Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Review: EF Yak 74" and Brillelli 46cc

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Review: EF Yak 74" and Brillelli 46cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Review: EF Yak 74" and Brillelli 46cc

Thanks, She might be able to come home tomorrow. That means it will be Yak time this weekend!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Would a DL-50 weighing in at 55oz be too much for this plane ?
Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Yes that would be too much engine for sure... the airframe isn't designed for that much power... and honesty it's a complete waste.

The Brillelli 46 hovers this plane at 1/4 throttle.

Guys are flying the 88" with a 50 or 60 and it weights 4-5 pounds more.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
efsee

Sinergy, I'm about to finish mine, but have come up very nose heavy. Where did your C.G. come at. Manual recommends to start at 6", but I would need to place my batteries almost in the middle of the tail. Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Jake Ruddy

Honestly I don't exactly where my CG is. I have my batteries right at the former under where the canopy latch is.

When I got inverted it does need a little bit of push but it flies well where it sits. I wouldnt worry too much about being a little nose heavy.. mine winds up like a top for KE spins where it is sitting and will flatten out in a blender.

I will probably move them back 1 former and leave them there.

What I would suggest is maybe getting a fiberglass spinner http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...S&Category=618 They are fairly cheap and lite.

Where is your ignition battery?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
efsee

Thanks Sinergy.

Here is my plane equipment and setup:

4 x Hitec 5645MG for Ail and Ele (168oz at 6v)
1 x Hitec 5685MG for Rudder (172oz at 6v)
1 x Hitec HS-425BB for Throttle
1 x Fromeco Li-Ion Relions 7.4V 2600mAh for receiver
1 x MPI 6.0V Regulator
1 x HydriMax 4.8V 1200mAh NiMH Flat 4/5AA on ignition
1 x Smart-Fly Optical Ignition Kill Switch
2 x EMS Heavy Duty DSC Switches on receiver and ignition
1 x Futaba R148DP PCM reciever
1 x 12 oz Dubro S12 Square tank
1 x Brillelli 46cc gas engine
1 x PT Model 21 x 8 Carbon Fiber prop
1 x Tru Turn 3" Standard Big Bird Spinner
5 x AirWild Aluminum Servo Arms
Wheel pants and all standard hardware is used

Total weight: 12 lbs. 13 oz. (a little heavier than I whished for)
C.G.: 6†with both batteries placed in between 2nd & 3rd former bellow the canopy latch (mid tail).

All set for engine break-in and maiden flight. Will report later on how she does.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Jake Ruddy

Even at that weight she will fly great!

For 74" she has a lot of squares and makes for a light flying plane.

Nice setup... dont forget to report back!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:46 AM
efsee

Well, it seems it will be a while before I can maiden my EF Yak-54. I'm having carb problems with my 46GT. I will talk to Scott at Brillelli in order to figure out the problem and report back later.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
jason515
My Feedback: (1)

can anyone provide some advice on mounting the engine? i bought the package with the brillelli 36gt, and want to mount the engine right the first time.

thanks,
jason
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Jake Ruddy

I am sure there is someone that can share pics of this engine combo?

The easiest way to mount an engine is to put up a ladder and tape the plane using blue painters tape to it with the rudder off. Then you can center the engine on the thurst line and verify it is in the center of the cowl.. mark the holes and drill it.

Anyone have any pics of the 36 mounted?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:56 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Can someone please point me to the video of the EF YAK with the YS 160 DZ? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 AM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the build thread, Sinergy... I crashed my brand new Aeroworks Yak yesterday, so on the way home, I stopped at Cliff's and got the Yellow/Black Yak. Ordered the Brillelli 46 this morning. Your ladder mount idea is great..glad I ran across that before I mounted the rudder!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 AM
reyn3545

oops.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:56 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Well another day with the Yak and brought her home in one piece. I did break a prop on a touchy landing but had a spare ready to go. I will say this I have never flown a plane that locked into harriers as well as this one does. I was shocked it has no wing rock what so ever and my CG is at the front of the range. I am really loving this Yak! Good job Chris!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
reyn3545

I was reading through the instruction manual and just doing initial checks on my new yellow/black 74 inch Yak today... It looks like the manufacturing process (maybe just my plane, maybe just the latest batch?) did not drill the holes in the fuse for the landing gear.

