Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D profile opinions

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D profile opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3D profile opinions

I was going to put this in the profile forum but since t's a 3D plane question also, I'm putting it here. I just maidened my scratch built profile Hots last weekend. I like it so much that I am alreay thinking about another profile. I want something more 3d capable this time. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Mojo and OMP Edge 540. Both look like good planes. I'd like to get some opinions about both planes though from those who have actually built and flown them. I'll propbably base my purchasing decision on the feedback I get here. Thanks for you input.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Huckaneer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D profile opinions

I only have experience with the mojo. I just finished building it. I got it on thursday and I finished it today. It is a very straight forward build. Follow the book and it will go good. As far as flying, I hope to do that next week. From all of the videos i have seen it looks to be a very solid flyer which excels at harriers and hovering. Knife edge looks good and very slow high alpha knife edge is easily achieved. I will let you know more when I fly mine.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 PM
aussiesteve

I have experience with the 40 and 60 size MoJos and the OMP Katana.

They are all excellent airframes but I think the MoJo has a slight edge over the OMP one. It is a little more forgiving but being profiles, that doesn't mean much - they all fly exceptionally well. The MoJo seems to be tougher when "Dumb Thumbs", "Showmanship" and gravity combine. The Mojo is also a really simple build with some of the best instructions I have ever seen. (I bought my OMP one pre built so I can't comment on that.)

Of the MoJos I think the 60 size is better than the 40 but my sons disagree. we have a Saito 82 in one of the 40's and a Magnum 91fs in the other 40. My 60 has a Saito 1.00 in it.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 AM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

I had the old V1 Omp Edge. (Lost to radio failure, the old problem Futaba had with the RF deck pins failing) Have ordered the new V2 ARF should have it this week. Am flying a 60 MOJO with the removable wing option on a Satio 91. And have a Fusion 40 size that I just upped the engine size to a Magnum 52.
For all out 3D go with the MOJO, if you want a slightly smoother plane build the EDGE which now comes with 2 pce. wings.
For a do everthing flyer that will 3D and fly fairly good precision go with the FUSION. It builds light but still will withstand fairly high speeds.
I really enjoyed my first EDGE it taught me 3D back when I was the only member of my club that actually moved the throttle stick more than twice each flight, and was one of the few that used rudder!
If you can swing it build the EDGE and order the 60 MOJO, the bigger size really flys better and does everything just a bit slower.
Both are great designs and both are 3D monsters. Go rip holes in the sky!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
aussiesteve

This is a slightly off topic question for 1THEPALMER but how do you find the Removeable wing option for strength on your MoJo 60?
I had mine built with that option but on about it's 4th flight I tapped one of the wing tips on the ground trying a knife edge Harrier and broke the little mounting lug where the root rib screws to the fuselage. It was an easy fix, I just epoxied the wings to the fuselage and made them non removeable. (I use either a large trailer or a van to transport my planes so I have plenty of space for it with the wings on). Because of that experience, I built the 4o sizes without the removeable wings. Now when I use the van to transport all three planes -it's kinda full up.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 AM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

My tabs have held up, but when they fail I will go with a bolt through the root to a blind nut inside the other wing like the Fusion. I do not have a trailer and my wife will not drive my car (standard) so I never get the van. I traded a hatchback for a regular trunk with fold down rear seats without testing the space with a few planes. I have a 72" Extra that will only fit with the gear removed. Next time I will go car shopping with a plane or two and test the fit first!