Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

cut off switch for gas engines

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

cut off switch for gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Penuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut off switch for gas engines

Im new to gas engines and i know you need to have a cut off switch for the engine.
So how's the best way to do that and do they make a electronic cut off switch? that you can go through your receiver ? Any help would be appreciated,thank you.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: cut off switch for gas engines

Many of us use the Smartly cut off,a simple,sure and inexpensive way to get that feature.It also programs into the failsafe easy.

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ignition/ignition.htm
Old 03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Penuts

Very interesting, thank you nitro
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can very easily setup a cutoff in your transmitter if you have a computer radio. There should be a function for throttle cut or throttle kill that can be used. You simply activate the mix and assign it to the switch you want to use and then while looking at the throttle barrel adjust the throttle cut mix and throttle trim to get it set where you need it. I typically activate the mix before I setup my throttle servo and then with the mix active with the switch in kill position set the min and max throw on the servo. Once you get the throw set you turn the mix off, and increase the trim until the butterfly is open to about where idle speed will be. Once you get that done you should be able to watch the butterfly open and close as the switch is moved back and forth.

There are also electronic shutoff switches and they work but you dont really need them.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
greyfoxx

Say Penuts! I'm new to gas as well. Here's another Optical kill switch that's a few $$$$ less. It's what I have installed in my GP Ultimate 160 for my Copperhead Venom 45 cc engine. Just another option! http://www.42-percent-products.com/gas-accessories.htm

At any rate, you'll find that "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson some time later!"

Phillp
Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Penuts

Thank you gentlemen for your help, and yes mike i do have a computer radio futaba 9C i'll look into to that,however it dosn't cut the power to your ign. of course being new to gas, I really think
cutting the power is a better way to go but will look into all the options you all have given me,

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
MikeEast

LOL, well remote electrical shutoff is not the most common option for "killing", the engine a mechanical shut off of the butterfly via "throttle cut" is probably the most common because it is the simplest and most effcient way to "kill" the engine from a distance.

However, I think I am catching on, and I think you are just talking about the switch that you use to turn your ignition on and off there are tons of options. Most of the main stream manufacturers made HD switches that you can turn your ignition on and off with the mount to the side of the plane. Most of them have a built in charge jack that will allow you to charge your ignition pack right on the side of the plane.

I know that you can get them through any LHS or online supplier like Tower, Chief, Airwild, Dons Hobby, Horizon.... any of those guys.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Penuts

Mike, maybe i miss lead you i dont know, lets start over
You have two switches one for your receiver and one for your EI ok?
Now you should have a Kill switch also dont you? just like nitro planes, which closes the carb.and stops the engine plain and simple.But in gas engines there's various ways of killing the engine like electronic cut off, or the way you suggested closing the carb just like the nitro planes.
like i said im new to gas and want to do it right the first time,--ya right--
Your way is the most simple way to do it just like nitro planes,IS there a right way and wrong way to kill a gas engine? I guess thats what im trying to figure out, oh sigh! I'll get it. lol
Anyway i really appreciate the help and suggestions. Im learning but slowly.

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2008, 04:01 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Some just use the choke to kill the engine.Some dont use a choke and choke it manual.Some gasser are difficult to shut down by just closing the barrel/butterfly.The smartfly cut off is widely used and is easy to install.There is a manual on line.It does not cost much either.
On mine I have a switch to turn power on, and then I flip the gear switch to allow power to reach the ignition thru the smartfly optical cable.
In failsafe you can program the cut off to take effect in case you get shot down.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
MikeEast

OK, if you are talking about "killing the engine" from your transmitter you can do it with an optical kill but its all but a totally unnecessary thing to add to your plane. I build a fly giant scale planes for fun and for reviews and I have only used a optical switch once. It just happened to be in the plane so I used it but it was no different than a throttle cut.

Most people just use the "throttle cut" function in the transmitter. To do it you just go into the mix, change it from INH to ACT and assign it to a switch. Then you turn the number to say 30. The higher the number the more it moves when you flip the switch after you trim open the barrel when its in the run position. It sounds like you probably already know how to set up the throttle so I wont get into that.

Long story short, closing the barrel kills the engine. Its a simple and effective way to stop the engine from running instantly.

