Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Stay grounded! I'm flying my 3-D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Stay grounded! I'm flying my 3-D

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
kc31406

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay grounded! I'm flying my 3-D

If someone takes off and is planning on hovering a 40 size 3-D plane close to the ground, is everyone supposed to stay grounded until his flight is over? It seems some guys get ticked off if they are flying 3-D and someone else wants to fly their plane also.

I thought the reason there are several different frequencies to choose from was so more than one plane could fly at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stay grounded! I'm flying my 3-D

This is always a touchy subject and it is almost always based on what the club rules are.

For example, our club supports 3D. All we ask is if you are going to fly 3D and others are in the air or takeoff while you fly it, then please move down to the other end from the approach end. If someone calls landing or takeoff, then they are asked to move out of the way for the time it takes.

Now we also have a "gentlemen agreement". Some of our 3D pilots do really good work and most people will wait or even land to watch. The guys flying GS planes are understanding of the size differences so they will sometimes wait for a few to land so as not to cause airspace issues.

Now on the other side of this, if the 3D pilot is one that is all over the place, meaning he has control but not very well, most everyone will land just to be able to duck . I've had that happen with a new 3D pilot where I as up with a GS plane and he was trying to practice his hovering and loosing it and getting closer to me than what I would like, meaning coming very close to the pilot fence so I would land and give him room and get out of the way.

We have had to ask our 3D pilots to be mindful of where they are hovering because if a plane is hovering right in front of you, it can be distracting, especially if you are flying another plane.

It all boils down to cooperation. Unfortunately, some people think it's unnatural for a plane to fly like that and will always try to have it stopped, my argument has always been "I guess you never say Shawn Tucker 3D his Pitts, Kirby Chambliss 3D his Edge, Michael Goulian wring out his Cap or most of the really good Russian pilots hammering on their Sukhoi's"

We have an excellent 3D pilot, he does not ask that we wait, never has and I have no problem flying my 33% and larger planes at the same time he does his 3D. I trust his skills, he trusts mine and we respect each others airspace
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
piroflip2

bubbagates

I could not have put it better myself.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

In the name of safety I believe that all planes should be flown away from the runways at ANY time there is another flyer in a pilot station and ALL flyers should fly from the flight stations. It is a MAAC rule in Canada to fly from these pilot stations and I hope our club continues to enforce this.

I like to fly a "bit crazy" at times and that is why I have become an early morning flyer - when no one else is around. I expect the same respect from other people.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Don M.

In the name of safety I believe that all planes should be flown away from the runways at ANY time there is another flyer in a pilot station and ALL flyers should fly from the flight stations. It is a MAAC rule in Canada to fly from these pilot stations and I hope our club continues to enforce this.

I like to fly a "bit crazy" at times and that is why I have become an early morning flyer - when no one else is around. I expect the same respect from other people.

Don,

I'm a bit like that as well. The 3D pilot I referenced is RCU member whaturi. We pretty much live at the field so we are mindful that we fly a lot and will in most cases gladly give up the airspace just to take a break and recharge both ourselves and the planes. He usually will still go up with someone else where I may sit. It's more of a preference, but the normal crowd (it seems we always have the same bunch all the time) is well aware of our skills and will most likely go up while we are up and we will go up when they are up. Whaturi will go into one of the corners for his 3D and I'll go high with my 33% stuff

It is nice to have the space to yourself, no arguments there. Heck as a recent example, we got to the field at 8:00am Sunday and had it to ourselves for the better part of the morning. He'd fly, I'd watch, I'd fly he'd watch. Then we were both working on our IMAC sequences an\d calling for each other as well.

We have a similar rule that all flying must be done from the center of the runway out and since our runway is 125 feet wide, it's not to bad
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
mtwister

I fly 3D and so I do take up a good portion of the runway, but as a fellow club member you have just as much right to call out that you want to shoot touch and goes as I do saying I want to harrier and hover over the runway. Don't get mad and quiet about it, then they never know. You must show them that things are equal, just because someone 3D's does not give them ownership of the runway during their flight. Just the same as the 3D heli guys must share.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I'm also like you and there are guys I fly with that could land on top of my head and I wouldn't say Boo. These same individuals also seem to be the ones who respect everyone else's style of flying.

Then there are a few others [] Need I say more.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
kc31406

When I first started watching guys fly 3-D I thought, wow! that is pretty neat how they make them hover just off the ground. Then after a while it got very boring for me to watch them at all. You seen one do it you've seen them all. Personally I like watching guys do slow rolls full bore about 10 feet off the ground.

I know it takes a lot of practice to fly 3-D but I also know they get less miles per gallon than I do with my aerobatic planes.

When others are flying 3-D, my type of manuvers are very limited so I usually stay grounded.

Unless you are hovering a 35% plane or larger 2 feet off the ground, IMHO I think flying 3-D is very boring to watch.

Momma always said, "Stupid is what stupid does" quote by forrest gump!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
mtwister

I don't believe the topic is wether or not you think 3D is boring. I find electrics bore me to death, but yet I didn't say anything about that here.
ORIGINAL: kc31406

When I first started watching guys fly 3-D I thought, wow! that is pretty neat how they make them hover just off the ground. Then after a while it got very boring for me to watch them at all. You seen one do it you've seen them all. Personally I like watching guys do slow rolls full bore about 10 feet off the ground.

I know it takes a lot of practice to fly 3-D but I also know they get less miles per gallon than I do with my aerobatic planes.

When others are flying 3-D, my type of manuvers are very limited so I usually stay grounded.

Unless you are hovering a 35% plane or larger 2 feet off the ground, IMHO I think flying 3-D is very boring to watch.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
kc31406

Oh, I'm sorry. I'll try not to let it happen again.

