Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Cap/Yak/Edge/Kat

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Cap/Yak/Edge/Kat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cap/Yak/Edge/Kat

I am an aspiring 3D pilot. For background I will say that I started with a Nexstar and got pretty good with it. I then started flying around with a Goldberg Cub (not clipped) and a Great Planes Dazzler 40 with an OS 50sx and a 11x4 prop. Found I could hover the Dazzler for a little bit but the C/G is to far forward for any real 3D stuff. I will experiment with CG in the near future. I am also Flying a low wing SPAD to get some practice at landing at faster speeds (my weak area). I also have a WM Utimate 40 that I have yet to fly until I am comfortable flying all the way to the ground. Well My question is what is the "plane of choice" for 3D? Good points/Bad points? I know there are others besides what I have listed in the subject line so feel free to expand. I am leaning towards the OMP profile Katana V2. here: http://ohiomodelplanes.com/62katanaarf/ I have a Saito 91 that is begging to pull some High Alfa maneuvers.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Default RE: Cap/Yak/Edge/Kat

Funtana .40 + Saito .91 =
Old 06-22-2006, 09:29 AM
striderjg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Katana's with saitos are EXTREMLY popular at my club for 3ding. Of course, just about everyone got them off ebay for 30 something bucks + 30 shipping. Lol. But on the weekends it's funny. Everywhere you look you'll see a katana.
-John
Old 06-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Mr67Stang

How about some links to the plane? So I can research it a little.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Mr67Stang

I am also looking at this used bird here on RCU classifieds due to the fact the guy is 41 miles from my Zip. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=201943
Only problem is it's a no name brand with a very cheap 2 stroke. Plane is $200 new and engine is $160 new.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
wings19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The larger the plane you go with I think it is easier to 3D with. Smaller planes aren't as stable and things happen faster.

I see that you said CAP in the title... I have the GP Matt Chapman CAP 580 .40 size and it isn't a good 3D plane, its small and the control surfaces aren't large enough although I can harrier and hover with it, it's difficult.