Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor ARF .46-.70 - Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor ARF .46-.70 - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor ARF .46-.70 - Build Thread

Yep, I was on a witch hunt for excess weight, for sure. I know the grid area didn't amount to much, but it made me feel better. Your thread-through-the-hatch is really a great idea - very simple and functional, just the way I like it. I was on the verge of cutting out the mounting holes for the magnets in my quest to shave weight, but thought I may eventually decide to use the hatch after checking out the vertical performance as is. If an extra few grams won't be noticeable, there's a good chance I'll strip the trans red and install the hatch. I'm also considering removing the canopy and putting down an opaque layer of MonoKote over the radio equipment. For now, however, I want to be able to keep an eye on the components to make sure everything is secure and functional. It's going to be torture to sit around and wait until I can fly this thing.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 PM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: JustErik

Thanks Malcom. The Reactor should be insane with a 55 AX on the nose! It ought to be a heck of a combination. What are you doing for a muffler? I imagine the stock muffler would nestle very neatly in the cutout behind the engine. I wonder if a pitts style would fit within the cowl...or even if it would be necessary? What size prop do you anticipate running? I've read that the 55 AX will happily swing an APC 13 x 4W at well over 11,000 RPM. That thing should go up like the space shuttle! Please take some pics so we can see how it comes together.

Erik
Erik, I imagine your YS should give similar, if not better, performance to the 55 AX. I plan on using the stock muffler, assuming it fits. I'm not that keen on Pitts mufflers, in some cases you lose power, and lack of muffler back pressure can be a problem. When I get to the engine install I will try and remember to post some pictures - but I'm a slow builder so it will take a while.

I will probably start with an APC 12.25 x 3.75, since that is what I have. I depends on what will fit with the stock spinner.

I already have some space shuttle like planes - A Twist 40 with OS 61 FX, a Showtime 90 with OS 120 AX and a Somenzini Yak 54 72" with OS 160 FX (11 lbs). I'm actually more concerned with getting a low wing loading than rocketing out of a hover, that gets old fast.

Malcolm
Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM
JustErik

Agreed on the low wing loading. I really tried to keep my Reactor as light as possible, but was 6 ounces heavier than the bottom of the published weigh range. Maybe with an ultra-light two-stroke (Webra 40 or similar), smaller fuel tank and minimal battery pack, that weight is possible, but I don't see how it's possible with recommended equipment.

Man, that Twist with a .61 must be quite impressive in vertical drag races. LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent pictures and writing Erik.. You could make a living at it I think!! Cant wait to see it fly.

Someone mentioned servo speed earlier.. Specifically the difference between .23 and .15 servos.. That is a pretty big difference. If you are used to the slower servos and just knocking around or learning they are fine... I like the quick crisp response of a fast high quality servo,,, when I want it. Its nice to have quick predictable response when you are trying to hover or do high alpha rolling maneuvers with precision.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
JustErik

Thanks for the comments, Mike. That would be a dream job for sure.

I'm hoping we get a break in the weather soon so that I can sneak in a flight or two. I'm not asking for much....just a few hours!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Guillermito

Hello JustErik, that measured they have the holes of the servo ones? in order to see that servo they are possible to be put.

Thank you very much. Greetings from Argentina.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Guillermito

Hello JustErik, that measured they have the holes of the servo ones? in order to see that servo they are possible to be put.

Thank you very much. Greetings from Argentina.
I apologize Guillermito, but I'm not certain what you are asking. If you are asking about the dimensions of the existing servo cutouts, they are sized to fit the Futaba 9650 perfectly. You can see the specs on the 9650 here. I'm sorry if that's not what you were looking for.

Erik
Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Tom Simes

ORIGINAL: malcolmm

Erik, I imagine your YS should give similar, if not better, performance to the 55 AX. I plan on using the stock muffler, assuming it fits. I'm not that keen on Pitts mufflers, in some cases you lose power, and lack of muffler back pressure can be a problem. When I get to the engine install I will try and remember to post some pictures - but I'm a slow builder so it will take a while.

I will probably start with an APC 12.25 x 3.75, since that is what I have. I depends on what will fit with the stock spinner.

I already have some space shuttle like planes - A Twist 40 with OS 61 FX, a Showtime 90 with OS 120 AX and a Somenzini Yak 54 72" with OS 160 FX (11 lbs). I'm actually more concerned with getting a low wing loading than rocketing out of a hover, that gets old fast.

Malcolm
Malcolm, I know exactly what you're talking about with reference to the Pitts mufflers. I fly with two different people that have had to completely crimp off one leg of their Bi**on Pitts mufflers in order to get sufficient back pressure for their 2C engines to run correctly. One installation was on a .40 and the other was on an OS 1.60 and both had the tank right behind the firewall, more or less in-line with the carb. That being said, I have two of the Slimline large volume Pitts mufflers (one on a ST S-75 and the other on an OS .91FX) and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get another. Both of my Slimline mufflers are compact, light, well made, have pleasant exaust notes (not quiet, but pleasant in a Harley sort of way) and don't restrict the power in any way I can discern.

