Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 funtana s40 setup help!!! >

funtana s40 setup help!!!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

funtana s40 setup help!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funtana s40 setup help!!!

hi guys
i am trying to learn 3D now that i can fly well[8D]
ive got a funtana s40 with a super tigre G51 ring swinging a 12x6 APC. JR ES-539's (4.8kg-cm) in the tail.JR Nes-537's (40oz-in) in the wings. With a JR R770S SPCM RX and a 1100mah 4.8v nicad powering it all. The rudder has 45 degrees travel both directions. Elivators 35 degrees down and 45 up. Alerons 45 degrees both directions.CG is currentley anoud half a centimeter(0.5mm) from the recommended max rearward cg(the one in the manual).

problem 1[]:
It seems to fly pretty well with regaurds to sport flying but when I try knife edges itll sorta hold but wont go streight it just goes in circles(towards the landing gear.[&:]). and requires full rudder deflection along with alot of speed.[&:][:'(] cg maby?

problem 2[]:
Ive tried some hovering, but at the height Im trying it I cant even see what the plane is doing so thats why i can hold one for like a max of 10sec and hovering requires about 6/8ths throttle. Thats why I wouldnt dare bringing it any lower.... pull out....hmm what pull out???[&:] 14x4 wooden prop maby? lol i dont have enough money to buy a new engine...[:@][:'(]

one thing im happy bout'[8D]!!:
It seems to love flying slow lol and dosent mind the fast stuff either. If I drop the flaps I can basically walk next to it...and stall charicteristics are great.... it just has alittle wing rock (which stays under control) and drops the nose alittle. It also dead sticks real nice lol (dont ask how I know that hehe) lol that standard fuel tank is small thou!!

U guys got any ideas with reguard to setup???
Im just starting on the 3D stuff so anytips would be great...!! I am a quick learner though ive only got about 25hours total flying time so far but am better than some guys at my club who have been flying for years lol
Sorry guys I cant afford a four-stroker.... so the G51 will have to do for now unless anyone has got a four stroker gathering dust somewhere lol
P.S. Im just learning so i dont know how to do blenders and that kinda stuff lol..ny tips would be great!!!(just trying hovers and knife-edging is enough to wet my appitite 4 now, till i get it setup correctley)lol
thanks guys
kyle
Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 AM

Default RE: funtana s40 setup help!!!

most models pitch to the belly on K/E, if you have a computer radio just mix rudder (master) with elev (slave) to straighten the model.
be warned though that it is not an exact science and the mix will only work well for one speed and one amount of rudder input.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 AM

oh ok will definitley try it ive got a x6102 so i can program up to four.
thanks
any other tips?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM

to prop hang well you will need

1. a rearward c of g
2. full movement on elev and rudder but not too much expo, you want response in the middle of the stick
3. a quick pick up from idle.
4. get a good sim, AFPD has some models that are life like in the prop hang.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest that you try a prop change as well. 3D` needs lots of prop blast try the APC 12 1/4 x 3 3/4 or even their 13x4 Wide if the ST will swing it.

That model you have will 3D but a profile is better. Try something like a MOJO or a Edge 540 V3 ARF 47 [ OMP ]
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM

k thanks guys!!
i work at my LHS on saturdays so i might just "borrow" the sim for awhile lol...

as for buying a new plane.... hmmmmm dont think thats gonna happen anytime soon lol... so im stuck with the funtana for now. i have a friend with a 14x4 prop which will give alot of prop blast but ill have to be carefull on landings lol...