This is very minor and easily resolved, but I wanted to mention it. Other than that, it looks very well built.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 AM
drewbags

Has anyone a pic of a rear carb engine mounted on the YAK? Was wondering how it would fit with a ZDZ40 or similar.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I was reading through the instruction manual and just doing initial checks on my new yellow/black 74 inch Yak today... It looks like the manufacturing process (maybe just my plane, maybe just the latest batch?) did not drill the holes in the fuse for the landing gear.

This is very minor and easily resolved, but I wanted to mention it. Other than that, it looks very well built.

No there were no holes drilled for the gear on mine. I just positioned the gear and used the gear for a drill jig no big deal.

drewbags, I have not seen any pics of the rear carb mount done but the ZDZ 40 would be great on this plane there is plenty of room for it.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
drewbags

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

drewbags, I have not seen any pics of the rear carb mount done but the ZDZ 40 would be great on this plane there is plenty of room for it.
Thanks, sounds like a good combo.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

Thanks for posting the build thread, Sinergy... I crashed my brand new Aeroworks Yak yesterday, so on the way home, I stopped at Cliff's and got the Yellow/Black Yak. Ordered the Brillelli 46 this morning. Your ladder mount idea is great..glad I ran across that before I mounted the rudder!

No Probs... glad to help.

As far as the rear mounted ZDZ 40.. I know there are several with the rear mounted Brillelli 36 and it makes a great combo.. sure the ZDZ 40 would have similar power.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Jake Ruddy

Well the official review is completed with a final flight video. Course the day I chose was 18 mph wings with 25mph gusts haha. You can hear the wind in the video and I have a new cam with the wind sound features.

Review will be up soon..
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I'm having mixed feelings about this plane. After hearing all the great things about how it flies, I've been somewhat disappointed so far. First, let me preface this by saying that I have been flying profiles almost exclusively for the past 3 years. If you've ever flown one, you know how well they float and manuever. So, my point of reference may be skewed somewhat.

My setup is as follows:

Brillelli 46
Hitec 5645s on all surfaces
BlueBird MG on throttle, no choke servo.
1000 4cell on ignition, 2500 nimh on receiver
PCM Rx
Balance is right on the recommended setting
Dry weight 12lbs 3oz.

I finally worked out all of my interference issues and was able to get a good flight in last Saturday. The plane required a lot more trim than I'm used to using on new planes. I had to give it 6-8 clicks of up and 4-5 clicks of right aileron for lever flight. Generally, it flies fine, but seems to tip stall very easy. Pulling up sharply will always cause a snap to the right. It rocks quite a bit in a harrier, with the right wing droppng a lot more than the left. The tip stall caused me a pretty rough landing on the first flight. The right wing dropped on final and it pancaked pretty hard. Bent the gear way out, broke one stack off the muffler, and broke the prop, but no other damage.

I weighed each wing panel when I assembled it and they were within .1oz of each other. However, the incidence on the right wing is maybe 1/2 degree off from the left, but I can't rememberwhich way. The left is 0deg referenced from the canopy deck. Maybe I'm trying to fly this thing like a profile and am expecting too much, but so far, it isn't anywhere near as fun. I'm giving it a few more flights and will see if I can work out the bugs before I make a final decision.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM
reyn3545

Joebob...

You mentioned interference issues.. can you elaborate? I've got the same basic setup on mine (whenever the engine arrives) and want to eliminate as much of that as possible before I hit the field.

I'm more than just a little paranoid about this now... I never had an interference problem on anything, then about a month ago, I finished building an Aeroworks 90-120 Yak with an Evo 26 gas motor. I chased interference issues for 3 weeks, thought I finally had them resolved, only to find out the hard way that my problems were not solved.