Now, you can use a fiber optic switch to do the same thing, but it ties up a channel on your receiver and it has the exact same effect as a throttle cut. Its just adding yet another step that can be done just as well without it. I suppose the only thing the optical version protects you from that throttle cut cannot is throttle servo failure. With the optical switch if the servo fails you can still kill the engine.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Penuts

Humm, never thought of that, throttle servo failure now no way to cut off engine, verrrrrrry interesting, well i can always go both ways, optical and throttle cut. i kinda think thats what i'll set up to do. on my 9C futaba its really easy to do
Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
MikeEast

This is a good one.

http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-107/index.shtml
Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Penuts

I like that one, thanks for all the help, now time to get going and do it.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Rocketman_

There was an occasion when I needed to shutdown my gas engine in flight in order to land the plane after the throttle linkage broke. The remote kill switch saved me from flying around forever at very low speed and not knowing when the gas would run out.
Also, fully closing the throttle doesn't always shut off my MVVS 26cc gas engine after a hot flight on a Summer day which makes the transmitter's throttle cut feature ineffective.

RCATS makes a fiber optic electronic kill switch that sells for $49.95 but I use their wired RC100 - electronic kill switch that costs only $24.95 ( http://rcatsystems.com/electronics/rc100.php ). The connector plugs into a vacant receiver channel and the other end is wired in series with the ignition switch.
It works perfectly in my MVVS 26cc Ultra RC Giles and it has a green LED that indicates when it is turned on.
The MVVS doesn't create any electromagnet interference issues even when using a plain ole PPM receiver.
The photo shows the tiny light weight kill switch next to a penny in my plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81862.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	916999  
Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Bulletman
My Feedback: (5)

I added a servo to my choke. By stopping the engine with my choke, if is not too long between flights I put the choke in the off position and 3 to 4 turns and its starts. If you lose more than one servo than its a receiver gone bad then your screwed with any option tied to the receiver.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

I have done it every way you can think of, I personally like the Smart-fly and with it I do not put the main switch sticking out of the fuse anymore, the only thing you see is the LED telling you that the ignition is armed and I do that from my radio. I now leave the master on switch inside the fuse and when I get to the field I turn it on when I put the canopy on, it doesn't have any affect on my battery because the power to the ignition kill has low enough drain in the off position that I could leave it on a month and still have a weekend of flight time on my batteries.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

OK, if you are talking about "killing the engine" from your transmitter you can do it with an optical kill but its all but a totally unnecessary thing to add to your plane. I build a fly giant scale planes for fun and for reviews and I have only used a optical switch once. It just happened to be in the plane so I used it but it was no different than a throttle cut.

Most people just use the "throttle cut" function in the transmitter. To do it you just go into the mix, change it from INH to ACT and assign it to a switch. Then you turn the number to say 30. The higher the number the more it moves when you flip the switch after you trim open the barrel when its in the run position. It sounds like you probably already know how to set up the throttle so I wont get into that.

Long story short, closing the barrel kills the engine. Its a simple and effective way to stop the engine from running instantly.

Now, you can use a fiber optic switch to do the same thing, but it ties up a channel on your receiver and it has the exact same effect as a throttle cut. Its just adding yet another step that can be done just as well without it. I suppose the only thing the optical version protects you from that throttle cut cannot is throttle servo failure. With the optical switch if the servo fails you can still kill the engine.

That is all good and well.... as long as the throttle servo is functioning!

I recently was flying my giant Cub on a last flight before dusk when the throttle servo failed at about 1/3 throttle. Since I did not have a remote kill switch to shut off the ignition, I flew the plane another 45 minutes well into dark(no moon) praying for the fuel to run out! Glad it was a slow gentle flying easy to see big yellow Cub and not a faster flying go where it's pointed giant 3D. Throttle shutoff worked for years... but it only takes one servo failure to see the light. I will never fly a giant again without a remote electronic kill for the ignition.

Lucky to still have my Cub - Dan
Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: DMyer

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

That is all good and well.... as long as the throttle servo is functioning!

Lucky to still have my Cub - Dan
Agreed as I mentioned at the end of my previous post. Its a relatively lightweight option to add so its not a big deal to add it in there. There are just so many things on these planes that can fail, heck all of it can fail. Servo arms fall off, servos fail, linkages break and bend, batteries fail, regulators fail, servo extensions come apart, engines fail, wings fail. Granted, this is a way to take all the business out of the business end of the plane so it is a practical option with no real penalty other than a few extra bucks and a channel on your receiver tied up.