Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Getting into 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Getting into 3D

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Futaba Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into 3D

I've been wanting to get into 3D flying but wasn't sure what type aircraft to use. I was thinking along the lines though, of electric foamys? So I was wondering what your recommendations were for a tough foamy that could take abuse and that I could learn 3D on. Any other suggestions on what planes to use would be great.
Thanks
Futaba Owner
Old 08-25-2006, 08:59 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Getting into 3D

Are you already a pretty solid RC pilot? If you are then a foamy will work for you but I do not think that you would really want it to be your 3D plane to learn with. They are quick and tricky to fly but they are an absolutely blast. I would recommend a 40 size profile plane, or a U CAN DO or one of the new Funtana X Series. I have not tried the Funtanas but from all I read they are the shiznit.
If you are a beginner to RC, a foamy is not the right plane to start with. Im betting you are not a true beginner but I had to ask.

I am sure that you will get tons of suggestions for airplanes so I will see what your answer is and let the gang point you in the right direction.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:47 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn`t get the hang of hovering before I got a harrier 46. It`s very easy to hover this plane and I`m amased how much weight I can put on the tail to make it even easier to hover and it still flyes great.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Futaba Owner

I've been wanting to get into 3D flying but wasn't sure what type aircraft to use. I was thinking along the lines though, of electric foamys? So I was wondering what your recommendations were for a tough foamy that could take abuse and that I could learn 3D on. Any other suggestions on what planes to use would be great.
Thanks
Futaba Owner

Futaba Owner, I tried to PM you but you're blocking PM's!

Here ya go:

http://www.tufflight.com/4d_lite.html

or for 40 size glo fuel :

http://www.tufflight.com/4d.html

Because they're (semi flexible) EPP, they don't track as straight as balsa birds at higher speeds, but you won't be able to break them while learning 3D down on the deck. I

IMO, the 4D lite flys better than the Ucando, blade, or any other flexible foamie.

There's nothing comparable to the glo powered 4D for durability. Even after the learning stages, it's still more wild and crazy than most profiles due to full flying tail feathers. Nothing does waterfalls as tight as a 4D.

Sorry for the blatant ad, but your request seemed to beg for this response.
Joe Chovan
TufFlight Models
Old 08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Futaba Owner

Thanks for the help guys. What do you think of the Twist as a 3d trainer?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
wind junkie

I think Jeff Williams (ace pilot and designer of the famed "Sledge") said it best:

"friends don't let friends fly Twists.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Futaba Owner

I was looking at some ratings on the tuflight 4d lite and everybody said that it could take a lot of abuse. I like that cuz I tend to dish that out pretty quickly. I live in NE and we get a lot of wind out here can it take a lot of wind? also what set up would you recommend?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I think Jeff Williams (ace pilot and designer of the famed "Sledge") said it best:

"friends don't let friends fly Twists.

No doubt!! YUK![:'(]
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 PM
wind junkie

I was looking at some ratings on the tuflight 4d lite and everybody said that it could take a lot of abuse. I like that cuz I tend to dish that out pretty quickly. I live in NE and we get a lot of wind out here can it take a lot of wind? also what set up would you recommend?
The electric 4D lite only weighs 10 oz and it's a real floater, so it's not the best choice for windy days. It shines best indoors or in a small protected "alcove".

However, the glo fuel 4D is excellent in all types of wind. Windy days are great to build 3D skills and confidence.

Here's a FAQ for the 4D: Scroll down to the part about flying in wind:

http://www.tufflight.com/4d_faq.html#starter
Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Ultrasp99

For learning 3D I wouldn't have traded my Tuffflight 4D for anything. Over the last year or so I must have crashed/dorked my 4D over 100 times, and to this day it is still flying. I started to learn with a Morris the Knife and after the first crash (were I destroyed the airplane) I got very frustrated.

It is MUCH easier learning to hover down low close to the ground, and the 4D allowed me to do just that without the fear of picking up balsa pieces.

The 4D will increase your learning curve dramatically.

Steve

Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Futaba Owner,

Unless I missed it, you never answered Mike East's question about your experience level in RC planes. It is very difficult to make recommendations without knowing this. If you are a beginner to RC, you need to learn normal flight before venturing into 3d aerobatics. Conversely, if you are a fairly experienced flier, then there are a lot of viable options out there. Please let us know, and please be honest.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Futaba Owner

I have been flying rc for a while and know basic aerobatics. I would really like to venture into the world of 3d. But I want somthing stable so I can continue flying for sport but also can help me learn 3d.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

What planes have you been flying?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

A durable 3d plane, cool!