The topic isn't whether electrics are boring or not either. Nor was it about any heli's.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Johnny Mojo

KC......Interesting opinion. I am so glad that this hobby is such a diverse one. Now you do not have to subject yourself to boring 3D. As for your original question....what are the standard operating proceedures at your field? Only you and your fellow club mates can answer the question that you posed in this worldwide forum. You probably need to look for your answer a little closer to home. If your club has proceedures for calling landings / take-off's etc. then you should be able to fly regardless of who else is in the air or their flying style. That is IF you are confident enough in your ability to pilot YOUR plane in traffic. If not (and by re-reading your original post again) are you expecting others to land and watch while you fly? It's not too clear........

J.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:28 PM
rzarikian

simple: when someone wants to fly 3d then that person shoud do 3D in a separate pilot fence( if they wish to hover the plane in flont of them) or simply let everybody know his doing 3D low and near the runway but when someone has to land hi just pull up and wait for the other to land. another thing can be that he does 3d apart from the runway (since 3D flying doesn't need too much space) and when is time to land he does it in the normal runway. for last you could just take turns. all 3D pilots empty your tanks! (10min. aprox) when they land then the others could empty their tank while the 3D guys get set up for their next flight and so on.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
bubbagates

There are way more things to 3D that just hovering, how about a rolling harrier, Rolling vertical loop, rolling vertical figure 8. A nice tight KE spin, a blazingly fast waterfall. A full throttle wall that ends perfectly vertical then intoand inverted harrier then directly into a very slow and very low rolling harrier.

Hovering is just one aspect
Old 05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
mtwister

Exactly, and not to mention one of the easier ones to perform when compared to a good blender, or rolling harrier.
ORIGINAL: bubbagates

There are way more things to 3D that just hovering, how about a rolling harrier, Rolling vertical loop, rolling vertical figure 8. A nice tight KE spin, a blazingly fast waterfall. A full throttle wall that ends perfectly vertical then intoand inverted harrier then directly into a very slow and very low rolling harrier.

Hovering is just one aspect
Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
kc31406

Only person I care about watching my plane is myself so I know where it's at! I am capable of making low passes with a big 35% 3-D hovering in the middle of the runway a foot off the ground with no worry. And I don't mind if 5 others are flying at the same time along with mine.

Basically, I was wondering if it made others mad that a guy has a little 3-D hovering in the middle of the runway and he wants everyone else to stay grounded until he is done flying.

I can just imagine me tellin another guy...hey! if your gonna do your 3-d do it at the other end of the field. I'll bet he'd be Real happy to hear that! He'd probably look at you and say...Hey! if your gonna fly Your little P.O.S. take it to another field!

I have read some interesting replys in this thread.

thank you

Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
YNOT

Without reading any other responses;

If a 3D pilot waits until all other planes are on the ground, then goes flys, if another pilot goes up, thats fine, however do not complain about the 3D pilots flying style.

In fact I made up a shirt to ensure all other pilots understand my flight pattern.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65876.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	676048  
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: YNOT

Without reading any other responses;

If a 3D pilot waits until all other planes are on the ground, then goes flys, if another pilot goes up, thats fine, however do not complain about the 3D pilots flying style.

In fact I made up a shirt to ensure all other pilots understand my flight pattern.
I've seen some of your videos, that shirt tells all and anyone that has seen your videos knows that very well. The one that comes to mind right away was the Showtime powered by an OS160 from a couple of years ago. I thought the next post you made after doing that was to tell us you pulled the firewall from the plane going vertical, then I watched the video. I called nasa for you to let them know you might be flying that thing and going vertical soon
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM
mtwister

Chill out man.... If you can't be open, and extend your concerns to your fellow club members, then what good does it do to come in here and complain? I think if approached correctly, no one would mind being asked to 3D outside the normal flight path if other planes are airborne.

Only person I care about watching my plane is myself so I know where it's at! I am capable of making low passes with a big 35% 3-D hovering in the middle of the runway a foot off the ground with no worry. And I don't mind if 5 others are flying at the same time along with mine.

Basically, I was wondering if it made others mad that a guy has a little 3-D hovering in the middle of the runway and he wants everyone else to stay grounded until he is done flying.

I can just imagine me tellin another guy...hey! if your gonna do your 3-d do it at the other end of the field. I'll bet he'd be Real happy to hear that! He'd probably look at you and say...Hey! if your gonna fly Your little P.O.S. take it to another field!

I have read some interesting replys in this thread.

thank you

Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
kc31406

Once again, I'm sorry. I'll try not to let it happen anymore!

Here's my shirt...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97232.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	676055  
Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

We ran into this at our flyin a few times. We set the bottom half of the hour for 3-D and the top half for warbirds and sport flying. This also depends on how many of each we have. If we have 50 planes and 40 of them 3D we adjust the time.

David
Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Johnny Mojo

That clears up a lot and I agree with you now that your point is more clear. If you have 3D guys that want you to sit down and stop flying while they do their stuff, then I would tell them it ain't gonna happen. Communication is the key as referenced in my earlier post. I like the shirt too

J.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Ian.W

what you need to do is all become such amazing pilots people want to land and watch you..... problem solved!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
kc31406

Personally, I don't have a problem with 3-d flyers or any others. No matter who's out there flying what, whenever I get in the air they all seem to land their's and hide behind the shed and the fence! Especially with my new shirt on!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
JetCatJimmy

ROFL!!!!![sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
kc31406

Wow Jimmy! That's a nice jet you have in your dosier! If that baby ever hit a 3-D plane there would be one less 3-D plane to worry about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.