPILET,
You are the man. Thanks for the input! I am leaning on the world
models extra. Its refreshing to read that someone uses
that engine aside for just warbirds. An all the forementioned
"smack" talk about G-62 v. ZDZ, DA ect has made up
all too many posts on rcu. Long live the G-62.
Thanks again for your insight
Peter
Old 05-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a Kangke Laser 2000 with a G-62.

We've beat this video to death about weather it was smart or dumb. Thats not the point right now. The point is that this plane has a G-62 on it, and the plane can hover and pull out is ballistic. Look at the video and watch how much power that G-62 has on this airframe. It just YANKS that plane out of a hover. I don't see any throttle delay, like the DA guys are always claiming. I don't see anything wrong with the engine performance at all.

Now look at the landing. Does that look like a plane with too high wing loading to you? Whats that, a 50' landing on a 60' runway? That plane is definetly not overloaded with the G-62 on the nose.

http://media.putfile.com/hoverpool

It's not only POSSIBLE to do 3D with a G-62--it actually works pretty darn well. Don't listen to the BS that the DA and ZDZ guys are spewing. They haven't ever had a G-62, so they don't know how much power they are capable of. They all think their DA50 is the best thing since sliced bread, and they act like the G-62 is an overweright pig. Thats simply not true. While the DA50 might be an excellent motor, it's just ignorant and uninformed to claim that the G-62 will not 3D a 27%--30% bird.

I've just given you 2 really good examples of the power that a G-62 has. The first video of NOGYRO shows that the engine can be used on a WildHare 84" airframe and perform good 3D with grace. It's obvious to me that Franks plane is not overloaded, and it flies very well. The plane will pop up into a hover without snapping. It does nice rolling harriers. It does elevators without dropping a wing. It's got plenty of power to hover and pull out well. It flies some of the IMAC maneuvers very well. Just a smooth airplane, as it was meant to be. And the engine cannot be discounted as being too heavy, or low on power. It works fine.

The second video is a testament to the good power that the engine outs out. While Yuri doesn't do any real 3D in this video, it does show very well IMO, that the G-62 has plenty of power for airframes this size.