Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana X100 maiden with video (Day#2 added)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana X100 maiden with video (Day#2 added)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana X100 maiden with video (Day#2 added)

A very satisfying first flight.Everything went 100%,it's a little tailheavy ( 7" ) but managable.
Not much 3d in this clip,just feeling this one out,and I must say that I have no complaints,She is agile and flys great and precise at slow speeds,like a big foamy.The 120 Surpass is running on 30% heli fuel and is running really rich,but still plenty of torque to move this ship around with authority
Cant wait for the next nice day to fly her again.Two thumbs up on this improved version of the F90
http://media.putfile.com/Funtana-X100

Here is the link to the second video.
It was quite a gusty crosswind that day,with many people at the field.My flying was off a little due to distractions,thats my excuse anyways
The vid shows a lot of walls into Hover and some semi Harrier rolls,not much of a menu,but vid #3 wil have more variety as the Funtana X100 can do quite an array of tasks very well.I struggled for a soundtrack,so I kept it more mellow and neutral so most can watch it without being too offended.

http://media.putfile.com/Funtana-X100-Day-2

Old 10-14-2006, 10:40 PM
ninelaps

Default RE: Funtana X100 maiden with video

Nice, a good dramatic build up to the maiden flight! The OS seems quite happy given it's previous insult. The rearward CG shows up on the approaches, but otherwise seems like confidence built quickly. Looking forward to seeing it live. What did the plane weigh in at?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:10 PM
nitro wing

I was really worried about the condition of that motor after I used it to drill fence post holes with my GSP Katana last year,ninelaps
The weight was disapointing,measured by a very accurate 3000$ digital scale at work.
Scale showed 4840 grams or 10.6 pounds,a bunch over what others are posting.
There have been reports of some much lighter,but I doubt the scales they were using were extremely accurate.
The 120 Surpass is a heavy motor,but balanced the X 100 (nearly) perfectly.During test flights it did not feel heavy,rather very floaty and soft with nice response all the way through post stall.The weight does not bother me now,with 1100+ square inches of wing,the loading must still be very low.
We'll have to get the Showtime and X100 out on the next nice day
(which may be a while judging by the forecasts) []
Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Merkaba

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

I was really worried about the condition of that motor after I used it to drill fence post holes with my GSP Katana last year, ...
Thats a helluva way to put it!

I was thinking about getting that plane, then I discovered this thing called full scale. My money has been short ever since!

Nice vid. Looks like a nice plane to fly!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 AM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Hi nitro wing, the OS 120 sounds great.... i have a used one that i bought cheap and i need to do some repairs before i get it running. What are you getting to for rpm's and are you using a stock muffler?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 AM
powerlines

Looks great.. I am waiting to crash my 90S and I will be getting one of these..!!

LATER
Old 10-15-2006, 09:52 AM
roadwarrior330

What OS120 is this?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:59 AM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: tukkus

Hi nitro wing, the OS 120 sounds great.... i have a used one that i bought cheap and i need to do some repairs before i get it running. What are you getting to for rpm's and are you using a stock muffler?
It is the OS 120 Surpass 4 stroke (sidemounted) with factory muffler
I have never tached it,I was running a regular APC 16x6 on that flight,but want to get another APC 16x4 W blade,she really redlined with that prop,which is not what I want,but spool up was very good.May try a 17x4 also.As soon as I pushed the throttle the X100 shot forward like an electric,but I know that high airspeed will kill this machine,so I was very aware and putted around for this session.I hardly ever moved the throttle stick past half (it also hovered at that setting) most flybys were at few clicks above idle with the motor ticking over at a rich low rpm.
It presents nicely in the air as it is easy to fly close,kinda felt like I was flying a 50cc gasser
It was really nice to hear the low rpm and scale airspeed and having so much authority on the sticks without having to worry about nasty stalls and 50 foot drops.Looking forward to pushing some more 3D out of it next time.Hopefully I can bring another video clip
Old 10-15-2006, 01:33 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was very impressive! I just got mine and almost everything I need to get it in the air. Just waiting for my radio and then I'm having an expert builder that also does 3D setups build it for me. I build kits but this one I want to be right on. This is my first 3D plane and I loved the way it flew slow and stable in your video. That will really help me get used to it's flight characteristics. This is the first video I've seen of it and the women that was behind the camera did an excellent job. Two thumbs up on the presentation and footage. I loved it.

Hope mine turns out as great!

Gibbs
Old 10-15-2006, 02:07 PM
nitro wing

Thanks NCIS
I set it up per book with about 50% expo,except throttle.She is a real Angel to fly until you deflect the sticks alot and add throttle.Then it becomes incredibly manouverable,but predictable.Try to keep your CG as per instructions.I am at aft CG but am used to planes that fly like that .You can notice the pitching on approach.Once lined up though,it lands itself
My girlfriend taped the first half,she does pretty good as we often film all types of events,and the second part was shot by a fellow club member that also did a fine job standing in the cold and wind for the vid.
Good luck with yours

PS I put some 1/8 short dowels in the firewall (2 per 4 sides) as some reports have shown failure here.Threadlock everything,and seal all gaps.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 PM
NCIS

nitro wing,

Can you make a diagram of where to put these dowels. I'm not clear on where they are going exactly and what they will be connecting to other than the firewall itself. Could you be more specific. I had planed on sealing all the hinge gaps, but thanks for the help. I need to show the builder what your talking about for the firewall.