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/onli...rge_volume.htm

I don't know about their other (low volume?) Pitts mufflers, but both mine have restrictors up inside the two exaust stacks to increase the back pressure.

BTW, I'm with you on wing loading! High power loading is fun for a while - but for me, light wing loading is more enjoyable, foregiving and easier on equipment in the long run.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Guillermito

Hello JustErik, you responded to me what needed to know!!

Thank you very much. Greetings.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 PM
malcolmm

I think someone was asking about using full sized servos on the Reactor.

I used the same hitec digital minis in my wing that Erik did. However, I am using a couple of Hitec full size 6635 digitals on the elevators. It required a fair bit of cutting, both for width and length. Fortunately there was enough plywood under the servo bays that it worked okay. According to the Hitec website, the 6635 dimensions are: 1.6"x0.8"x1.5".

It was actually more work to adapt the Hitec digital mini's. The Hitec's are a little wider and shorter than the servos the Reactor is designed for.

Malcolm
Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Ernie Misner

Think that thin wing is thick enough to take my standard Hitec 475's?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Think that thin wing is thick enough to take my standard Hitec 475's?

Thanks,

Ernie
Ernie,

I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness of the wing and your servo mounting. The worst case scenario is that you would have to put a couple of spacers under the servo mounting lugs to raise the servo a bit. If you did this carefully and covered or painted the shims to match the wing, it would not be very noticeable. I think, however, there is a good chance the standards will fit fine.

Erik
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Erik. Hey, can you believe my Reactor is finally on it's way? The last discount sale Tower had pushed me over the edge!

Thanks for all your early input!

Ernie
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
JustErik

My pleasure, Ernie. You'll have to share you progress (lots of pics and impressions) so we can all relive the excitement through you.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
malcolmm

I jumped ahead a little on my assembly and drilled the holes for the motor mount, so I could get a rough idea of how my OS 55 AX will fit. It looks like it will fit nicely, lots of room for the muffler under the plane, mostly out of sight. The edge of the cylinder head might just touch the cowl a tiny bit, can't tell for sure.

Great Planes provided me with great support on my Reactor. My canopy had a small, dime sized indent. I emailed their support group and they sent out a replacement without me having to send them anything. I just received the canopy today.

I'm sure looking forward to flying this plane. And hopefully Great Planes will design some bigger Reactors.

Malcolm
Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Ralph L.

I have had my eye on this plane and I am thinking of buying it. Can someone please tell me can you mount all standered servos in this plane you know 3004 or others of this size. Not wanting to use mini servos in this plane I want to use standered size ones. If so is it a big deal to make the bigger ones fit??
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Ernie Misner

I asked the same question Ralph, and Erik and the guys were kind enough to let us know that there is enough meat in the cutouts to grind away and get them in there. There's even something in the manual that tells you which way to go to open them up.

The wing is thin, but if your standards bottom out in there just shim them up a bit.

Let us know how it goes because I haven't actually done mine yet!
---------------------------
Hey does anyone know what is up with the trend towards thin airfoils like this one? It's a good 3D plane, but I don't see how a thin wing can slow down that much.

Ernie
Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Guillermito

Hello, as is the best prop for the YS 63s and the Reactor? can be the APC 13x4W?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Guillermito

Hello, that spinner measurement takes the Reactor?

Thanks. Greetings.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 AM
JustErik

Guillermito,

I suspect the best prop will depend on your engine and flying style. If you want to have strong vertical performance at the expense of top speed, try a lower picth prop and go with a diameter that puts max RPM in the range your engine likes. If you want to fly a little faster (not TOO fast!), you can go up on the pitch and reduce diameter, again just keep your engine happy and you should be able to experiment with different props. I know I didn't really answer your question, but maybe you have a little more info to go on now.

Oh, and the diameter is 2.25 inches.

Erik
Old 02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Ernie Misner

The prop for the Saito 82 (very similar in power to the YS 63) is the 14x4W APC. 13" might be a bit small for the 63?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
JustErik

Hey Ernie, how's it going? Can you refresh my memory.....how far along are you on your Reactor? I'm sure you've posted it somewhere, but I'm getting a little too old to keep track of everyone's status.

I'm getting REALLY antsy and want to fly this beast...but the weather just will not cooperate. I've got a whole slew of props I want to try out, including both the 13 x 4W and 14 x 4W APCs. I've also got some Zinger Pro's I'd like to try. Sigh.....I guess there's not much to do but wait it out.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Erik. I finally just got my Reactor last week. The Tower sale plus a coupon I had did the trick. You guys pushed me over the edge. Especially with all the high quality pictures. I do some scenic and nature photos, but when I tried to take some closeups for a guy last week of one of my planes I realized just how good your were.

At the rate I go I'll be lucky to get this baby going by late spring ~

Ernie
Old 03-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Guillermito

Hello JustErik, it wanted to know that it marks and measured of axis you put when installing the wheels of 2.5 ".

Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
RCAA
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys, what prop would you suggest for an OS 70 four stroke? I intend to use this engine on mine and have not had a chance to fly it yet due to weather. The OS 70 can fly with a 12 x 8, 13 x 6 or 13 x 8 --- any suggestions or notes of experience with this engine?

Thanks, TKNA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.