Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
zxxflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

EDIT:

oops...it posted twice....

Please see the previous page for the latest update on how it runs with the pump and miracle plug
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
TruBlu02

James,
Good to hear you got it almost sorted out. At Least you can take the plane out for some hot laps. I have never had any idle problems with my 82. I have my tank mounted right behind the firewall and have great fuel draw. I compensated for the nose weight by putting the battery in the back of the tail and running the graphtech gear. Let us know when you finally get that thing in the air!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
zxxflyer

Will do....

Conley is sending me a replacement spring for the pump...FREE. It will be here in a day or two.
I'm certain that this motor will FINALLY be running "right" by this weekend.. That spring should get the pump to operate more consistent on the low end.
Now I just need the weather to cooperate for the weekend. [8D]
It looks like I will end up doing the maiden flight with the cowling off..[] I wanted the maiden to look all pretty on film..It just won't be the same hovering it without the cowling.

Have you gotten any more flights in with your Reactor?? It was looking GOOD on those last videos!!

Anyone flying off of grass have the main gear sweeping backwards like the manual shows??? I have mine swept forward right now, but want to turn them around to get some weight off the nose... I stuffed some LARGE diameter foam wheels in the wheelpants, since I fly off deep grass.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I used to have the gear swept back but it didn't work for me. I didn't like it forward. Now it's U Can Do gear that is attached to the bottom with nylon bolts so they can break off.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:51 PM
TruBlu02

Yeah James I have got a few more flights on the Reactor. Can't ever seem to remember to get the video Camera out though! [:@] Lately I have spent most of my time flying my Extreme Flight Chinn Yak. It has been one hell of a challenge to master that thing.

ORIGINAL: rclement

I used to have the gear swept back but it didn't work for me. I didn't like it forward. Now it's U Can Do gear that is attached to the bottom with nylon bolts so they can break off.

How did you mount the gear? I think I saw some pics of your plane earlier in the thread but I never saw how you mounted. I have a set of UCD gear sitting here. Did you have to mount them over the radio compartment hatch? I was just curious as I have had nothing but problems with the gear on this plane.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
zxxflyer

well.....
I took it to the airport(saturday) since I'm finally confident in the motor tuning, but it failed the range check....

Apparently I lost my clean signal when I moved the battery into the tail. [:@][:'(][&o]

So, I am biting the bullet and buying a 2.4 system: Futaba 7C FASST
$200 shipped for the transmitter and one receiver... should be here by the weekend if I'm real lucky...doubt it.

I am determined to fly this plane yet!!!!! It is going the be the most expensive "40" sized plane I have ever owned!

Here are some pics of it at the field with the Saito installed and looking good.... and a pic of my hand built Telemaster 40

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94112.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1184161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23052.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1184162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44223.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1184163  
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

You'll like the 7C; I have one and really like it. I lost signal on an old Futaba gold 7ch FM, causing my first Reactor crash. I went to the 7c and never looked back.
Unfortunately, I can feel your pain on the cost, but mine's mostly due to my own stupidity. I wrecked my Reactor for the third time recently; my Saito .82 had been running pretty good, but I messed with the needles and it quit about 200' after takeoff. As easy as this bird is to fly, and despite the fact that I'd landed it several times deadstick before(due to my engine tuning stupidity), I tried to stretch my glide and instead dumbthumbed it into a steep dive(shoulda turned off the high rates, I guess). This time, engine mount broke and cowl broke, and it broke my new carbon wing tube and the repaired wing roots from my second crash. However, rest of fuse only required minor repair, so I ordered a new set of wings, cowl, and motor mount, and should have it back together by the end of this week. I guess I really like this plane!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
zxxflyer

dang man... sorry to hear about your third crash... That's what I am trying to avoid....so the plane has been a shelf queen for almost a year instead.
But the last several months have been my fault.....noob at tuning a 4-stroke....needed a fuel pump....needed a different glow plug tpe.....different fuel...
I still love working on all my planes and helis...it never gets old... but sometimes you just wanna go FLY the thing instead of working on it.

And I do prefer to switch to low rate on the elevator wehn coming in for a dead stick.
Where is your C.G. set at? are you further back than 5"
Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM
wyo69cowboy

My cg is right at the recommended at this point; I'll try moving it back later when I'm sure I have the engine running well[]. I have my throws all set at the 3d rates in the manual, with about 50% expo on all of them. I usually just leave the rudder and elevator on high rates, and switch the ailerons to low for general flying and 3d for 3d. I just panicked a little on this last crash, and it cost me! Oh well, got the new wings hinged last night and aileron servos mounted, the fuse is repaired (just cracked the ply around the wingtube; epoxied in some new ply around the wingtube). Just need to drill and tap the new motor mount and finish the new cowl and it'll be in the air again!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
zxxflyer

The 7C showed up yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

I have the Reactor programmed in and ready to go....I can't believe how FAST the controls are...I'm still running the 6V Rx pack, but don't have and digital/special servos...The controls are LIGHTNING FASST....pun intended. And oh sooo smooth and precise....WAY different than a FM connection....I'm in love....
The receiver is soooooo tiny. I shaved just over an ounce off the total weight.