Thanks again,

Gibbs
Old 10-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

nitro wing,

That was a great video. Love the music and the editing to keep it moving along. I haven't heard that song in at least 5 years, maybe 10! Whatever happened to Axel Rose anyway? I have a 100x also, and I love it. Thanks for the video. Please give us another one!

Adam
Old 10-16-2006, 04:59 PM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

computers aren't my specialy and I can't seem to figure out why I can't watch more than about 10 seconds of this clip.... HELP.. Do I need to change a setting?

BTW, I'm on apple, not pc.

thanks
Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Same here nuvaring. It won't run on my apple either. Usually putfile videos run fine.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
deadstick999

Great vid man. I'm thinking of getting this plane for my first 3Der and putting a Saito 125 in it. If you could explain to us how you put the dowels in the firewall that would be awesome. I have never had to do that before so if you have some pic's that would help too. Again great vid.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
nitro wing

Thanks guys
I 'll work on another vid and push the X100 a little more (and myself)
I'll get some pics up hopefully later tonite about pinning the firewall,a very simple job
Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 PM
deadstick999

Default RE: Funtana X100 maiden with video (more coming)

Cool man, thanks I need all the help I can get. Lookin forward to the next vid.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 PM
nitro wing

I drilled 1/8 holes and inserted and epoxied a 1/8 hardwood dowel that was 1/2 inch long from the sides into the firewall.I did 2 per side on all 4 faces.Then just sand smooth and refuel proof.I work in a bodyshop so I brushed on some urethane primer which does not allow fuel to ever creep into the wood.It just adds extra strength so the firewall does not tear away as easy.Even though it looks like there is plenty of glue there,some have suggested that it did not penetrate well at the factory and some have a weakness there.In fact run some thin and medium CA where ever you can reach,especially the landing gear block area.Dont drown it,just a well placed bead.
I hope the pic clarifies things a bit.Some just add screws instead,probably works OK too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65329.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	542513  
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM
nitro wing

At the field
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95488.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	542520  
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
deadstick999

Thanks nitro wing the pic is great. I was wandering what people were talking about and now I know. Do you think this plane would make a good first 3D plane? I have a Alpha 40 trainer and a P-51 mustang that I fly now but have been looking a this plane to get into 3D. I figured that if I turned the rates down I should be able to handle it, but a have'nt had a chance to fly one yet. So any input you have would be great. I know people always say to go with a profile plane for the first 3Der but I just cant bring myself to spend my money on a plane that I dont like.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
nitro wing

If you have the equipment to fill the fuse and wings then I would say no problem.If you can fly the P 51 well, then you can fly the Funtana.Remember you will need 100 ounce servos or better, 5 of them and a radio that can mix dual elevators properly and prefarrably Ailerons too.Y harnesses will work on the wings,but the elevators may be difficult to run into one channel.You may want to consider the X50 size,may be a a lot cheaper to get into the air.With normal non 3D throws both should be quite gentle to fly and capapble of the standard aerobatics.Increasing throws only takes a few minutes,and you can experiment from there.If it's your first 3D machine,you have to remember that you will have a pile of cash into it when done,and they are not built to take any cartwheels on the runway.One dump and it will sustain alot of damage.And everyone puts them in when trying 3D or low aerobatics.
I'd say get a beater or profile and use your existing gear and fly the heck out of it while you get a Funtana built.
What Mustang and gear are you flying?
If you really want to 3D seriously in the Future and dont have a sim,I would really recommend you get a good simulator.Anybody that has great skills spends alot of time on the sim also.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
deadstick999

I have the hanger 9 P-51 PTS. I have never flown it with any of the training stuff that comes on it. All that stuff came off right away. Its more of a sport plane I guess. I'm sure you are right and to hold off on this plane for now an get a beater. I have also looked at the Twist 60, no were near as nice as the X100 or X50 but it might take a little bit more beatings and missakes by someone new at 3D. Looks like my wallet is ready but my thumbs are'nt.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
nuvaring
My Feedback: (6)

Wondering if the YS 1.4 sport would be too much? anyone try this combo. Or woud the YS.91 be a better fit?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Planeclothes

Deadstick,
I have both the Twist 60 and Funtana X100. In my case, it also helps that I had been flying the UCD3D 60 before I got these 2 planes. The Twist is definitely more forgiving, especially on high rates and will do almost anything (except maybe good KE) in slow motion. I consider the Funtana one step higher, but even on low rates you can get in trouble if you are not used to flying this type of plane. Keep in mind that you are used to your Mustang which you can and in most instances you should fly at high speed. 3D is a different game that requires a lot of power management to keep your plane from flying too fast. My 2 cents.

Nuvaring,
I don't know about the YS 1.4 but I'm using the OS 1.20 AX and fly at slightly less than 1/2 throttle most of the time, but when it comes to vertical performance, it really shines. If you are good with power management, I would say go for it.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM
deadstick999

Thanks planeclothes, mabe the twist is a better way for me to go for now. What engine were you running?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.