Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 40

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 Twist 40

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Joey63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Twist 40

I am looking for a good aerobatic airplane. I have been thinking about getting the Hangar 9 Twist 40 and installing the new OS 55 engine. The last 2 SIG Rascal 40's which I used for everything but flying level could not hold up to this and caused stress on the airframe which resulted in fatal crashes. I would like to know if anyone out there has owned the Twist and flown it alot. What are your comments and how does it perform. I'm not sure what 3-D flying really is but I do know that level flying is boring and no fun. I have noticed on RC Universe alot of Hangar 9 Twists 40's are for sale. It makes me wonder that maybe they purchased it and found out it did not perform well or something and are looking for a better airplane like myself. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 40

I would suggest the 60 size. It flies much better
Old 02-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Huckaneer

The twist is an awesome plane and there is a huge thread about it here on RCU. But if you are looking for a good 3d plane I would go with a profile. I would try the Mojo. I had the twist and flew it through about 200 flights. It is awesome for all out sport aerobatics but if you want 3d then get a profile. Or you could go with something along the lines of a Funtana 50 or Showtime 50.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 AM
aussiesteve

Yep - the Twist is a great aerobatic sport flier nad an excellent intermediate step. We have one (40 size) with well over 200 flights on it with a range of different engines - but a true 3d'er it ain't. (I've not flown a 60 size so I don't know what they are like)

Huckaneer is right - if you find straight and level a bit boring, and are able to stress a Rascal to the point of failure, you'll love a MoJo (I don't normally like profile planes but am addicted to the MoJos) - they are Wild fliers with the rates set up high, very tame if you want them to be and are tough as nails. Otherwise think about maybe a U-can-do or Funtana.

The Twist has a tendency to break across the fuselage just behing the wing saddle if you land them a bit hard but they are a lot of fun to fly. I think you'll find that you see a lot of them for sale 2nd hand because a lot of them have been sold as intermediate steps and the pilots have moved on to different planes.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

I'd have to agree, the Twist 40 is a very fun flier. I always had a good time drawing a crowd with crawling 3 feet over the ground inverted and doing some crazy aerobatics.. it'll do alot of 3D, but isn't a true 3D flier. I fly a Katana 40 from OMP and it's a step beyond. I've told people the Twist can be tame enough for a trainer on low rates.

Sachin
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Twist 40 is an excellent plane that doesn't cost much. Sure, it may not be as good at hovering and stuff as some others but it is still extremely maneuverable. The bast part is, it can be gentle with low control throws. You can use a good .46 or .70-.82 4 stroke and get good performance. I even flew mine with standard servos. I sold mine but now I miss it. I'll probably get another one, maybe the .60 or 1.50 size this time.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Walt and Sage

Great plane for the $$$$$
654 flights on my now on TWO 46ax ...Had one of the first..

Always just a little underpowered for me with the 46ax
I think the 55ax would make a much better match...

I will do GREAT inverted flat spins and rolling circles but is
not the best 3d plane...