Now to go FLY the heck out of this plane. [>:]

Too bad it's supposed to rain for the next 4 days....o well...I will at least "range check" it for hopefully the last time ever. And confirm the engine/pump tuning is where I like.

I will post videos of it's maiden as soon as it happens!

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
TruBlu02

I converted my Reactor over to a 7C system as well. I never could get rid of the interferance issues no matter how hard I tried. I got close when I ran the antenna out of the fuse but it was still never right. After my last incedent with interferance I hung up the Reactor Till I could scratch together some money for a 7C. Did some eBay selling and hit the order button! I am hooked on the 2.4g stuff now. I cannot believe how much more responsive the plane is. I have two of my planes on the 7C now and I will be converteing all six of them in due time. Futaba is releasing a small 4 channel 2.4g receiver soon that will sell for $50 whcih is perfect for most of my planes. Good luck on the maiden James!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM
kochj

Hey all....

I have been running into a wall with my setup.... more like my engine is....

I had recoved my plane...and after moving the engine forward (the addendom measurement)
my engine ran great on the ground but as soon as you pick the plane up and hold it nose high,
it goes majorly lean.!!!... even if adjusted rich when horizontal.....
If I were to have ran it like it was, I would have had the engine quit whilt doing a hover (do to the idle and high needle going
lean and loosing power and then stopping running)

I tried everything.... Perry pump (blue one) and even used a bypass lead so that the needles would have more range....

Again, everything ran great untill nose high, and STOP>....

I tried everything except repace the tube diameter to larger one....
I even paced the lunk in my fuel can (when having the perry pump)
and it still would stop...

It is a supertigre .51 with standard pipe and my tuned pipes.....
I am going to either:
Install my Magnum .91 4-stroke or ST G-90.. Or just wait for this engine ot get back from Hobbico

Engine is pretty much brand new..... 6-tanks of fuel..... ( with new ring and piston/cyl) pulled off a
defunked .51
This engine never seemed to do this in my .46 mustang on pipe?? Perhaps it did and I didn't notice it??

any way.....This plane is sidelined and I am off to bigger ones......

It is this pain in the butt stuff that keeps me wanting to have ANY glow planes and ALL GAS ones......

Perhaps it is due to the G-.51 being a cheap engine/?? I don't remember this on my Os 1.20 AX...??
I know they going slightly lean when nose hight, but this was wayyyy over the norm..

Justin...
Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 PM
wyo69cowboy

boy, the more I mess with my glow engines lately, the less I seem to know. Deadsticked both my Reactor today and my Decathlon. Had spent 30 minutes tuning on each recently and thought I had them set well, then get up and ...silence. Reactor landed good on that one; Decathlon bent gear but it was okay. It seems however, I'm jinxed with my Reactor. Re-set the needles, took off and was flying around nicely, then loss of control. Death spiral with no control, ailerons pegged over. Now my fuse is trashed, but my new wings are completly okay! Geez, I'm gettin kinda tired of this. Well, I guess after looking it over, one more new fuse and cowl from Tower will do the trick. I'm keeping the sales level up on spare parts for this plane! Only thing I can figure is low voltage on my tx; I'm using a lipo battery and it was down to 11 volts, which should have been good, but that's the only thing I can figure. Checked receiver pack voltage and even did a range check after the wreck, and it all seemed fine. [:@]
Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
TruBlu02

Sorry to hear about your bad luck guys. I wish I had some helpful advice for you guys for tuning but it is hard to diagnose problem without being there to help. One thing I alwasy do with a stubborn glow engine is change the plug first. Then go through all the fuel lines to make sure there is no holes in the lines. After that it takes alot of patience. I would also recomend making a post in the glow engine forum. There is alot of extremly knowledgable people there that have helped me out in the past. Good luck guys!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 AM
kochj

wyo69cowboy,
Will it make you feel anybetter, to know that on my 5th flight with my reactor, I lost the orientation in the falling sun, and placed in the trees??
Very minor damage to wings and gear...

I will make the comment that in the recent hx of my planes, they have ALL been hexed or something!....
I spent a totall or 8-12 hours of time going threw every possible thing with that engine.....There was only one thing that wasn't covered and that was the fuel line diameter....
But then, my .91 4-stroke runs just fine on the same diameter fuel tubing....go figure.....

I appreciate the offer and advice, but I have learned in the past, that if you spend time on a plane that occupies a weekend, and you are still u/a
to figure it out...(and you have like 10-other planes and engines that could be built instead) it is time to move on to one of the others and have fun flying....

I really wanted to fly this plane as a practice, fun quick throw-around.... but I have to move on...

Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
TruBlu02

kochj,
Sorry to hear that man. THis really is a fun plane. Other than the landing gear problems I have had this has been one of the most fun planes I have ever owned. Hopefully after you let it sit for awhile you can come back to it with a new determination. In the mean time I don't blame you. I enjoy flying more than building so I would probably do the same thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
DustinB

Hey guys, just got me a new reactor to replace my big stik that the wing came off on. Almost got it put together, done just about everything people have done on this thread. Reversed landing gear, ideas for cutting the cowl, etc..

