Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Side Force Generators

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Side Force Generators

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:31 PM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Force Generators

I was at a fun fly this weekend and striped a servo. I was flying a dazzler and she had a little hard landing. The covering is getting old so the new ding is a good excuse to recover. I have been thinking, and would like to make her more of a 3der. I am going to add about an 1" on tail control.

I was thinking of adding some Side Force Generators for more rudder. I must admit I really do not know much about the Side Force Generators. I was thinking of adding them to the tips or about half way on the wing sides or both. I have only been into 3d of a couple of years and am still learning. do you think the Side Force Generators will help with the lack of tail control.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 05:23 PM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Side Force Generators

Freebird: I am new to 3D and cannot help but could you explain what side force generators are? Is this something you build onto the plane or is it something you purchase? Thanks.

Ron
Old 06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Hey freebird1... I have a dazzler that was giving to me by my instructor......
ready to fly, just add my crystal.... I flew it for about 3 months...
She is still in flying condition, but she hangs in my garage mostly..
The dazzler rolls pretty good, does the basic aero. OK.... But, she is not really
a 3D type plane IMO..... I think increasing the control surfaces(rud, Elev,) will
help her do better in some 3D.... But IMO I'm not sure how much that would be...
SFG...... Who know's..... Try it after trying the above first... If I were to do it, I
would make it as easy as possible, so that would be on the wing tips... JMO>>>

Have fun, and always do wjat works for you, keeping in mind safety:-)))
Old 06-19-2006, 05:56 PM
theradioflyer

Hey Freebird1, I have an Uproar, an ugly Dazzler, and have modded it to 3D. They are not the best planes to do 3D with, though. Bad knife edge, Dazzle may do it better with the turttle deck, and I could not do rolling hariers with it. I could hover like no tomorrow after I made the mods and moved the CG back. Also, blenders were bad bad you can get into a sweet inverted flat spin, more of a pinwheel right around the motor and flat, with the winglets that I installed. This is my third Uproar and second with winglets, SFG I believe are more inboard on the wing. It's not as easy to do but it might be worth a try.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
theradioflyer

Here is a pic of my uproar.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95534.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	479930  
Old 06-19-2006, 06:50 PM
raideron

U're uproar looks Kewl theradioflyer !!!!!!!!!!!!! Like the number on it!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
freebird1

I think I am going to add the Generators and see what she does. I had an uproar that I added a turtal deck and add more control and it help her quite a bit. I also think I am going to extend the turtal deck on my dazzler all the way to the front. I have 2 of these dazzler one I like to leave the way it is because I spent alot of time on the covering and mods. here is a photo of my dazzler and uproar.

Name:	Fd90631.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	480230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88284.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	480231  
Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM
raideron

freebird1.... very nice job on your covering!!, Your mods should help the Dazzler
Ditto on the 3
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM
theradioflyer

Nice Planes Love the Earnhardt Dazzler, That is one bad ***** looking ship[8D]
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
AeroDave

Nice planes! Side for generators can be placed anywhere. Read Don Lowe's article in MA. He has some out on the tips of his H9 Extra.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Flylow

Here is my Something Extra with my version of SFG's. Lot's more rudder authority after adding them. http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...61/Xs59626.jpg
Old 06-20-2006, 10:55 PM
freebird1

Thanks for the comments on the dazzler. I think the SFG will be worth the effort. How about slow flight like hovers. I am having trouble holding the hover with my dazzler. About 30 seconds it just falls out. I love my Earnhart dazzler. 5 feet she will go stright up for ever with a OS 32 SX and mac tune. Looks and sounds mean as He!!. I added a somewhat different El. I may add the SFG to it as well to make it even more intemadating.

Name:	Ki19146.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	480551  
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to jump in...couldn't hold it in any longer.

For several years, Nat Penton has been flying his own design Express on the precison aerobatics circuit.......his design incorporates flow staightening devices which of course add lateral stability and lifting area in knife edge flight. What's also important to note is the location of these flow straightening devices..their mean aerodynamic center is in line with that of the wing's mean aerodynamic center. Located along the centerline of the fuse.....not out away from the fuse, their mass and lifting effect is improved. Another extremely important benefit of the location and layout of this design is the fact that this plane flys with 0° right thrust and 0° downthrust.

His simple, light building techniques yield a very, very light, competitive, 78" long airplane that weighs 7lbs. 4oz. ready to fly! The original powered with an OS91fx, a new version powered with a YS110, and now an electric version flying with a Plettenburg outrunner (insane quiet power) are amazing to watch. Troy Newman borrowed Mr. Penton's electric version and took 1st place in FAI at a pattern contest in Houston, TX. The YS110 version was present as well. What happened after the contest was over really showed the capabilities of the design. Screwing around as it could be called, the two Express' planes performed amazingly tight, smooth, and precise knife edge square loops. In a stiff headwind after the contest on Sunday, one of the Express' held itself stationary over the runway in Knife Edge...then, the young, gifted pilot (Brett Wickizer) performed a positive snap back to it stationary position...then a negative snap...then a positive, negative, positive..you get the idea.

I have personally flown the YS powered version and have buried the rudder in a power off dive and the plane simply drives through a tight lateral curve. The wing design and tail arrangement result in ZERO coupling in yaw (flat turns like a 40% edge!) and zero mixes in knife edge flight.

There was a discussion about this plane some time ago here on rcu...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...tm.htm#3328183

by the way...not try to bash anyone else's SFG's, which I believe are very cool when added to some of the planes shown here in this thread...just over-excited after getting to fly the express...

Name:	Fd92516.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	480567  
Old 06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
freebird1

I agree with the logic you are stateing. I would be the first to admit I know very little about the SFG. Thus the reason for the post. Thank you for the reply. I learn something. I have a 1/4 Balsa Nova and it will knife with easy and has really good control. I look at the fuse and it is a sim thought to the one you have in your post. I think I am going to add the SFG around an 1" and mod a balsa fuse around 1" above the turttle deck all the way to the front to the fire wall.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
theradioflyer

That Express is great. I'm a true inventor/engineer at heart that ended up as a drywaller[:@] As long as it performs the way you want it doesn't matter what it looks like. The sky's the limit when it comes to modifying your planes