Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

rolling loop

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

rolling loop

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 PM
custards1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rolling loop

ok i have been doing lots of sim work. i can now do rolling circles on the sim and can now do them on a plane. My question now is how much different is the stick rythum to get a rolling loop i have been trying for a while now and just cant get it right. I know all it is is a timing issue i just cant work it out thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: rolling loop

All you can do is keep doing what you are doing and that is practice. If you can do a rolling circle you can do a rolling loop you just gotta burn the fuel.

The only thing that is different is that the plane is going slower on the uphill side and faster on the downhill side, but saying that is obvious is an understatement.

Keep on practicing and you will get it. [8D]
Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Im doing the samething right not=w, I can do my rollers in both right and left rolling directions. When it comes to the rolling loop, I break the manuver down in half. I do a rolling half imblamen at one end of the field and the a rolling split S at the other end of the field. Then I plane on shortning the distance between the two. When both halfs are acomplished I will then start my rolling loop makeing big loops out in front at show center. This is how I started my rolling circles. Started out with big 1/4 size rolling circles all in a rectangular pattern. Then when I get the fours corners mastered, I start making the rectangle box smaller and smaller. Worked for me and took lots of practice.
NEDYOB
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 AM
TimChurch
My Feedback: (1)

Certian parts of me body seem to shrink on the down side [X(]
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
MRMcFarlandM

Hi guys,
One thing you need to think about is that once the plane get to about the 1 oclock position you need to be pushing it to the outside of the circle, and then let gravity do its thing from about 11 to 9. Then really pull the the center of the loop from 9 to 6.
Which all really comes down to burn a lot of fuel.

one more question are you trying to do this in one roll or a half dozen or so.

Mike,
Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
custards1

At this stage half a dozen or so. i want to be able to do a rolling circle following straight on to a loop and the keep going in the circle all while rolling thanks all
Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do a rolling circle on it's side. Easy.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Daniel Z

Just want to add something; when you are trying to exit on the downline (last 1/4 of the loop), you will need about 1/4 throtle (no throtle, no recover) if the plane has a fair amount of fuse area, if not, maybe 1/2 throtle is needed, also, don´t use 45 deg elevator with 45deg rudder or your plane will want to snap, a little less elevator may help

Daniel
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM
telejojo

I'am just trying to learn a rolling circle, I have done it once and did'nt know what I was doing but since then I keep loosing alt. I need some tips...............
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 PM
krayzc-RCU

get the slow roll down like breathing then move on toward driving the plane with the elevator then move to drving it with just the rudder in all positions then u will do a r/circle like its breathing
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
krayzc-RCU

[8D]
Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 PM
telejojo

Thanks......................I'll start working on it.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Daniel Z

Do one half of the rolling circle first, the second half is more difficult because of the chicken factor, but if you are right with the first half , the second is just the same thumb sequence; also, try to keep it level with the rudder, and little inputs of elevator when you are passing KE to make the circle

Daniel
Old 01-26-2008, 11:16 AM
octanehuffer

I am learning rolling loops as well and the best method for me is to start slow. Like rolling circles, I am starting with only one roll. Much like pattern flying. Gradually I will increase the rolls as the plane comes around to make a loop. I can profeciently do rolling circles left and righ from any attitude. I even close my eyes for a couple of seconds just to see that I know where the plane will be as I imagine it with eyes closed. It really gets you in tune with the brain to fingers coordination. It is hard to do with a strong wind though as it is hard to tell the amount of force the wind will push the plane. Still fun to do though.
PS dont do it at 5' high
Adam
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Whats the best way to do a left hand roll (cross control) as aposed to a right hand roll in a rolling Circle or loop. Thats what messes me up in a left hand roll.
NEDYOB
Old 01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Stick40

Just practice left slow rolls that go from each end of the field. Start out with one roll. Then two. Threee. and so on. Then you can practice slow roll turns. Then keep increasing the roll rate. Then start slow roll loops and so on.

Stick 40
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 AM
3d-harrier

Try this. Imagine the loop you will be flying and put a dot in the middle.

Watch your wing tips, the belly of the plane, and the canopy carefully throughout the loop.

At each point of the roll, move your sticks towards the dot.

For example, if your left wing is towards the dot, then go left rudder. If your belly is inboard, push down elevator, If your right wing is towards the dot, go right rudder. If your canopy is towards the dot, pull up elevator towards the dot. Do 1 roll loops first with low rates to get used to focusing on those parts.

The directions sound rudimentary, but the fact that you're focusing really closely on these parts in relation to the center of the loop really helps you choose which stick to push, pull... Also, when you're at the bottom half of the loop and in trouble, it really helps to know direction of rudder or elevator you need to jam to complete the loop w/out having to bail out early.

These are steps I don't need to do while doing rolling circles. Gravity really makes you work the sticks.

Check out Gernot at the beginning of this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCbAxdFPQ4

At about 43 sec into the vid, you can see he's really jammin the sticks

This guys got nerves of steel
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Awesome vid. At 2 minutes the guy does what looks like a falling leaf. I can't figure out what stick movements to do to get that maneuver.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

Awesome vid. At 2 minutes the guy does what looks like a falling leaf. I can't figure out what stick movements to do to get that maneuver.
anyone?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
3d-harrier

Knife edge spin

Full left rudder at half throttle

Full down elevator

No ailerons.