Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

TOC memories

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

TOC memories

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 02:05 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TOC memories

It would be nice to hear stories of those who saw and possibly were a part of the many great years that the TOC was around.
I have 1 that I remember for a personal reason. Today I am a huge NASCAR fan and at the banquet for the 1st TOC Bill Bennett invited a young driver that he had takin an interest in and was supporting. That night I got to walk up and talk to Darrell Waltrip, I knew who he was at the time but who knew at that time what he was to become. It sure was a good time for me! Mike
Old 04-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Default TOC memories

Never attended but I would have liked too. Whiplash e-mailed me a site with past TOC winners.

http://moleski.net/rc/toc.htm

So, clearly I was wrong! Thought it started before that. And I do remember that picture of the Dirty Birdi with autographs all over it. Thought it was the first TOC, maybe it was another event? Or Hanno did fly a Dirty Birdy? Thought he flew his own design's though.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Whiplash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOC memories

Good idea Mike, will be interesting to see who responds. Darell Waltrip is very cool, "Boogity, Boogity, Boofity". It was always interesting to see celebrities show up out at the flying field, usually before the contest started. We were out practicing at the old field in North East Vegas one evening when Robert Gullah showed up, who would of guessed.

A classic Hanno moment comes from the 1984 TOC. Nobody had seen much of him or his Dad Hans, they liked to practice out on the dry lakes more or less by themselves. Late in the evening a few days before the contest started they showed up at the contest field. After watching Steve fly the 84 Stearman Hanno and his Dad walked over to check it out, all the while Hanno was making low growling noises. They were most immpressed with the amount of noise it made, (4 cuin Sachs growled pretty good). Even then the European and Asian fliers had very strict noise rules back home, this made their engine selection much more difficult than ours (not that its easy to ever find enough power anywhere).
Chris
Old 04-25-2003, 10:52 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default TOC memories

I believe you're referring to Joe Bridi's Dirty Birdy which everyone who participated at the '74 TOC signed. There may still be a photo of it on Joe's website (I can't find the address - sorry).
You are correct about Hanno - he only flew his own designs. I'd have to check but I think he flew a Curare in '74, if not it was a Super Sicroly.
I just got the latest RCM and there's an ad in it for the "new" TOC a one day event (much smaller purse). I hope it keeps the TOC going - Bill Bennett will be missed!!

-Will B.

PS I think the photo of the Dirty Birdy came from MAN originally; so they may have photo on their website.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:42 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many...

I never got to view a TOC in person, but I did see many videos, and followed it closely. It may not be like actually being there, but it was awe inspiring just the same! How about some of these?

A 50% Laser For Mr. Bennett
The Circus & JR Line of Radios
The Circus Circus Emblem Itself
Awe Inspiring Manuevers That Were Firsts (too many to list)
Clouds Of Smoke
Cheers and Yells Galore
The Cristen Eagles Aerobatic Flight Team
Patty and her absolute perfection
A "Big Red" F-18
The Saharra
The Myriad Of Things That Mr. Bennet brought to our hobby through the TOC

...and then there is is one of the biggest...Mr Bennet himself. The man always impressed me even though I never had the privelege of meeting him. A whole volume could be written on what the man did for this hobby! There are many many more, but these are just a few that passed through my head.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TOC memories

Originally posted by flywilly
I just got the latest RCM and there's an ad in it for the "new" TOC a one day event (much smaller purse). I hope it keeps the TOC going - Bill Bennett will be missed!!
A new TOC? I would be very disappointed in an event that didn't try to live up to what Mr Bennett started. Calling something the Tournament of Champions in R/C aerobatics should not be done lightly.

-Doug
Old 04-28-2003, 05:59 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Default A great man

I found this article on Bill Bennetts life. Its worth the time to read it.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...514426930.html