Anyone know what size tank comes with this thing? Anyone running a saito 82 and the factory tank, what kind of flight times are you getting?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

kochj,
Sorry to hear that man. THis really is a fun plane. Other than the landing gear problems I have had this has been one of the most fun planes I have ever owned. Hopefully after you let it sit for awhile you can come back to it with a new determination. In the mean time I don't blame you. I enjoy flying more than building so I would probably do the same thing.
Did you have to say that??? I was a little upset at the engine deal, and didn't wnat to change it out for a 4-stroke (made a nice pipe tunnel)
I like 2-strokes for pattern and 4-strokes for 3-D flying....

I have a .91 4-stroke that could go into this one....Should I be concerned about runnig it inverted???????????????

I took care of the landing gear issue (allways bent in grass) by making my own out of fiberglass....(I placed them atop the old stock pair)

I had taken some time recovering this one, so it would be a shame to get rid of it..... BUt then I could pick up the bigger one!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93842.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1191794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32209.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1191795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69328.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1191796  
Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
wyo69cowboy

Dustin, I think it's 270cc, or about 10 oz. I get 10-12 minutes with my Saito .82, depending on throttle management.

Justin, I used your pipe idea for my OS 50 originally, and thought it turned out great. I just didn't have quite enough power at my elevation (5100') with that setup. I love the Saito .82 in this thing, and that's why I keep rebuilding it, even though I've done so many bonehead moves with it. FYI, the Saito setup is about 2-3 oz lighter than the 2 stroke w/pipe! My current setup with the Saito and carbon gear/tube, is 5lb 6oz; I was 5lb 10oz with the 2 stroke and standard gear/tube. Ordered another fuse and cowl today from Tower; inspected my wings last nite, and with the exception of one cracked root mounting tab and a cracked spar tube (glued it; no other apparent damage inside wing) they are ok, so I'll be back in the air shortly. I think you'd really like the .91 in this plane; couple other guys on this thread sure seem to, and it would only be a couple ounces heavier...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
kochj

I think you are right......
DOes anyone know what a great prop size is for a Magnum .91 4-stroke..... (os clone.....I hate saying that)
I have a OS 1.60 gemini twin.... and the Magnum/ASP 1.60 is a EXACT COPY!!.... You could probly interchange parts!!!
Except the tolerences may be better in the os....
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
zxxflyer

anything 15" will run great.... I will do most of my flying(including the maiden) with the APC 15x4 wide
I carry a 15x5 and 15x6 Pro Zinger in my field box in case I want to try something that will put more air flow over the tail surfaces....
The 15x4W sure does pull like crazy on the ground!!!

And if you run the motor inverted I would recommend a Fox Miracle Plug....don't ask how I know...[X(]
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
DustinB

How did you guys end up mounting your engines? I'm starting to mount mine but I'm wondering about the angle as far as to the fuse goes.

It looks like the firewall is not square with the fuse. Is there right thrust in there on purpose or something? Should I mount the engine square to the firewall or to the fuse?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: zxxflyer

anything 15" will run great....
And if you run the motor inverted I would recommend a Fox Miracle Plug....don't ask how I know...[X(]
I have one mounted inverted on my Gp cub on floats.... and it is very nice to have the extra zing when need be.....
But like you said, it has difficulty idling when like this.....I really don't trust any of my 4-stroke engins when inverted w/o a on-board glow ignitor.....
That is because experience has always shown me that the engine will quit at the worste possible moment, just when you need it to run the most!....

I actually have had great luck with running my ST G-.51 inverted w/o help on tower plug....
Which doesn't make any sence, being a 4-stroke should be able to idle better w/o help than a 2-stroke
because the raw fuel doesn't shoot directly at the glow plug, like on the 2-strokes......

On a side note...... I had mounted my G-51 on a test stand using totally different fuel tank and lines (worked just fine w/my os twin)
and the moment I tipped the engine pointed up, it did the exact same thing.....QUIT!!! Ran out of fuel in line... not the tank....

I am for sure sending the engine in to Hobbico ..... It wouldn't hurt.... I will let you know what happens......................................
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
.................................................. .................................................. ...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
kochj

Well under my better judgement, I am going to place the Magnum .91 4-stroke in the reactor INVERTED!!!!!

I will have onbaord glow that works works well.... Forgot the name of it though.....
I wll have to then fill in the nasty hole in the side of the cowl....Yippee.... mORE WORK@!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: DustinB

How did you guys end up mounting your engines? I'm starting to mount mine but I'm wondering about the angle as far as to the fuse goes.

It looks like the firewall is not square with the fuse. Is there right thrust in there on purpose or something? Should I mount the engine square to the firewall or to the fuse?
Which engine are you using. If you are using a 2-stroke you will most likely end up mounting it with the head of the motor facing at a downward 45 degree angle. 4 stoke wil face straight down. As far as the firewall goes, it is intentionally built with right thrust to help counteract the left turning tendencies of these high power models. When the engine is mounted it will have a noticable right angle. This is on purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.