Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Foamy Airplanes

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Foamy Airplanes

Old 12-11-2007, 03:31 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamy Airplanes

I'm looking for some opinions on the benefits of using a electric foamy plane to learn 3D. Are they worth it, do the lessons learned directly transfer to the way 28% gasser 3D planes fly? I'm looking at some of the foam planes that Chargerrc sells.

http://www.chargerrc.com/

Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
-StephenSampson-

Default RE: Foamy Airplanes

Foamies fly way easier but you can use the skills you acquire and apply them to flying bigger planes to. I think part of the reason that they're easier is because if you crash it your out like 20-50 bucks instead of like 600-1000. That's a big part of it. But with small foam airplanes you can achieve such a tremendous power to weight ratio that it makes a lot of things easier. Plus since you can't fly them in wind you don't and therefore you have no wind gusts or change of direction so the conditions are always perfect. Flying a foamie in more than 5k of wind is probably not a good idea ( depending on what type it is, some can handle more and some less )
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Stick40

Before you start practicing with the foamy, practice 3D on a sim to get the orintation down and then use that knowledge in your foamy flying. Remeber a sim is no substitue for flying, its just a very good tool to learn orintational skills.

Stick 40
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Charger foam is the Best foam I have ever flown. I have one with me at all times. I fly Charger foam in lighted parking lots, parks, vacant lots, sports fields, anywhere I can get a small clear area without too much traffic. You don't need that much room for foam. Less than 1/4 acre will do in a pinch.

There is no gasser that is foam-like, but the skills are transferable. You just won't have instant throttle response or a 3-1 Power to weight ratio with a gasser. You will need to think ahead a lot more with gas and foam is the way to get started, IMHO.

If this is your first Charger plane, get the CR-1 it's the quickest road to hovering, harriers, KE work and blow-overs.

Good Luck!!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
ctnic

I try the new manuevers I learned on the sim with my foamies first as I also just started flying 3D this year. This has helped me get to the point where I no longer have to think about the inputs needed. Flying indoors leaves very little room for error which in itself will make a better pilot. And for those times when the foam meets the ceiling, wall, or floor they can be put back together relatively quick with foam safe CA and kicker. My foam planes also allow me to push myself harder and farther than I would with my larger planes. I have blown foamies completely apart only to have them back in the air in a couple hours to fly again.

As far as practicing on the sim I use a large 3D plane and fly it in the gymnasium or practice field to get accustomed to flying in confined spaces.

I noticed I now keep my larger 3D planes closer and lower than I have before. When I do get my 3D planes in those precarious positions I can react without thinking twice about the inputs needed as I have usually been there already with my foam planes.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

The main thing that foamies do for me is give actual stick time. I try to fly mine every day or so. I have learned more in the last year than the past 10 years of weekend flying. The simulators - I have tried them all - just don't give me the sensation of actually flying so the foamie is the way to go IMHO. They are a blast also...