Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

When to use regulators.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

When to use regulators.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:44 AM
AussiePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to use regulators.

hi guys, im just curious, im not really sure when to use regulators.
Right now in my cap im running 4 Jr 8411 hi torq Digital servo 1 standard and a 5955 hitec servo and running a 6v Nimh 2000ma, just wondering when i should start to use regulators...??

Im just about to start another build and i was also cuirous why people use Lithium-Ion and regulators when u could use a big 6vNIMH is there any differents.?? please explain..

Im going to build a 50cc extra from Aero works and im thinking of using this setup...
5945 x 6, Powerbox Evolution 40/16, w/sensor switch ( Not sure if i need this Please let me know ) Fromeco 2400mah 7.4v peerless battery, Fromeco regulator and reliaswitch for ignition ( Da 50 )
And for the Reciver batt ill be using Fromeco 4800mah 7.4v peerless battery and Fromeco regulator and reliaswitch Not this will be my first big setup so all ur input would be great,
im not sure about the power box so please let me know what u think about that too, thanks guys
Stephen
Old 12-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Fly-guy

Default RE: When to use regulators.

Regs. are used on RXs once your voltage of a pack is over 6V. RXs *shouldn't* run on anything over 6V although I have heard that they will (don't quote me) but the general concensus is over 6V, like your Fromeco Li Ion packs you use a reg. Although you clearly get that so I didn't really answer your question

Most people don't use regs and Li Ions till they hit the 50cc size due to the weight basically. Any smaller and not only will you be struggling for room the weight isnt really worth the effort.

Also Li Ions and regs are far better than a NiMh pack because a reg and a huge Li Ion pack will sill weigh less than a smaller NiMh pack. For example, in my H9 Extra 260 I have a 4800mah Fromeco Battery and reg and it weighs less than a 2000mah NiMh.

The setup you have listed for your Aeroworks is near on identical to what I am running on my 260 except for the Ign. pack. I have opted for an 1100mah 4.8V Nicd because they are a tougher cell than Li Ion when it comes to vibration and fast charging.

And just out of interest, where are you getting your Aerworks plane from in Aus? I couldn't find a dealer in Aus but was quite pi55ed when I found out I could have gotten one the other day elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 AM
AussiePilot

i went to the Web site http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=275
im still waiting for an email but they say in there terms and conditions that they deliver world wide. im going to place an order asap. though im buying all my batts and switched and all i need now so i dont have to wait to throw this baby togethor.
What about power boxes for the servo's when do u think u should use them either.??
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go read this if you want to compare weights of lithium, systems over MH or even Nicad. Lithiums aren't really that much lighter for the cost of the system.

http://www.hangtimes.com/weightcompare.html
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Fly-guy

In my Extra I have 1 servo per aileron, and elevator half. 1 Rudder servo and a throttle servo so i did not use Powerboxes as it was more complexity I did not need. I just used a JR 10 channel Rx and slaved the two elev halves together and did the norm for a two aileron servo setup and it works fine, no need for more than that with this many servos IMO.

if you do get the plane I will be very interested to hear how it goes.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time you need to use regulators is when your battieres output voltage is higher than the operating volatge that you want. If you are using a 4.8V pack and want to operate at 4.8V or 6V pack and you want to operate at 6V then you do not need a regulator.

If you want to use a 6V battery for a 4.8V system or a 7.4V/11.1V pack for a 4.8V or 6V system then you need a regulator that will bring you down to the desired output voltage.

If you are using the Powerbox 40/16 Evolution with the relia switch (I have one and they are GREAT BTW) then you do not need regulators for anything that is being driven by the powerbox. The fail safe switch is worth it, plus it comes with the Evolution and is included in the price.

On my last setup I did not run the ignition pack through the powerbox though. I ran the ignition off of a separate Fromeco 2400mah (2cell 7.4V) pack and ran it to a separate regulator becuase I was using all the channels on the powerbox for other stuff.