Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 3d plane to put my saito .72 on? >

3d plane to put my saito .72 on?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3d plane to put my saito .72 on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3d plane to put my saito .72 on?

Well that is kind of what I am looking for actually, I already have a Taco which is a pretty good 3D machine and I have a foamie that is a blast but I would like something to fly all the time, and just take it easy with. someyhing stable and fun, easy to land, and just do some rolls, loops and a little hovering with. nothing to fancy just casual fun.

Chris
Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I gotta put my opinion on the UCD46. It would be a great fit with your Saito 72. Use a 14x4W prop. You should be able to keep the weight under 6lbs. (my latest one is 5lbs 12ozs) It flys great there. Put your CG at about 5 3/4". Lands very easy there still and yet does great 3D there.

The UCD will do everything 3D. It's worst habit is KE. It couples pretty badly to the belly. Also, harrier is weak. Lots of wing rock. But it will do everything else very good. It is one of the few planes that will do an inverted rising flat spin. Ya gotta love that. Neatest manuever I can do. Other strong points are Waterfalls, Hover, Flat Spins, Hammerheads, Flips, KE Spin, and just having a great time. I love the UCD.

And...I always feel it gets a bad rap. It flys much better than what others have posted here. And it's super easy to fly.

I've had several and still love them. Ya can't go wrong with a UCD.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 PM

I think Extreme Flight's new 58" Extra is probably the best plane out there for a "scale" 3D plane. I have one in my basement that I can't catch a break to work on. I also have the 60" AW edge for a while now. AW's edge is heavier and I have a 100 in it. I will be using a 72 in the Extra. should be just over 5lbs.

If your new to 3d the UCD might be your best bet tho. fly's great. and is more durable than the extra. oh, and is a lot cheaper.
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/58extra.html
steve.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM

The Fliton Edge 540 Freestyle is an amazing plane. You won't have ballistic vertical with it, but you can probably keep it under 5.5lbs and it's about the most stable plane out there. It's got a thin wing profile, so you can really turn up the speed. You can also really 3D it, it's the most stable plane I've flown. Barry Cazier said his UCD came out weighing 5#12oz and it could hover okay. The Edge is a couple ounces lighter AND has quite a bit more wing area. Remember, the design of the Edge flies better at 22oz/sqft than most designs do at 19 or 20. You could also get the Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle, a bit heavier but WAY more wing area. Still under 6# with the Saito 72. Again, not GREAT pull-out but that's about where a lot of people are putting it. Also, these planes aren't light using light wood...these planes are designed light but are some of the most physically stable and literally hard planes I've ever seen. Also, they all have airfoiled tail-feathers. A PITA to buld, but SOOO worth it in the end.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM

the plane looks nice but, the wing loading on the U-Can-Do is closer to 13-14 oz. sq.ft I think the fliton would be too much of a handfull for me right now. BUt I saw an add for the sig mayhem 40 arf. looks real similar to the U-Can-Do anyone flown one yet?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

for 3d work wingloading is important, but if you like to do some KE and rolling maneuvers you have to think about the plane flying on his side, so big/tall fuselajes flys way better ... a low "fuse loading" can complement wing loading to achieve a great overall flying plane, IMO that`s why profiles fly so nice and that`s why the add of SFG on planes like the showtime; I can bet a kidney you cant do a KE loop on a H9 twist
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I don't want to sound like a broken record in this thread, so I'll try to state it another way:

Full fuselage planes like twists and ucd's are always going to be behind the eight ball when it comes to ACTUALLY FLYING 3D compared to a profile with the same engine. The slab is always going to knife better, and wind up at a lighter weight overall for the same loading so all the 3D pullouts are going to be more exciting and there will seem like a lot of extra power.

If you're learning 3D, that extra power "buffer" is what makes the difference between crashing and saving your butt in "close calls."

Slabs also tend to have better airflow over the tail and wing surfaces from the prop blast-- and that means better control. All around you're going to get more confidence and performance with a slab than any full fuselage (pretty) airplane for 3D. With that confidence you'll be able to get down lower to the ground quicker, and learn faster cause you can see the bird better.

The mojo is definitely among the top shelf 3D performers, which is why you're going to get a ton of recommendations for this babe when anyone says, "I've got this motor, what should I bolt it on." in any 3D forum.

3D forums tend to attract flyers, and more often than not those flyers don't want to compromise performance for looks. So the most brutally honest and pointedly correct opinions come from slab flyers who appreciate the difference between a slab and a twist.

Now that I read you want to have "casual" fun flying, I guess maybe that's not really what a 3D flyer would call the most fun. So perhaps this question should have been posted in another forum (or prefaced with, 3D and sport flying?) Even at higher (non 3D) speeds, I 'd still think a Mojo would fly better than a twist, and land even easier, so maybe what I think you're saying is that (non profile) looks are more important for this next bird of yours, at the expense of some performance.

Heck, why not just get a Funtana then?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM

I really appreciate every ones opinion, It is very helpful to me. I wish I was able to go out and just fly every plane out there to see what I like best , but I can't so This is the best way to find out about what the choices are. I have Swanny's taco which is like a small Mojo. and it is fun but sometimes I want to fly something that looks more like a plane. I am just trying to make the best decicion for me. Thanks for all the input
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a Saito 72 on a Funtana 40. Great to learn on but Funtana's don't 3D well. I have a 27% Great Planes Cap now and it is amazing.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4572.htm

http://www.singahobby.com/okm12.html

something like this coud be a great deal