Any advise you can give me, I'd appreciate. I plan to have ALL of the ignition system in front of the firewall, and at least a foot away from anything else, but if there are other things that you've found.....
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: joebob

I'm having mixed feelings about this plane. After hearing all the great things about how it flies, I've been somewhat disappointed so far. First, let me preface this by saying that I have been flying profiles almost exclusively for the past 3 years. If you've ever flown one, you know how well they float and manuever. So, my point of reference may be skewed somewhat.

My setup is as follows:

Brillelli 46
Hitec 5645s on all surfaces
BlueBird MG on throttle, no choke servo.
1000 4cell on ignition, 2500 nimh on receiver
PCM Rx
Balance is right on the recommended setting
Dry weight 12lbs 3oz.

I finally worked out all of my interference issues and was able to get a good flight in last Saturday. The plane required a lot more trim than I'm used to using on new planes. I had to give it 6-8 clicks of up and 4-5 clicks of right aileron for lever flight. Generally, it flies fine, but seems to tip stall very easy. Pulling up sharply will always cause a snap to the right. It rocks quite a bit in a harrier, with the right wing droppng a lot more than the left. The tip stall caused me a pretty rough landing on the first flight. The right wing dropped on final and it pancaked pretty hard. Bent the gear way out, broke one stack off the muffler, and broke the prop, but no other damage.

I weighed each wing panel when I assembled it and they were within .1oz of each other. However, the incidence on the right wing is maybe 1/2 degree off from the left, but I can't rememberwhich way. The left is 0deg referenced from the canopy deck. Maybe I'm trying to fly this thing like a profile and am expecting too much, but so far, it isn't anywhere near as fun. I'm giving it a few more flights and will see if I can work out the bugs before I make a final decision.

Joe, let me first say you can't slam around a big plane like a profile.. you are just beginning to learn basic flight rules here. Any larger gasser will stall if you get on the Elevator hard.. you are stalling the wing.. a real plane does the exact same thing. A big plane will also not float in as slowly as a profile will... profiles usually have thick wings... the thicker the wing the slower it will fly and land. This also has the opposite effect.. if you fly it too fast you will snap the wings off of it.

A couple things to look for:

Make sure your elevator servos are traveling the exact same distance for your throws..
Look at your El. servo speed / linkage if one side is moving faster this will cause issues.. you wont get them perfect but poor linkage install will create issues.
Laterally balance your plane.. weighing the wings is not enough.
Check your incidence.. 1 degree off means a lot.. 1/2 will effect flight .. you should correct that.
Check incidence on wings vs stabs as well.
Move your CG back slightly and retest

Don't worry too much.. unless you want to fly foamies or profiles all the time you are going to have to go through this learning curve at some point in time.. it can be frustrating at first, but once you understand things it's just second nature and you can throw it around like you do your profile.. just have to do it differently.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:39 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Well, I fought intereference problems for a couple of months, and the only way I could get rid of it all was to switch to a PCM RX. I put ferrite rings on all of my servos right at the receiver, used twisted extensions, moved all electronics away from ignition system, tried 3 different FM receivers, different servos, rerouted antenna, etc. Couldn't get over 20ft range with engine running. With the PCM rx, I get over 120 feet rock solid.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Jake Ruddy

reyn3545: any gas engine with EI is going to give you problems if you dont set it up correctly.

I suggest you do a search on RF INterference and do some reading.

Should also spend some time in the gas engine forum and start reading about installs and the dos and donts.

Basic rules:

No metal on metal
plastic ends on the throttle linkage
EI 12" from receiver / battery
Locktite metal gear servos, engine mounting

any metal on metal vibration causes problems.. you should look at as many pics as you can find and read a bunch of threads. If you have problems then post pics and ask questions in the gas engine forum. MOst time people can help spot your problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.