Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Sig SE servo placement and Rudder enlargement

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig SE servo placement and Rudder enlargement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig SE servo placement and Rudder enlargement

I performed a search but I still have a few questions before I build my Sig SE.

First, is it beneficial to put the elevator and rudder servos in the tail? Does it add or subtract weight? What is the best way to do this? Does exhaust oil hurt the servos?

Second, what is the best way to enlarge the rudder? Do I extend it back an inch or so, or extend it up about 2" and counterbalance it or a little of both? If it is extended up, does that create some unwanted roll tendency since the force of the rudder will be farther above the axis of the fuselage?

I thank you for your input in advance!

Thanks,
Herb
Old 12-23-2002, 03:42 AM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

I moded a se and heres what i did.

I add 1.5 inchs to the back of the rudder. It flew the same but with a little more authority. I mounted the elevator servo in the tail for two resons. One.....I needed to get the cg back some more and it worked. Two... I got a better shot at the linkage. The stock linkage was binding a little and not giving full throw.

After that i could do waterfalls and blenders. Still not the best 3D plane out there but it got a lot better and is a good way to start learning.

When youve learned the 3D stuff on this then you can go to a profile and tear it up.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:46 AM
da king

Oh, btw, click on the www on the bottom of my post to see what the next level is in the tail of the se. After i got the profile i tore the se apart and put the profile tail on it. All most done.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:08 PM
mgmoore7

I added 1 inch to the rudder by gluing a 1" piece of balsa to the front of the rudder.

I put the rudder servo (high torque) in the back on the left side. Some put it on the bottom and do a pull-pull setup which I now think would be better than what I have. I don't think I would put both servos in the back. That would put the CG too far back to get it to balance without adding lead. Right now I have a Saito .72 and the battery under the tank and it balances at 4.25" which is still a little tail heavy for me right now. Once fuel is added it is just about right with 2/3 tank but when the tank is empty, it gets a little squirly.

Mounting the servo on the outside is not a problem. I have done it on several planes without any problems. I would not mount one where alot of oil residue is going to land though.

I one think that I would suggest is that you make sure you are going to get alot of throw on your elevator and/or modify it to have counterbalances.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:28 PM
smokingcrater

It probably depends on what engine you are using. If you are putting something heavy up front, go ahead and mount at least one servo in back. If you have a engine closer to the recommended size (Irvine .53 in my case), the plane balances perfectly with the servos in the stock locations, putting them in back would just cause you to add weight to the front.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I recommend you add counterbalances on the rudder and elevator instead of enlarging the surfaces... it works a lot better...

www.shortmanca.tripod.com go there to see pics of my sig se. it a great plane and youll like it a lot

the oil didnt affect my servos in the tail so i wouldnt worry
Old 12-23-2002, 05:50 PM
Herb-RCU

Shortman,

The link that you put up didn't work.

Thanks, all, for your input.

Herb
Old 12-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)