I have been looking at many 40 3d profiles
I want to get into to 3d soon too

I have herd about
mojo 40
ef edge 540
katana v2
and know the tufflight

I havn't biult a kit yet but how difficult is the biuld for it.
I can do all aerobatics that a pattern ship can do.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Futaba Owner

I have an advanced trainer that I'v been flying for a while. It does basic aerobatics, that kind of stuff. I have been flying 3d on the sim that I have doing stuff like hovers, blenders, KE, flat spins... I just want something tough so I can try that stuff out at the field.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Jack Hyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the other hand you don't need to crash 100 times or even 1 time to learn 3d. I have never crashed a plane trying a 3d maneuver but I am methodical (boring ). I have a UCD 46, Mojo 40, Mojo 60, Burrito and 4 3d foam planes. I have crashed more than once but at this point its when I have a loose servo arm, wrong model on radio and other dumb stuff. I can hover , spin , harrier etc. I got a good knie edge loop with my Mojo 60a few days ago.
I have a Copperhead Extra that I got for durabilty. After flying it about a year I pulled the Hacker off and will put it on something less tough but that flies like I like. Get something that is made to fly and be a little careful. Full scale aerobat pilots don't crash a lot and some are pretty good.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: Jack Hyde

On the other hand you don't need to crash 100 times or even 1 time to learn 3d. I have never crashed a plane trying a 3d maneuver but I am methodical (boring ). I have a UCD 46, Mojo 40, Mojo 60, Burrito and 4 3d foam planes. I have crashed more than once but at this point its when I have a loose servo arm, wrong model on radio and other dumb stuff. I can hover , spin , harrier etc. I got a good knie edge loop with my Mojo 60a few days ago.
I have a Copperhead Extra that I got for durabilty. After flying it about a year I pulled the Hacker off and will put it on something less tough but that flies like I like. Get something that is made to fly and be a little careful. Full scale aerobat pilots don't crash a lot and some are pretty good.
I dunno. The freedom to crash takes a lot of the apprehension away.

If you're trying to find the limit of what your plane can do, it's a LOT quicker just to go past it (crash) than try to get there in baby steps. Sort of like doing a binary search vs a linear. You get to your 3D flight goal asymptotically without crashing, but I get there a lot quicker with crashing. Once you get over that stigma, you can learn faster. Practice on the rubber airplanes, and use what you learn on the balsa birds. There is a lot to be said for both.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

ORIGINAL: Jack Hyde

I dunno. The freedom to crash takes a lot of the apprehension away.

If you're trying to find the limit of what your plane can do, it's a LOT quicker just to go past it (crash) than try to get there in baby steps. Sort of like doing a binary search vs a linear. You get to your 3D flight goal asymptotically without crashing, but I get there a lot quicker with crashing. Once you get over that stigma, you can learn faster. Practice on the rubber airplanes, and use what you learn on the balsa birds. There is a lot to be said for both.
I agree with both.. The best thing you can do if you want to learn 3D fast is get a good simulator to help get the basic feel of the maneuvers. Aerofly Pro Deluxe or Real Flight G3 will both do the job. I like AFPD.

Then I would say get a plane that is really tough and can take some abuse.... You will almost inevitably put at least some landing abuse on a 3D plane. I would say a good 40-50 size Profile would be ideal. If you dont want that then maybe a U CAN DO, Funtana X series or something like that. I would steer away from the 40 size Scale Aerobatic 3D planes like the Edge, Extra and Yak. They are ok, but they are not very forgiving, even less forgiving than their giant scale big brothers. If you want to fly a scale plane to learn 3D you might try the Somenzini Yak with a YS 1.40, or if you can find an Extreme Flight Yak and the YS 1.10 that would be good.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM
BipesRule

My 3D plane I fly now is a Sledge! Greatest plane ever designed. Does anything I want to do. I flew regular planes before I saw some 3D stunts and wanted a 3D plane. Profiles are real good planes, I got used to it quickly. I have plenty of power with my Thunder Tiger .46 PRO. I think this is a good engine for the plane. I would say if you want to get into 3D flying get a Sledge.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Magic Extra 300L from model tech. Hard to beat, easy to build and does 3D with a decent ball bearing 46.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:41 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience profiles are really good for pure 3D fun. I had the Hokusei SU (they make for Kangke) and it was good stuff. If you want a full bodied plane then go with the TT Expo, that plane will hang happily on the TT46 and it hangs really well too. If you are willing to go with a 4C engine like the SA82 I will say get the Fliton Exra 330, its a superb overall plane. Another good cheap plane is the Black Horse Diablo.